simpson desert crossing

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 18:37
ThreadID: 79549 Views:2693 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi has anybody done the Madigen Line on the Simpson Desert recently as I need some info, I have done the desert twice before firstly the french line then the waa line and rig road but I want a chalenge.
1/I need the projected fuel usage
2/what sort of conditions could be expected
3/ what permits are required
my e/m is
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Polaris - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:40

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:40
Just put "Madigan Line" in the search on this forum.

Plenty of previous threads on the subject.

AnswerID: 421780

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:50

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:50
1.Projected fuel usage will depend greatly on what vehicle you're driving & the exact route you choose including which direction. We used around 180L from Mt Dare to Jervois via the Hay River over 10 days in a 1HZ 100 series. Sand conditions were soft & we had a few short side trips. One petrol Prado in our group carried 500L.
2.From the Acacia reserve there is a section of Gibber stone, low dunes & minor station tracks to Camp 2. Permits are not available from 3 to 5 so a detour south around the Aboriginal lands to the Colson Track is very challenging. After 6 a visable track is forming in places with more use between the dunes but dissapears over the loose wind blown crests. The further East you go the more defined the track becomes but at no time will you get out of low range before the Hay. It's a very slow rough drive, almost an endurance test & absolutely nothing like the easy Simpson drives you've done already.
3.I'll leave permits to others who have crossed in more recent times.
Choose your group carefully as they will need to be self reliant & vehicles mechanically well prepared.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 421782

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 22:16

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 22:16
I'll second that and we used about 250Lts from Mt. Dare to Jervois 6wks ago.

It's not a track you want to tackle with little remote travelling experience or an unprepared vehicle.

A good GPS with good mapping helps a lot due to not being able to see the track in places.

You will need a desert parks pass for SA side and if you do the Hay River track you will need a permit for Bookies place available from Joel Flemming in Alice.
FollowupID: 692202

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 21:00

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 21:00
It all depends of what you thought of the normal Simpson Crossings, eg

1.Very easy with no problems at all

2. Sometimes a little tricky, with no major problems

3. A little hard, but was able to cope.

4. Hard, but was able to get through with some help.

Work on 300 litre of diesel to be on the safe side.

You will only need permits if you are entering from the SA National Parks side.

The Colson will have tracks to follow late in the season, so it should be no problems. If you want a challenge, then head for Geosurvey Hill and the Geographical Centre.

And by the way, if you did not answer No 1, then it will be hard for you.


Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421785

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)