Buying New Camper

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 21:10
ThreadID: 79551 Views:3719 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are looking at buying a new camper for us and our 2 kids and are looking at the Cape York, Kimberly, Aussie Off Road and Cub Space Van. Does anyone have any info/feedback on these Campers??
We went and looked at the Cape York not long ago and they seem to be a great off road camper, but we have little info on the others. Any advice you can provide would be great! Thanks heaps
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ballfyboy - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 22:48

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 22:48
We also have 2 kids and are heading up to the cape in 6 weeks. We will be picking up our Kimberley Platinum next week and can't wait (upgrading from our soft floor). We found the design & features to suit our needs the best. Love the Hot water and the fact that the flip out section roof bow overhangs the hard floor giving more usable space.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 421801

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:59

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:59
Hi Red Roo
We took delivery of our Cub Spacevan with the Drover pack, its probably Cub's top of the range model, we opted for the outdoor kitchen and single beds, with the extra height of the sides this allowas for beds to be made up on a permanant basis during the trip and still have room on top of beds. When opened out you've got roughly the same floor space as a 20ft van. The only fault I have had is with the quality of workmanship and finish, ours was built just prior to Xmas and finished in the new year which possibly explains it, welding on roof rack was VERY poor and all welds cracked, I had them redone at my own expense, and the tent on one corner is a poor fit with atendancy to allow rain to come in we are trying to get this rectified.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 421813

Reply By: escapesilv - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:04

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:04
Hi Red Roo

Have a look at the Tambo campers, Always have good comments about them from many, including myself..

Cheers
AnswerID: 421819

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 08:04

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 08:04
Red Roo,

I am torn by this question. I can't decide whether it is sensible to ask or if it will just lead to more confusion as you get everyone's opinion.

I have been a camper trailer user for 14 years and love what I have. But, what suits me may not suit you.

I chose mine for a collection of reasons. Quick set up, beds made all the time, heaps of space, the option of cooking inside or outside. It really does suit our needs well.

We are a family of five and as you can imagine in 14 years the needs of our family have changed considerably. Where once it was always the five of us now I mostly use it while travelling on business and I am on my own. (Yeah I know it's not a bad job I've got). We still do travel as a family even if it is less often. Probably, at least to some extent, because they have grown up with it my kids 22, 18 & 17 now, remain comfortable and happy to spend time in our home away from home.

What I have is not in your short list so I won't add to the confusion unless you ask, even though I still think it is amongst the best available. Just because I like it doesn't mean you will.

I suggest you take your time and have a really good look. Make sure that whatever you buy suits you and your family, not me or anyone else.

Mine has lasted 14 years and will last much longer build quality always suggested it would, so have a close look at that. Remember you only pay for it once but you will live with it for a long time, especially if you buy the right one.

Duncs
AnswerID: 421824

Follow Up By: Outa Bounds - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:37

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:37
Curiosity got the better of me at least but luckily it says' what you've got in your profile :D
FollowupID: 692294

Reply By: Red Roo Asko - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 08:51

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 08:51
Thanks everyone for your comments, feedback and advice!
AnswerID: 421827

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 16:04
Just to throw another camper in the mix, have you looked at the camprite. It is arguably the best family camper for a family of 4 on the market IMHO - not that I am biased or anything :) It gives you off the ground sleeping accomodation with ready made beds and is a true off-road camper. Anyway, definelty worth a look when you are in the market for a family camper.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 692244

Reply By: LeanneW - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 17:37

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 17:37
Also look at an Aussie Swag.... we decided that it was the one that best suited our needs with kids - one reason is that it has a rear kids room that can be added, plus it can remain attached while you fold the camper up. We have also found their after sales service to be excellent.
But as others have said, the campers you are looking at are good, and you just have to find the one that suits your needs the best.
Try hiring one before you buy if you can.
Cheers
Leanne
AnswerID: 422113

Sponsored Links