Swap over LPG bottles.

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 19:48
ThreadID: 79450 Views:3708 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I spend a fair bit of time on the road and rely on LPG for cooking etc. I'm finding it harder now to get gas bottles refilled, most servos etc will only exchange now which brings me to the point of this post.
Many (most) of the bottles I'm being given now are well out of date, cunningly the date on the collar is covered by sticky tape. Obviously no supplier of gas will refill these and when you swap them they charge extra you for an "Out of Date " bottle.
I have sent eMails to two large companies (one camping and one hardware chain) both guilty of this practise but was ignored.
A couple of years ago I lost two nearly new bottles before I woke up to backward trade and now am stuck with out of date bottles.
Without removing the tape to check the date while an impatient sales assistant stands by is there an easy solution ?

Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ianw - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:18

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:18
Well, this is a copy n paste from the Swap n Go website, the date is / should not be checked when you swap.

You can swap any brand of BBQ gas bottle at SWAP'n'GO. In return you'll receive an inspected, tested and safely filled bottle. Once you have a SWAP'n'GO bottle you don't never have to worry about checking test dates every time you swap, it'll always be in date.

Ian
AnswerID: 421361

Reply By: Jo K - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 23:12

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 23:12
You can swap out of test cyls at any Bunnings store for a fully in date, compliant cylinder. They take any cylinders as long as they have the collar and are free of rust. You cant get them refilled if they are out of test date but you can easily swap them with the Kwikgas cylinders.

Cheers JO
AnswerID: 421377

Follow Up By: Jo K - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 23:13

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 23:13
Coles Express Service stations should do exactly the same for Kwikgas.
Cheers Jo
FollowupID: 691736

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 08:28

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 08:28
One of the reasons why I have purchased my own bottles and have them refilled.
I usually carry a 4.5kg and 3kg cylinder on my travels.

The other reason is that both my two 9kg cylinders (for home use) and the 4.5kg cylinder have gauges built in to them so I have a visual reference to how full (or empty) they are.

I don't believe the replacement of a cylinder every ten years is false economy and the cost of testing one is almost the cost on a new one.
I have no problem in having any of them refilled, most of the time at home base, but I have had one filled at the Innamincka Store.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421385

Follow Up By: Ianw - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 19:08

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 19:08
When you have a Swap n Go or Kwikgas bottle, you own it! It is yours to refill, swap, make into a BBQ etc. By swapping occasionally you always have a bottle that is in date !!

Ian
FollowupID: 691813

Reply By: Fatso - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 20:31

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 20:31
I know where you are coming from Rob.
We were caught out after hours & went to one of those bottle swap places some years ago with relatively new bottles & I have never seen a bottle any where near as new since.
If ever I do see a relatively new bottle I will do what others seem to do & that is to hoard it & not go back.
The wife has taken to going to a refill station & getting the bottles refilled as it is a lot cheaper.
AnswerID: 421591

Follow Up By: racinrob - Monday, Jun 21, 2010 at 08:11

Monday, Jun 21, 2010 at 08:11
Thanks for the support Fatso, in spite of others saying it doesn't happen I've spoken to many on the road and it is a widespread problem , I've been caught several times. In Horsham a 4kg swap bottle for $30 ! the attendant wouldn't let me see the date on the collar before purchase and as I was out of gas I had very little option, grrrrrr.

Rob.
FollowupID: 692010

Sponsored Links