Chinese Inverter Generators

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:47
ThreadID: 79420 Views:5400 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with the Chinese Inverter Generators similar to the Honda, Yamaha etc. now on the market? They seem to be selling well so someone must be using them. Any reports good or bad are welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OREJAP - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:01

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:01
I suppose you get what you pay for & apparently there are numerous factories in China exporting gennys. Most of the Honda & Yammy look alikes or copies are OK. I have one & never had a problem over 4 years. However mine is 10 KG heavier than a Honda. I think it is 64 to 67 decibells (noisy as a lawn mower) a lot noisier than the Honda. I carry two ext. leads & put it well away from everyone. But the Chinese model I have was not expensive $601 on Evil Bay & I picked it up from Melbourne. This Generator is rated at 3 KVA maximum & about 2700. normal operation. It will do what most Honda 2 won't & that's run the heating or A/cond, lights & microwave without tripping out. It does not have the warranty the Honda has or the resale value but who cares at the price you buy them for IMO.
AnswerID: 421167

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:16

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:16
I use a couple of Kipor gennies which have been great over a period of 5 years, they aren't made as well as a Honda but are better than the no name Chinese brands. When's it's too good to be true....???? It is..
AnswerID: 421176

Reply By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:23

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:23
Heaps of them on ebay at the moment,, quoting twice the power output of the "usual" brands at sometimes half the price. Make from that what you will...
AnswerID: 421191

Follow Up By: lesterb - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:36

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:36
Thanks Road Warrior. That's where I saw them. They have 12-13 months parts (I guess that excludes labour) warranty. One supplier in Brisbane the other is in Northern NSW. I'm hoping someone on this forum has already bought one and can report on what they are like. If not I'll buy one and post my thoughts here.
FollowupID: 691486

Reply By: ob - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:05

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:05
Any particular brand?

ob
AnswerID: 421219

Follow Up By: tojofixa - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:09

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:09
Many of the retailers selling the Chinese brand generators are quoting engine output in Kilowatts as the generator output. Engine output & generator output are two entirely different issues and you should be very careful to read the fine print before committing to one of these generators.
The ones that don't give a max. & continuous output for the genny in their specs. should be avoided.

Hope this helps.
DS
FollowupID: 691589

Reply By: Wilko - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:25

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:25
Hi Lester,

In my line of work, I have tried Chinese replacements for some of our parts.

My experience is that the Chinese copy has obviously been reverse engineered so they dont fully understand why certain parts are designed or have the characteristics that they do.

The Chinese built equipment also had varied degrees of quality, some not bad others poor, this reflects to a poor QA program.

The Chinese mostly reverse engineer products which means that RD (improvements to the product) isnt being supported.

I personally believe that if we (consumers) want better products, then we shouldnt ever buy reverse engineered products, Look for quality and for companies prepared to do R n D.

If not then itll be a race to the bottom of the quality barrel.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 421273

Sponsored Links