12V fuel pump

Submitted: Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 13:24
ThreadID: 7946 Views:5382 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
To save my back when refuelling from jerry cans, I thought I'd do some research and see if there was an easier way.
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 12V fuel pump that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket? Or have I just imagined one of these things? It doesn't have to be tultra fast as there is plenty time of time when setup at camp.

Cheers
Jeepy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:23

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:23
Plenty of air powered pumps available, plenty of 12v diesel pumps available from rural suppliers, but don't know of an off the shelf petrol version, not hard to make one up if needed using an automotive 12v pump etc. (bosch inline, holley red etc.)

If you have a compressor the air powered version is the safest way to go..Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 34458

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:07

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:07
Bradley

Could you please supply brand names of the air pump/s available (Diesel) and any clues on where to get one of them in Melbourne.

Thanks

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 24828

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:34

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:34
I have a GU patrol and sit the jerry can on the spare wheel and use a jiggle syphon hose, no holding only the lift to get it up there.
AnswerID: 34460

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:48

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:48
The concept is simple but the risks are frightening.
An electric pump fitted by a vehicle manufacturer has the electric sparky bits seperated from the fuel (the stuff that goes bang). The fuel is in pipes or tanks that stop any fuel vapour from getting near the pump. Even submersible pumps that late model vehicles use meet this criteria.

Your problem is that you have an open fuel supply at both ends. One being the jerry can and the other being the fuel tank inlet. The risk of fuel vapour igniting is very high if there is anything likely to create a spark.

Spark producers can include:
-The pump if it is not sealed. (They rarely are)
-The pump wiring connections.
-The pump switch.
-Connecting or disconnecting the power plug while fumes are present.
-Static electricity discharge. (even the fuel flowing induces a static build up)
- Other people doing things around you that you weren't expecting

and there are obviously others. If something does go whoomph, you also have fuel being supplied under pressure to feed the flames.
I guess that is why you don't find commercial kits, they can't control the use and therefore can't guarantee their safety.

Doesn't mean it can't be done and be done safely but there is a lot to think about.
Kinda explains long range tanks.

Of course you could always try smaller jerrycans.

good luck
AnswerID: 34462

Reply By: jeepy - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:11

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:11
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Andrew you make a really good point that I didn't think of (whoops!!) Even if it can be done its a tad dangerous for my liking. I might try and find one of those hand pumps, it'll be slower but I'd prefer the safer option

Cheers
Jeepy
AnswerID: 34475

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:23

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:23
Ken - i can't recall the maker but they have an ad in the 4x4 monthly mag. their air pump is a unit that fits the top of standard jerry cans and uses air pressure to displace the fuel out through the hose. Definetly the safest option as there is no electrical input.Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 34481

Follow Up By: jeepy - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:12

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:12
Bradley, do you mean these ones http://welcome.to/latstone
Just found it in 4WD monthly, and I only recently "upgraded" to plastic cans. Might have to get some steel ones, only prblem with the steel ones is they tend to scratch things.

CHeers
Jeepy
FollowupID: 24863

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:50

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:50
Yeah guys , that is the one i have seen , would be easy enough to make one to suit your plastic jerry cans, you only need a spare cap some ally or copper pipe, two bulkhead fittings , ball valve, air line fitting and some hose. good luck, Brad.Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 34685

Reply By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:23

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:23
Hey.. A Jiggler is LIGHTER!
AnswerID: 34730

Sponsored Links