Prado Diesel 2005 onwards

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:32
ThreadID: 79468 Views:3922 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all

I did a search here, also went over to Pradopoint, but can't find out what I really want to know, so I figure asking owners is a better option.

My brother is preparing to tour for a considerable period of time in the next 2 years, towing a van of some sort, (probably 'mid-sized' caravan). He has done a fair bit of research regarding a tug, and come up with Toyota Prado diesel 2005 onwards, as the preferred vehicle.

Could any owners of one of these Prados give him a heads up on what specifically to look for, avoid, or any known issues, before he spends his hard earned cash please?

He doesn't intend to be doing any rough outback travel, probably mostly black top & the occasional gravel road. He just needs a comfortable, capable, not too thirsty tow vehicle. Sorry, no details on weight of van, it's all still in the planning at this stage.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:41

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:41
Hi Bushwackers
I had a early 2005 great vehicle towed 18 foot pop top no problem's 2150kgs.
Upgraded to 20 foot caravan 2200kg and it struggled on the hills.
Upgraded tug to D4D Prado and it handles van with ease. Both are GLX auto.
Think they went to D$D in late 2005
Hope this helps
Charlie
AnswerID: 421397

Follow Up By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:46

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:46
Need glasses on sould be D4D
FollowupID: 691760

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:59

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:59
Hi Charlie

Thanks for that, it's the exact type of info he needs.

I have a T/D Jackaroo with its inherent problems, we know about the problems SOME Nissan owners have encountered, and are looking to avoid this type of problem if possible.

Everyone has a budget, so he is looking at a used car, but neither of us know anything about Prado history.

Should have mentioned he will be travelling solo, but prefers a wagon type vehicle rather than a ute.

Thanks again, Dave

FollowupID: 691762

Reply By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:43

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:43
Hi Dave, if he can afford it get the later model D4D heaps more grunt for pulling and better on fuel, the old 1kz is a great motor and reliable but personally think it is too small for the 120 series prado's. The D4D had a couple of issues which were injected related and some known engine mount problems, not allot of them but I personally know of a few myself. The last lot of modified injectors was April 08, if its had any injector issues it would have had the latest injectors put in place. Prior to April 08 they also have a programme to re flash the computer for the injectors Toyota are not advertising it unless some one comes in with problems. Its all mainly related to cold starts. They can be really rattly/noisy, some people worry about it but seems to be fairly common with all the later injection systems, hilux's,prado's,pajero's and so on. It's not one of those things that will not leave you stranded but the vehicle will just run rough, wont go into limp mode or anything like that. Not trying to scare you off a prado (have one myself) just some thing for your brother to be aware of when looking for his vehicle but great vehicle otherwise. I would have one but don't have the extra $$ at the moment to upgrade..One mod I really think he should look at would be suspension upgrade to carry the weight and possibly some rear air bags as well to keep it all nice and level, and dual battery set up so he can run the van lights/fridge etc if need to. The list goes on depending on exactly what he intends doing. If you need to know any more about the couple of issues with the D4D send me a pm and I will give you my number and give me a buzz. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 421411

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:48

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 13:48
Hi Steve

Thanks for the info, and offer of phone number. I certainly will give you a pm as time gets closer to buy.

Thanks again, Dave
FollowupID: 691775

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 17:19

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 17:19
Good day Steve and Dave,
As Steve said the d4ds go like the clappers. We run heaps of the latter d4ds in Prados, luxs and Hiace 14 seaters and have had very little trouble. We tend to ignore the noisy starters. We are starting to have trouble with Hiace buses that transport workers to the mines in the Hunter, but it is fuel related. We recently had one broken down on the side of the road. The filter had heaps of water and algae in it, but the problem was getting it going again after fitting a new filter. You cannot crack an injector like the older diesels. If we pumped the plunger like mad it would idle but die as soon as you stopped. Eventually we had to resort to aerostart or get a tilt tray. Took two goes with aerostart before it went.
I am sure they got crap fuel out of a tank, so would not happen with a private owner unless in the outback.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 691793

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 21:40

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 21:40
Slightly off topic, but, i ran an Isuzu truck out of fuel and did what you normally do (for deisel) and couldn't get the thing to start, end up getting road service as the batterys where begenning the deplete to a stage where they where going flat, anyway, what we had to do was to prime up the common rail injection system as well as the pump, crack open a 10mm bolt , pump the primer pump till you see feul, and away it went
I have no idea if the D4D (or other CRD's) need the same process, might be worth finding out.
Shane
FollowupID: 691849

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 17:19

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 17:19
We hired a 2009 model Prado(39000kms old) last weekend to drive up the Bloomfield track to Cooktown, we only had it for 3 days but I was pretty impressed with the engine and comfort of the vehicle.I was as quiet as a mouse, went like a petrol and used very little fuel.Handled on road like a car(more comfortable than most cars) and was a pleasure to drive.
Off road(well, Bloomfield track) it needed better suspension.We had 8 people in it and it bottomed badly(third row seated people got beat up bad) on smallish pot holes.The front seemed to handle it OK.And we were driving quite slowly.
Overall I was pretty impressed with the vehicle.With decent suspension in it, it would be a great tourer.
AnswerID: 421435

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 18:24

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 18:24
Thanks everyone, seems like they are basically a good vehicle, will just have to keep an eye open for the points that were mentioned. Also, this is good info for me personally, as I will be looking to upgrade in about 12 months, and a Prado looks to be the favourite on my list too.

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 421570

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Monday, Jun 21, 2010 at 13:09

Monday, Jun 21, 2010 at 13:09
Hi Dave,
They are a good thing but a bit overpriced in my opinion.(I see what we get for exrentals) Do not forget the Paj , the 3.2 has forged a very good rep and better value second hand.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 692030

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Jun 21, 2010 at 15:59

Monday, Jun 21, 2010 at 15:59
Hi Pete

Thanks for mentioning that, I will relay your thoughts to my brother, and keep it in mind for when I am ready to update.

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 692040

Sponsored Links