the legality of flashing lights to other motorists

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 19:01
ThreadID: 79409 Views:8434 Replies:11 FollowUps:42
This Thread has been Archived
I was talking to a policeman in Qld today about flashing lights to other motorists. I asked the question after a truck flashed me at night warning he was overtaking me as I have never come across this before despite driving extensively on rural highways at night. I don't have an issue about a truck doing this mind you as I am what you might call a bit of a dawdler at night on the road.

He said that flashing lights as such is not illegal, however flashing high beams or having high beams on within so many metres (200 metres) of another motorist is. An exception to this is to warn a vehicle you are going to overtake ie the truck that overtook me.

He said that if you pass a speed camera and rather than flashing high beams you simply turn your lights on and off low beam than you have not breached that law unless you do it at night because turning your lights off at night is against the law.

I couldn't work out if he was pulling my leg or not as it was a casual conversation. I have done some google searches and looked through dept of transport web site but everything I have found seems to refer to high beams rather than just lights.

Any thoughts from knowledgable people.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:10

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:10
I thought that is what you used blinkers for? Flashing lights behind someone is a silly thing to do anyway

I am sure flashing your lights to warn of Speed Cameras, see below

No go Flashing linkwill bring you a fine in Qld
AnswerID: 421099

Follow Up By: OREJAP - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:25
In some driving schools like emergency services a quick flash of low to high can alert a motorist in front of you at night warns them you are intending to overtake is taught as a courtesy & a notification for that front vehicle to drop their h/beam to low. When you have successfully overtaken the vehicle in front, one flash left & one right on your indicators says thank you to the motorist for the courtesy extended in dropping their lights. This is how I was taught & I was also told "Horses wear blinkers vehicles have indicators" Flashing light to warn motorist would not endear you to the police if they were performing a traffic operation it may encourage the police to pull you over because they believe there is something wrong with your vehicle. A roadworthy check on the side of the road could delay you in your travels!!! But sometimes motorist warn each other by way of flashing their lights that a serious hazard exists further up the road.
FollowupID: 691385

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:20
Come on Tony. A little courtesy, like a quick flash to say I would like to overtake now, doesn't hurt.

This is one of the things drivers used to do all the time. Before the age of road rage. We even used to wave sorry if we made a blue or even thanks for letting me go first.

Phil
FollowupID: 691396

Follow Up By: CJ - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 08:11

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 08:11
I reckon a quick flash to advise that you are overtaking is cutuous, and safe. It is tought in driving schools.

Many times one concentrates so much on what is happening in front of you, and you may float on the road to avoid a road kill or a Macca's wrapper. Not so if you know the truck that was sitting behind you for 20 mins now changed it's mind and is overtaking you.

A flash is good Tony

CJ
FollowupID: 691435

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:37

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:37
Sorry - never had it done to me never done it myself & I repeat I think it is silly. Cant see how it is courteous. Emergency is a different story - go for it if it helps

There is no way you would not know someone at night is going to pass, they speed up indicate out and zoom past, as they get alongside they put their high beam on, you put yours off.

All done with no silly flashes that could be interpreted any way - who is to say that they are not flashing to make you stop as your spare just fell off etc etc.

Having driven on a lot of country roads I will flash to warn oncoming motorists of a hazard just around the corner, mainly during the day.

Any flash caught at the wrong time in the wrong part of your vision could be blinding.

Keep it for emergencies - Cheers
FollowupID: 691500

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:13

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:13
Must say with all the different stages of going from my L's to my semi licence over the years (been driving 26 years) not once was I ever taught to flash my lights when over taking at any stage, usual checks, on with the blinker and out you go. I will thank them using my blinkers once I have moved back over in front of them if they have given me the wave to go around them. My old man was an instructor and eventually become an examiner.
Im with you Tony,,, Personally I dont see the point in it and if some one flashed me from behind I would be thinking some thing is wrong ??
Bit like roundabouts why the hell they bought in the rule of useing a blinker when coming off the round about when your going straight ahead. If your turning left then put the left one on, if turning right use the right one, if going straight ahead then no need to use it, I dont and will not use it if Im going straight ahead. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 691507

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:20

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:20
Steve - You may be interested - In Qld you have the option - If going straight ahead you do not need to left exit blink, or if you wish you can.

Mandatory if taking the first left or blinking right past the next exit, then you must indicate off on the next exit you choose. (Unless you have a lolly packet on your dash and a cheeky passenger :-)

Personally I like to as it helps the person approaching the roundabout at the next entrance to make up their mind if they can go or not.

Why - because too many fools don't use their blinkers

Cheers
FollowupID: 691509

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:33

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:33
Guys all we are talking about is a very brief short blink of the headlights to say "Exceuse me I am just about to overtake". It is so brief that I do not think the HID lamps would even fire up.

Its also help full when overtaking more than one vehicle or a long one.

Anyone with a long FLASH is a tool.

Just another courtesy part of the Aussie way being lost. And I am talking about time back before when the open road was unrestricted. Say between Albury and Melbourne where tjhose long straights are where its darned easy to overtake multiple cars in one go. And they would wave you through. Also mainly in the daytime. Not always at night. Its not alway obvious that the car behind is accelerating until its out there.

Not a FLASH but a brief blink of the headlights. Not long enough to do anything other tha catch the corner of your eye.

Phil

FollowupID: 691513

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:08

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:08
Now all we have to do is to teach the most inconsiderate drivers who sit in the right lane on 100KM's to move to the left lane to let the vehicle behind overtake. I cannot believe how many drivers do this, are either ignorant, or incosiderate.
FollowupID: 691519

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:50

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:50
Phil - We are talking about something that is not correct procedure

This is the QLD Guidelines, it is also how I was taught to overtake in WA

Follow these steps for safer overtaking.
1. Keep a safe following distance behind—see Safe following distance, page 136.
2. Check ahead for approaching traffic and other vehicles.
3. Check behind for other vehicles.
4. Signal right to give sufficient warning to other road users.
5. Accelerate and move right but do not exceed the speed limit.
6. Turn off right indicator.
7. Signal left as you move ahead and clear of the vehicle you are overtaking.
8. Move back to the left lane or line of traffic as soon as it is safe.
9. Turn off left indicator.
10. Overtaking more than one vehicle at a time increases your risk of a crash.

DON'T FLASH YOUR LIGHTS WHEN BEHIND ME OR MY WIFE - WE DO NOT LIKE IT - I assume there is a lot of others that would not like it as well.

The flashing light was always to tell someone they have some sort of trouble.
Cheers
FollowupID: 691530

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:02

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:02
You have to laugh.

I agree with you Terrafirma. And its marvelous how a carefully and safely placed big black bullbar will do!!!! Hey It works.

Then when they are scowling you nod, smile and wave thanks as you gently go by.

Phil
FollowupID: 691538

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:27

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:27
Thats fine Tony and I would agree with that for overtaking. The only thing is the flash or as I said else where its a faint very fast blink. Designed to just catch their eyes. Blowed if I would do a fully fledged fklash in their mirrors. Thats ludicrious. I am sure if you got the my "brief blink" you would not be as mad as I would if someone FLASHED in my mirror also.

Its been around for years. You guys are the first I have heard complain about a simple short blink.

On another matter; I find it frustrating that the law does not allow a leeway above the speed limit to overtake quickly. Once upon a time it was safer to "get out ther, accelerate past the other car and then get back. Now with technology there isn't any leeway. None! ZIP. It can kind of leave you hanging out there. Or sit behind then at 95 ina 100 for 20Kms until they turn off.

Oh well so be it.

Phil
FollowupID: 691542

Follow Up By: 3GoBush - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 21:47

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 21:47
All I can say Tonyfish is you don't look in the rear view mirror often, ever since I was a kid I have observed the flashing of the high beam indicating that someone is about to over take.

A few years ago I was driving a coach with a trailer, A road train approached from behind and sat behind me as it was not an ideal place to pass, a short time later I indicated for him to pass me using my right indicator, just before he moved out he gave me a quick head light flash, when he had safely passed I gave him a quick flash back letting him know it was safe to move back in, he gave me a quick indicator flash left and right to say thanks, I often remember how we had a full conversation and a safe passing manover without saying a word.

That my friend is how you can travel safely around this country without a drama, there would be a lot less road rage if everyone used some common sense and played the game, it is that simple.

It is common practice for race car drivers to flash the light, this allows the slower car to move over and safely let the faster car pass.
FollowupID: 691570

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:01

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:01
Someone who agrees with me. Thanks and have a good day 3gobush

I recall a bloke on a bike who came right up behind me. In the boot one time. It was damned cold. He waved when I looked and gave me the thumbs up. I did the same and he got closer. He wanted some protection from the wind. He stopped with me at Marulan and after he peeled himself of the bike shared a cuppa with me. I left him there as he was going to stay until after dawn. Too cold and fog was a problem for him. The cafe (yep cafe 31) was warm.

Nice bloke.

Phil
FollowupID: 691578

Reply By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:11

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:11
I've been told before that flashing your lights to warn other motorists of a speed trap can be construed as 'hindering Police'
AnswerID: 421100

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:30
I never do this. You speed then its your hassle.

Phil
FollowupID: 691398

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:42

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:42
Phil - If you have never been assisted by someone flashing a speed trap I would be very surprised 99.9% so.

Tell me you have never crept up over the speed limit and...well I will not believe you :-)

Now if you did creep up over the limit while having a day dream, would you not be thankful to the fellow that helped you out - answer is easy

I may it occasionally but I choose where, if its revenue raising on a good safe road then its fair game I recon :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 691502

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:20

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:20
Yep I have been booked twice for creeping over it and took the fine without a challenge. Still wont do it. I was negligent and deserved what I got. Haven't done it since. Those bookings were both in 2001 on the way back from Sydney.

Been booked twice since I got my licence in 1962. Latest was was in 1971 for crossing the old Tumbarumba train line outside Tarcutta on the Hume. A non attanded crossing and speeding more than 15MPH. It was quashed as the train line only existed across the Hume. All the other track had been taken away. I was only doing about 95MPH in a deristricted area of open highway. The car was painted up and he only wanted to have a look. Got quite stroppy when I would not switch it off. I used to always let it cool down a bit first. The extraxtors and exhaust were red hot. Aagga boy. The Tarcutta blokes used to wave.

The previous was in 1984 at Granville. I wasn't speeding. It was impossible for the car to have gotten over 60Kms in the distance. It was my sister in laws Fiat 500. and even the pokliceman admitted to my witness's statement that I had stopped at the lights before starting off. It was only about 100 meters when he pulled me over.

Booked and fined twice in 48 years.

The bookings reminded me to stick to the rules and I do.

I see you freely admit to the fact that you speed and rely on others to kick you and get you back to the speed limit and then after the trap off you go again I bet. You deserve to get booked. And I wonder how many other rules of the road you do not follow. Hmmmmm.

Its easy as opie to do the right thing. Nope won't flash and I hope you are one that gets it.
FollowupID: 691508

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:22

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:22
vk1dx posted:

Boy your nasty - Good buy
FollowupID: 691510

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:52

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:52
"Good buy". Can't even spell either.

Ha Definitely the younger generation and therefore won't remember how good it was to travel with a courteous driver for hundreds on miles. stopa nd have a cuppa and then the other one leads. They were good driving days.

The sentence should have read quote" Good bye" endquote.

Well your the one who says he admits to speeding intentionally aren' t you.

Phil
FollowupID: 691516

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:38

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:38
Phil - You're the man - seems perfect in every way.

No I did not admit to speeding, only that I will flash a driver sometimes. You just read it that way.

End of conversation. Cheers

FollowupID: 691527

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:59

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:59
Yes you did admit to it.

These words say you choose to do it. Quote "I may it occasionally but I choose where" unquote. Also I ma caucasian and "your the man refers mainly to non caucasian so keep it clean.

I am not the man thats that fool Mundine.

This is the main reason we do not tell of speed traps. Have you even noted that traffic coming to a speed trap or camera always slows down and then ups it again. And how many only go back to the speed limit. Now many. They are usually the ones in the left lane being abused by those who choose to accelerate.

I have also been book for other things so I am far from perfect. But I will tell you this. I will NEVER be booked again. I have learnt my lesson.

I learnt to drive when ALL drivers on the open road were friendly. And I kept those habits.

Let them learn the lesson as I did. Then maybe they will not kill someone. Thats why. Cant you see what I am about! I learnt so why can't others. They may listen to the pocket pinch. They certainly do not listen to the TV etc.

Phil
FollowupID: 691536

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:37

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:37
How did you get booked for speeding in 1971?

though they only brought highway speed limmits in 1973

They had a town meeting with the copper and My mum asked wha the limmit was again

to which the copper replied
Dont worry mrs xxx your VW wont do it anyway
FollowupID: 691573

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:57

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:57
Easy: Look back a couple of posts. There was a speed limit of 15MPH through an anmanned level crossing.

Been booked twice since I got my licence in 1962. Latest was was in 1971 for crossing the old Tumbarumba train line outside Tarcutta on the Hume. A non attanded crossing and speeding more than 15MPH. It was quashed as the train line only existed across the Hume and a couple of hundred yards into the paddocks each side. All the other track had been taken away. I was only doing about 95MPH in a deristricted area of open highway. The car was painted up and he only wanted to have a look. Got quite stroppy when I would not switch it off. I used to always let it cool down a bit first. The extractors and exhaust were red hot.

A Wagga Highway Patrol boy. New and was setup by the local cops. When I stopped to check the legalty of it on the way back they said it would be cancelled. Mongrels. I used to do the trip every second weekend. Portsea (actually Balcombe) to Sydney and back to see my girlfriend. Now my wife.

Eight hour drive and doing only 35MPH in towns. No bypasses then. You work out what I was doing. Flying I should say. Talk about easy to stay awake.

Phil
FollowupID: 691577

Follow Up By: PradOz - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:36

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:36
Hi Phil

Not wanting to be caught up in the other argument, but just wondered when i read Balcombe, you must be ex Army apprentice? If so what intake, trade. Me 35th Chippy. Did quite a few of the Balcombe - Toowoomba - Balcombe trips back then before venturing to Sydney, cheers ....
FollowupID: 691612

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:59

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:59
Tech. Went to Sigs. I was an adult tradesman. Had done a lot of the studies outside the Army. Just had to learn the "green" specific gear.

Phil

FollowupID: 691617

Reply By: Featherfoot - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:14
I think that flashing your headlights before overtaking is something that happens in the UK. Or used to.
AnswerID: 421114

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:25
Truckies flashing lights to overtake you use to be very common. I can see nothing wrong with that.

Same as when they are being overtaken by another truck. The one being overtaken will flash his lights to indicate to the other driver it is clear to pull back in. In response the overtaking truck will alternate his blinkers as a thank you signal.

Its just courtesy and its a shame car drivers dont have the same courtesy to other drivers.

In China back in the early 90s. It was a rule that when two cars were approaching each other at Night they would turn their lights OFF completely. Pitch black dark could not see a bloody thing. When it first happened to me I where the bloody hell did he go.
AnswerID: 421115

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 00:24

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 00:24
Wayne
From an old Truckie.....your spot on, and I still do it in my Troopy.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 691415

Follow Up By: petengail - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:30

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:30
when i lived in pakistan it was common practice (not by me) to put on hazard lights when approaching an intersection... it meant I AM COMING STRAIGHT THROUGH.... omg get out of the way lol
FollowupID: 691427

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:28

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:28
Geez Doug,

You turn your lights off when someone is approaching you!!
Thanks for warning me, lol.

Cheers,
Dennis

FollowupID: 691449

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:04

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:04
Dennis
Those Scots have you thinking like a Scot , I was refering to the top line of his post....lol

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 691456

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:36

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:36
May I inquire, with the utmost sincerity and the greatest degree of humility why you would feel the need to flash your headlights at another motorist other than as a warning of a possible road hazard ahead or in the case of a long vehicle (road train??) overtaking you that they were clear to pull back into the left lane.
I fail to see that either of these actions could be considered illegal. If however you were to flash your lights to high beam when an approaching vehicle is closer than the designated distance (200 meters in WA I believe) then you would be contravening the regulation to have your headlights on low beam in that situation.
Now I know I have been guilty of flashing my lights to high beam when an approaching vehicle has their lights on high beam and blinding me to, politely as possible, request they dip their lights, but as far as I am aware this is not strictly legal.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 421126

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 23:07

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 23:07
I like to warn other motorists of a pending speed trap. I also appreciate when other motorists do the same for me.

I am not a speeder. If I am over the speed limit it is not intentional. When highway driving one can easily stray over the limit and a timely reminder to check my speed is appreciated. (as long as it is not from the missus riding shotgun)

Flashing someone who has not dipped their lights is OK if it is more than 200 metres AND your lights don't cause the other driver to be dazed. Most people who drive highways regularly have driving lights, even still at over 200 metres a split second flash is not going to daze anyone. I would have to look it up again to check but that is basically what the Qld dept of transport says.
FollowupID: 691411

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:44

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:44
Pop - I am with you - Hazard only - Cheers
FollowupID: 691504

Reply By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:44
Many hundreds of years ago giving headlights a very quick flash before overtaking was quite common and acceptable in most situations.

It alerts the driver to check his rear view mirror and be aware of an overtaking vehicle, I think the basics of it are very sound.

In todays society it may be less acceptable but I think there is probably a time and place for everything and I have no problem with being warned if someone is planning to overtake me.

As for flashing to warn of speed cameras etc I used to do that all the time but increasingly feel if you are speeding then you deserve everything you get.

I am getting old but I have been known to accidentally hit the lights when I observer an obviously speeding oncoming vehicle, the flasher switch just occasionally get in the way of my hand.

Flashing to warn of police is illegal but it is not illegal to flash to warn motorists to slow down if there is a hazard ahead like a fallen tree or accident on the road.

With everything common sense and a bit of judgment goes a long way.

( I have discussed this with some cop mates over beers and red wine occasionally :-)
AnswerID: 421130

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:55
A bit off topic but I miss the dipper switch on the floor, much safer in my opinion.
Mike
AnswerID: 421134

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:51

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:51
Only if you drive an auto and have dainty narrow feet.

My 1st car was a early Torana; my wide size 11 1/2 feet used to hit the dipswitch if the clutch was depressed to the floor. (Didnt help with the size of mid 70s boots)
FollowupID: 691452

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:18

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:18
I would love to get one of these foot operated dipper switches.

Driving through the mountains sometimes its inconvenient, maybe even difficult to find the dipper switch on twisty roads through the hills. I have on occasion missed it first go. It would allow you to keep both hands properly on the wheel and switch later giving you more road to see without blinding the other vehicle when it "pops" around the corner. May have both types.

Phil
FollowupID: 691483

Reply By: CruisinDub - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:54

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:54
Not really the same 'flashing of lights', but I do like to see the trucks who give you 'all clear to overtake signal' and let you on your way on the country roads.
A reply with a double flash of the hazard lights to say thanks.

As a young boy, we used to flash our lights to our mates when you saw them, driving past each other.
AnswerID: 421149

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:57

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:57
This is usually a good thing but has killed several people who see a right indicator and no oncoming traffic and assume it is clear to pass.

They then have driven into the side of a turning truck.

I have nearly done that once myself.
FollowupID: 691442

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:24

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:24
Same here, D200Dug!

Travelling back from Geraldton to Meekatharra one night behind a semi, nothing else on the road, got the flashing right indicator and started to overtake, only to find that he was turning right towards Paynes Find, lol.
Scared the proverbial out of me, I can tell you.

Cheers,
Dennis

FollowupID: 691447

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:36

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:36
Same here coming through the Darling Downs he slowed down and flicked his indicator for about 2 flashes.

I started to overtake ( with the kids in the car and towing a boat ) when he put the indicator on and went to turn right into a driveway.

Not something I want to do again.
FollowupID: 691450

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:28

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:28
Ditto, following a 3 trailer road train in the dust near Miles. Got the flashes and took off only to see the prime mover turning in to a staiton gate.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 691476

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:47

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:47
I think the moral of the story is CHECK FIRST before planting your foot.

Probably a good time to give a flash with high beams to let the driver know what you are planning to do !
FollowupID: 691477

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:33

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:33
I like the okaye to overtake blinker flash and usually tip the horn as I pass the cabin.

BUT I ALWAYS WATCH FOR BRAKE LIGHTS before committing. It means he MAY be turning or there is a problem. One should also pull out and have a gander before committing. This will also show up any traffic, turnoff etc or something you are just not sure about. In dust I talk to them first. No response then either one of three things.
Shut your eyes and take your life in your hands, or
Stop and make a cuppa, or
Drop way back and wait.
Tomorrow's another day and I want to see it.

There are also a few things I think of such as: Have you ever come across a truck travelling at speed (legal highway type speed) who does a right hand turn. Not many hey. They will always touch the brakes even if just lightly. You would be a little short-sighted and negligent if you went prematurely. That's why I never do it in town.

It is another of those great traditional highway or outback courtesies only. So is the thanks afterwards. Even a nod when he pulls into the same roadhouse. later.

Phil
FollowupID: 691485

Follow Up By: bgreeni - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 15:39

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 15:39
I think the system in the UK is safer where a flash of the left blinker means OK to overtake
FollowupID: 691497

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:18

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:18
I agree,by turning on your LEFT indicator you allow one of two things. Either you are going to turn left or it is clear to overtake.
Easy understood whereas a RIGHT indicator also allows two things. Either the vehicle in fron is going to turn right or it is unsafe to pass.
Works both at night and during the day.
FollowupID: 691499

Reply By: dereki - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:59

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:59
My motor bikes all had a little "overtaking" yellow push button near the high/low beam switch. This was there for flashing high beam and is noted in the instruction manual as the overtaking flash button. I figure this is more common overseas.

AnswerID: 421187

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:25

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:25
Found this on the RTA website.

When you’re ready to overtake
Check your mirrors.
Signal that you’re going to change your position for long enough to give sufficient warning to others.
Check your blind spots before turning your wheel to move out.
Overtake and pull back into your lane with plenty of space between you and the other vehicle. You should be able to see the vehicle you have overtaken in your rear vision mirror before you change lanes to move in front of it. You must also check your blind spot to pull back in.
If you’re overtaking on a country road at night (a situation that requires extreme caution), then you need to think about your lights. You may find it necessary to put on your high beam when you draw level with the car you’re overtaking so you can get a good view of the road ahead.

Flashing
When you overtake another vehicle, you’re allowed to briefly flash your high beams immediately before starting to overtake.

There is more in article. To read look at

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/geared/driving/getting_past_it.html

All the cars I have ever had that had high beam on a stalk, has the word pass indicating pulling the stalk in. Pushing forward is high.
AnswerID: 421233

Reply By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 20:58

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 20:58
Just to add a bit more to the debate.....many truckies (nay most truckies) when overtaking each other at night flash the overtaking truck to let him know his trailer is clear and it is safe to move left again. I also pay some of the faster moving truck traffic this courtesy at night as my night vision is not what it used to be and I tend to stay about 10kph below the highway speed limit. Frankly, I think a quick flash never hurt anyone..............except of course if you are an exhibitionist and then you could get either a laugh/fine/smack in the mouth etc...
AnswerID: 421244

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:16

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:16
We found on our travels the road trains appreciated a brief flash when their trailers cleared your vehicle

Quite often could see them watching in the mirrors and got an occasional wave.

Must be bl***y hard to guess where the back end 57m behind you actually is.

On the other side of the coin are the idiots in cars who nearly take your bullbar off when they chop straight in front of you.

FollowupID: 691690

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 00:30

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 00:30
Or the idiots in cars that overtake a truck, coming close to taking their bullbars off, only to slow down/stop ten yards up the road to make a turn.
FollowupID: 691737

Sponsored Links