VMS 500 Touring GPS importing from Oziexplorer

I have the Touring 500 and Oziexplorer on my PC. I’m trying to import waypoints / routes from the PC to the VMS but having some trouble. The website shows how to do it if you have Memory Map installed, however I’m using Oziexplorer..

Can anyone assist?

Thanks, The Landy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 16:09

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 16:09
The VMS unit should just look like an external drive under Windows Explorer.

You should be able to use Explorer to move the files from the Data directory on the PC to the same directory on the VMS unit's SD card.

Alternatively, you could use a card reader to do the same thing, inserting the SD card from the VMS unit into the card reader, connecting this to your PC via a USB cable and performing a similar copy/paste function.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421547

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 18:49

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 18:49
Sand Man is on the right track.

With the SD card in the PC's card reader:
Saving tracks on the PC: Cllick on "Save" button and click on "Save tracks to file". Change the file name as required and press "Save".

Open up Windows Explorer. Have a look at the structure of the Oziexplorer folders on the PC and the Ozi folders on the SD card. They are the same. Move a copy of the .plt and .trk files from the Data folder on the PC to Data folder on the SD card.

With the SDcard in the VMS:
Loading the Waypoints: Open the Open File Menu and select Waypoints. Select the "Import WPs from file". Scroll and or select the file you stored the waypoints in on the PC and press OK. Close the menu with the 'x'.

Loadind the track file: Open the Open File Menu and select Track Log. Select the "Import track tail file". Scroll and or select the file you stored the tracks in on the PC and press OK. Close the menu with the 'x'.
Map & Data Files menu.

To display the tracks: Open the View menu and select Tracks. Depress "Show" to display the tracks on the screen.

I forgot the last step fthe first few times.

Hope this helps.

Phil
AnswerID: 421572

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 18:59

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 18:59
Landy

One more bit may help.

I was happy to see that when you have the SD card connected to the PC you can get at the help file for OziCE that stored in the \Ozi\Help folder on the card. Double click on the file "ozice_d_help.chm" with Windows Explorer and it displays quite nicely on the PC. Its a compiled HTML file and works a treat. Have a squi8z even if just out of curiosity. I moved a copy to the PC myself and printed a few pages for the car. It also displays well in the VMS.

It is one of the easiest help files I have read in ages.Well done to the Ozi team. Looked at it from a users point of view not a designers/engineers side. Excellent.

Phil

FollowupID: 691947

Reply By: The Landy - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 20:41

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 20:41
Thanks Phil & Bill (has a ring about that!)

After posting earlier today, I went and had a cup of tea, gave it some thought and realised that I just needed to transfer the data into the data folder on the card after noticing that was where the VMS looks for the data (Light comes on!).

I created numerous waypoints today for our trip to the Gulf starting next week, and created routes, both of which I have downloaded into the VMS.

Once again, thanks Gents.........

The Landy..
AnswerID: 421596

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:46

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:46
Marvelous what a cuppa can do.

I have added made some waypoints active and added recordings (".wav" files for OziCE) about the area to them. Things like. We are staying in the park on your right. Things to do in the area (good pub here) . Even comments about whether to take the left or right track depending on the weather etc. Not for navigation but to remind me and the others in the car why we came this way etc. Handy to spread around the convoy etc. Reminders to stock up etc. Nothing flash just helpful stuff.

Not a bad bit of sftware.

Phil
FollowupID: 692119

Reply By: Lachie - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:13
Hi,
How do you like Oziexplorer compared to Memory map ?
For watching the map while driving I prefer M map. Seems easier to read.
But I love all the extras on Oziexplorer that you can have on the side of the map.
Compass , Alt. Speed and so on.
Lachie
AnswerID: 421725

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:48
Hi Lachie
I don’t have any experience with Memory Map, despite my VMS coming with the software.

I have had OziExplorer for quite some time and found it very easy to use, especially if you want to create tracks with waypoints, and commentary.

Regards
FollowupID: 692121

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:56
We prefer Ozi.

It took a while getting used to as the mode we have it in is always north to the windscreen. Fine now. The VMS unit is in the dash and I had to make a shield from the sun for it but that was all.

As far as Ozi is concerned I particularly like the waypoints and the ability to add comments and ".wav" recordings to them. Things like an active waypoint that when we drive into the area there is a message that plays through the stereo saying to remember to give home a call or to check with "Bob" about the road to his place.

Home made stuff that I always forget or need a reminder with. Whether to take the left or right track depending on what was said back in town. Or "This place has a ripper of a bakery". Hmmmm.

Priceless to me.

Phil
FollowupID: 692123

Sponsored Links