Visa info please fellers

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:25
ThreadID: 79437 Views:2150 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, thankyou for entertaining me these last few months as I read the forum threads.
I seem to remember reading about non residents spending a year travelling around Australia..... how does that normal visa for us would be 3 months max in any one year.
Wife and I fly out in September and hopefully 'do the lap' subject to obtaining the necessary visas that is.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spana - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:35

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:35
Geoff, not entirely certain on all the details, but as I understand it Int. travellers can get a work visa, fruit pick in the rural ares for 3 months, then get granted another year visa.
Not exactly sure how the details work but I found this searching the web myself for travelling work.
This may not be for you, but a bit of info non the less

AnswerID: 421253

Reply By: Cruiser .- Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:06

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:06

Hope this helps


General visa requirements
Anyone who is not an Australian citizen needs a valid visa to enter and spend time in Australia.

Before travelling to Australia
With the exception of New Zealand citizens travelling on New Zealand passports, all foreign nationals must obtain a visa before travelling to Australia. (New Zealand citizens are issued with a visa on arrival in Australia.)

Visas are available from Australian visa offices such as Australian Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates. They are also available from travel agents and airlines in certain countries.

Please note that:

airlines may refuse to allow travellers without valid visas and passports to board their aircraft;
it is recommended that intending visitors first obtain a visa before purchasing airline tickets, Olympic and Paralympic tickets, or entering into any other financial commitments dependent upon entry to Australia;
visitors are subject to visa requirements while in Australia; and
tourists are not allowed to work during their visit to Australia.
People who want to work need to apply to an Australian visa office for a temporary residence visa. Penalties apply for people who breach work conditions.

Types of visas
The type of visa you will need depends on how long you wish to stay in Australia and what you want to do during your stay.

For example, you may want to make a visit as a tourist, or business person, or you may want to live temporarily in Australia to play sport, train or work.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)
An ETA is an electronically stored authority to travel to Australia for a short stay.

ETAs are generally available to passport holders from 31 countries in Europe, Asia and North America, through participating airlines and travel agents. The Australian Government does not charge external service providers to offer this service to travellers.

ETAs are available for tourism and business purposes. Tourist ETAs are free of any Government charge, but credit card payments are required for long validity business entry ETAs.

For more information, see the ETA website.

Tourist visas
Normally valid for 12 months, during which time you may make as many visits as you like for up to 3 months stay at a time.

It is possible to obtain tourist visas which allow you to stay for more than 3 months at a time, or which are valid for travel longer than 12 months.

Note that a fee is charged for tourist visas.

Business visas
For people wishing to undertake business in Australia for short periods. The length of stay in Australia, number of journeys permitted and period of validity of the visa should be discussed with an Australian visa office.

In some circumstances, the visa can be valid for at least five years (or the life of the passport - whichever is the longer) and allow any number of business visits of up to 3 months each during the five years. There is a fee for all business visas.

For more information, see the Immigration web pages for Business People.

Temporary residence visas
For those who intend to come to Australia temporarily to undertake specific activities. People involved in a range of activities such as employment, study, amateur and professional sporting, entertainment or cultural activities can use this type of visa.

Those seeking temporary residence may need to be sponsored by an Australian organisation or prospective employer in Australia.

If you are making a number of visits to Australia, apply for a long-term validity multiple entry visa.

There are temporary residence visas available to cover the following:
sport - for high calibre amateur or professional sport people taking part in acceptable competitions or training programs;
media and film staff - for correspondents and other professional media staff posted to Australia by overseas news organisations, and photographers and film and television teams making documentaries or commercials for overseas markets;
entertainment/cultural - for people in a wide range of entertainment and cultural events/activities. The need to protect the employment of Australians in the industry is taken into account before the visa is granted;
study - for people who want to undertake registered courses on a full-time basis;
working holiday - for young people from the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands, Canada, Malta and the Republic of Korea who want to travel in Australia and have the opportunity to work to supplement their funds. (Australia has reciprocal agreements for young Australians to take working holidays in these countries.);
employment - for employers to recruit key personnel and overcome temporary skilled labour shortages.
For more information, see the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs web pages for
Temporary Residence and Students

Visa fees
For information on visa fees, please visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs website.

Visa expiry
Don't overstay your visa! If your visa is about to expire, you should leave Australia or seek advice from a Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs office. Serious penalties apply for people who have an expired visa.

This information has been sourced from the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs website and should serve as a guide only. For up to date information on Visas and Immigration, please visit the nearest Immigration office, or the Department's Website.



AnswerID: 421259

Follow Up By: nighttrain - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:37

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:37
Hi Geoff,
Well I think I can really help you but what country are you coming from? I know because my hubbly and I are about to do it, we leave for Australia in late July and plan to spend at least a year doing the lap and if not done will try and apply for an extra visa for hubby otherwise he will leave go home and reapply for another 12 month visa. Like Cruiser wrote dont overstay your time and make sure you have all your paper before you book your plane tickets because they(government) might take longer then you think and you need it before you can enter. If you need anymore question answered I am sure we can help you as we have been planning this for nearly 1 year and done alot of research. good luck.
FollowupID: 691598

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff F (INT) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 15:44

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 15:44
Thankyou all for your response.....

nighttrain we coming from UK,
subject to confirmation of nieces wedding date in Brisbane we have yet to choose whether to land in Perth or Brisbane etc and start our tour ending up in the right area for the wedding.
we are ...wife 47 myself 58.... taking a 'year out' ...

looking fwd to hearing back from you....cheers
FollowupID: 691659

Follow Up By: Member - Tricky Dicky (NSW) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:35

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:35
Hi Geoff
my family come over from uk on 12 month tourist visa's but don't always stay that long, i think they have to have enough money to last them and proof of somewhere to stay.
also check with airlines i,m sure its cheaper to fly direct into Brisbane and then book flights to Perth later
FollowupID: 691693

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff F (INT) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 02:59

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 02:59
Sorted, many thanks to one and all.

Australia House London put me onto the right one for us.... apply on the internet, just plan and dream in the meantime.

Thanks again :)
FollowupID: 691743

Follow Up By: nighttrain - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:51

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:51
Hi Geoff,
that is the best thing to do and that is talk straight to the Australian embassys, which is what we did too. They are very helpfull and directed us in which forms to full in. We got hubbys visa real easy so now ready to go. We are coming from USA. I am an aussie so didnt need to get a visa and with me being Australian made it alot easier. It will be a trip of a lifetime and cant wait to start. We are buy a car and caravan when we get there and then off we go. Now with time getting closer I am getting excited and cant believe we are coming to my country and seeing as much as possible in 1 year and if we dont get it done we will come back and see more if able to get hubby another visa. We are very close in age to you. Good luck with your travels and maybe one day will catch you going around the great country of Australia. Safe travels
FollowupID: 691776

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)