Charging Caravan Battery from Vehicle

I have a heavy duty wire running from my auxiliary battery to an Anderson plug at the rear of my vehicle. I used to use this arrangement to charge the battery in my previous caravan which came with an Anderson plug set up to suit this arrangement. My current caravan did not come with an Anderson plug and cable to charge the caravan.

My question is:
Can I run a cable to connect to the vehicle anderson plug with the other end directly connected to the battery terminals or does it need to have some other arrangement.

Cable thickness is well understood, as is the need to install a circuit breaker close to the caravan battery.

Thanks
wbs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 18:54
Hi wbs you should really run your power from your main battery to your van and let your auxillary handle accessaries on your car. I had the same with my first van as its power source cnnected through the seven pin plug so I removed it from there and connected an anderson plug which connected to the car kind regards Alan,

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 421868

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:11

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:11
You could do it that way or fit a DC to DC battery charger in the van which depending on the type of battery in the van may be the better solution.
There should be a circuit breaker at the main battery connection point in the vehicle as well as another at the van battery.
Does the van have solar panels or an existing battery charger fitted?
AnswerID: 421872

Follow Up By: WBS - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:53

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:53
I don't have solar panels but I do have a battery charger (smart charger) fitted for charging from 240 volts. I'm just wanting to top up the battery while I'm on the road as I may do the very occasional overnight camp away from power.

I have circuit breakers at both ends.
WBS
FollowupID: 692268

Reply By: Cheeky1 - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:49

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:49
Hi wbs,
You have asked a very simple question and unfortunately you are going to get bombarded with a heap of answers that will end up baffling you.
Don't get me wrong, they are all good answers but 12 volt systems can be such a personal need thing - and everyone has different needs. I don't profess to be a 12v expert at all, but I've done enough of it to know that the answer to your question is simply yes. It would be extremely wise however, to install an isolator in order to protect your main battery - if you don't already have one :-)
Cheers,
Cheeky1
AnswerID: 421895

Follow Up By: WBS - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:03

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:03
Thanks Cheeky1,
I do have a dual battery set up with a Redarc Isolator so my only real concern was connecting to the caravan battery and basically charging it from my alternator via the Anderson Plug setup. I've done it before on my previous caravan but that came all wired up to do this. My new van did not, so its the caravan end I was wondering about. I've run the cables , installed the circuit breakers near the caravan battery, fitted the Anderson plug ready to plug into the back of my vehicle but I haven't connected anything yet. I just had this niggling doubt but in thinking about it more its the same set up as my auxiliary battery really, just a tad further away.

thanks
WBS
FollowupID: 692271

Follow Up By: Cheeky1 - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:20
Go for it!
It should be ok as long as you have the positive and negative wired correctly.
You will know if you don't, as the in-line fuses will blow.
I usually check if I've got things right with a multi meter first.
Cheeky1
FollowupID: 692275

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 01:53

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 01:53
WBS,
A simple question deserves an equally simple answer :)

Your question is:
" Can I run a cable to connect to the vehicle Anderson plug with the other end directly connected to the battery terminals? "

Yes.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 421925

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 16:50

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 16:50
This thread may help

WBS - Check this thread out as well
AnswerID: 421989

Reply By: WBS - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 20:13

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 20:13
Thanks everyone.
I appreciate your input. I'll hook up the cable to Anderson plug as required.

WBS
AnswerID: 422012

Sponsored Links