CSR, Great Central Hwy & Kimberley

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:40
ThreadID: 79406 Views:2903 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi All due to unforseen circumstances have to put off trip to Great Central region, CSR and Kimberley. What I need to know is what are those areas like for late Sept early Oct. Will the tracks be good, washed out etc, Has anyone ventured along them that time of year. Please advise and thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:56

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:56
Hi Boags,

Without knowing exactly where you are going in the Kimberley, here are some general comments.

Sept can be very warm and Oct hot with the possible onset of the wet up the top end and as such could make for unpleasant driving and putting more stress on motors, batteries, aircond etc and increase chances of bogging if the rains have started.

The tracks would have been well travelled by then and probably have corros at there worst. Graders would not hit the tracks that are usually graded until the next season. You may also find that some places that are usually open during the season are closed or have wound down stock/supplies.

Would I travel these areas at that time of the year, no? Why not? Given the amount of money you will spend on fuel, food, the vehicle etc I would rather travel when the weather is more pleasant and get better value for money.

Cheers
Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 421093

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:00
To tag onto Phil's reply.

Doing the CSR in the hotter months will also mean that the sand will dry out a lot sooner in the day so bogging may become more of an issue.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 691365

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:29

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:29
Boags
We came down the top 1/2 of the Canning, in mid/late September last year, and yes, it was hot.
Vehicles were good. But Viv & Ray's Prado's air conditioner, schyte itself at Stretch lagoon (a cracked pipe I believe) and they suffered a bit from the heat.

I believe it was 40+ most days.
The sand was very soft on the Nth side, but with low tyre pressures it was still relativeliy easy.

We were in the Kimberley late August, and earley September, temperatures reached 46 once, with most days hovering between 38 an 40.

As far as the road conditions went, it really depends on where the graders are.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 421145

Sponsored Links