636 articles on campovens Which one says how to prepare one?

I have been sitting here searching EO for an article I found last week on how to prepare a camp oven from new. It had instructions for "cooking" it in an ordinary oven at home at around 300 degrees etc etc. How to initially wash it and so on.

Blowed if I can find it. Or even one to say simply how to do it.

PLEASE do not tell me to search EO. Thats what I have been doing for half an hour. Searching and reading. All the ones I read were saying how to use it. Not how to prepare it.

Help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:59
try here..it aint EO but
AnswerID: 421711

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:59
pst Google found it immediately
FollowupID: 692109

Reply By: Peter Horne [Krakka] - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:02

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:02
Firstly wash thoroughly in hot soapy water and dry. Wipe completely all over inside and out with cooking oil, don't waste your best olive oil, don't use so much oil that it runs, then put in your oven or bbq with a lid at around 200-250 deg celcius for a couple of hours. Leave to cool for a while and while it is still quite warm wipe with oil again and leave to cool completely. Best if you repeat this process a couple more times . NEVER use detergent to wash it out. Shouldn't be reqd anyway. After cleaning just wipe completely dry and give a spray with the oil in a spraycan. Have used this method for a couple of years now and never had any problems.

Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 421714

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:06

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:06
Thanks Krakka and whoever member no 1 is.

That will do. Off to the kitchen now to turn the oven on.

Phil
AnswerID: 421715

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:19

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:19
I have said it before. This comes from my dear old Gran. She was born in 1900 and grew up with cast iron cookware. I found some in the back shed when I bought my first house and asked her how to restore it for use.

She said. Fill it with fat, she would have used fat gathered from cooking meat, but she also said cooking oil would do. Put it on the stove top on the lowest heat you can manage, do not burn the oil, and leave it there for as long as you can. Repeat a couple of times.

I did what she said. I filled the cookware with oil and put it on the stove top turned down low. I left it there for 8+ hours and then let it cool. The next day I did it again, I used the same oil. Then again the next day. Fortunately I am a shift worker and was able to supervise this process I would not leave it unattended. I have repeated the process from time to time since.

I have an oven and a large skillet or frying pan. They have long lasting non-stick surfaces that have withstood many years of camping and occasional use at home. I can use any cooking utensils and don't worry about damaging the surface. The only things that have damaged the surface have been cleaning with detergent, SWMBO has since been told, and getting burned on too hot a fire. Repeating the preparation process has repaired the damage.

Duncs
AnswerID: 421718

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:04

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:04
I have it in the oven. Luckily I can stay home and monitor it. Never had the oven this hot before.

The oil smell spreads a bit too. I used a virgin olive oil. Not a top notch one. One we cook with all the time.

We shall see.

Phil
AnswerID: 421724

Reply By: lja1st - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:19

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:19
I just wanted to reply to the cobb cooker forum but have had problems in accsessing the site so here goes , the site page is here http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/25324/Cobb_Cookers_Backup.aspx

I recently had a mishap with my cobb cooker where the base broke . I contacted cobb and sent them a photo of the cooker and they sent me a brand new pro base free of charge . I had had the cobb for 6 years . Now thats what I call good service . I cant understand why Waynepd (NSW) has had so much trouble .

AnswerID: 421726

Reply By: bgreeni - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 15:16
If it is a new camp oven it may have been treated with grease. You need to get rid of that before giving it the treatment mentioned above. The way I do it is put it in an oven up side down with plenty of newspaper underneath. Set the oven to low heat and leave it a few hours to melt all the grease out. Then prepare as above.
AnswerID: 421745

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 15:23

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 15:23
Sorry greenie Too late. Thanks anyway. Yes it is a new oven. Got all the wax off with a good soapy scrub and wash then a couple of clean rinses.

And now its almost done. Two runs in the oven and its looking good. I will let it cool a bit more so that I can make sure all surfaces are covered properly. If it isnt and I find a bit I am not happy about I gather I go back to scrubbing and start again. Hey thats okay. We have time. 4 weeks to lift off.

Phil
AnswerID: 421746

Follow Up By: Peter Horne [Krakka] - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 16:06

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 16:06
No mate, don,t go back to the scrubbing stage, just give another coat of oil and put back in the oven. It should start looking a shiny black sort of colour. Once treated you should never need to scrub the camp oven, just gently wash with a sponge/cloth and hot water.
Regards
Peter
FollowupID: 692150

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 16:07

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 16:07
I hear you
FollowupID: 692151

Sponsored Links