Blackwolf 'Superfly' vs Oztent Deluxe Panels

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 18:48
ThreadID: 79581 Views:7801 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I'm the owner of both an Oztent and a Blackwolf Turbo 240 and I'm tossing up which one I want to add a 'living area' to so I have protection from wind/rain in front of the tent during inclement weather. I'm trying to get my head around the Balckwolf Superfly vs Oztent zip-on panels option.

Information on the Superfly seems pretty scare so if anyone has feedback after reading this I'd appreciate it. I've seen these Superflys range in price from $700.00 online to $1000.00 at Kangaroo Tent City!

The Oztent wins hands down when it comes to awning space and you can get Deluxe side panels (thus leaving only one side exposed) that zip onto the sides of the awning giving you protected living area. All-up these only take a few minutes to add onto the awning and cost about $290.00.

On the other hand, the Blackwolf Superfly (not to be confused with the previous Blackwolf Deluxe fly and panels which seemed to get bad reviews) adds a fly layer on top of your Blackwolf tent and an additional 2 metres living space out front BUT (correct me if I'm wrong here) without full side protection attached to the awning like you get with the side panels on the Oztent (effectively the Superfly is like a big combined fly/awning).

Does anyone have a Superfly? How long does it take to set-up and am I right when I say it has no sides that connect to the extension awning so the additional living area would still be very exposed?

The Oztent seems to have the edge when it comes to protected additional living space out front of the tent but they are much smaller inside the tents themselves and don't come with a fly like the Blackwolfs do.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:01
Can't help you with info on the BW Turbo or it's Superfly, but I looked at both the BW Turbo and the Oztent before deciding that the versatility of the Oztent, the speed and ease of putting it up, plus the size of the front awning made the choice easy for us.
As a bonus, when we bought the Oztent, a pair of peak side panels was "thrown in" free and I am very impressed with them whole setup. You can also add a further accessory of a front panel if you need an extra room.
We haven't found the need for a fly for the Oztent but there is one available if required.

We love the idea of having the rear of the vehicle as the "front wall" of the tent allowing an enclosed sleeping and living/cooking space in the middle.

Love our Oztent. Provides everything we required for a speedy setup in a tent as an option to our camper trailer.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421870

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:05

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:05
I use an oztent foxwing awning and just put the oztent just slightly under it . So fast and easy and lots of dry space when its raining .
AnswerID: 421871

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:02
"The Oztent wins hands down when it comes to awning space and you can get Deluxe side panels (thus leaving only one side exposed)"

You can also get an end panel which allows you to fully enclose the extra living area on the Oztent. I have one and find it very useful when the weather is windy/rainy/dusty.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421879

Reply By: chisel - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:06
This pic shows at least one side and mentions that you can fully enclose the awning
http://www.blackwolf.com.au/turbo/super-fly-240/
AnswerID: 421904

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 20:33

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 20:33
Hi gh

we have the BW 240 turbo and got the superfly as a 'show special'.
To be honest, I'm not sure we would have bothered at the upper end of the prices you've been quoted. Its great, but perhaps not that great.

Adding the superfly the set-up time (and pack-up) is considerably longer than the basic tent, but it still only took about 15 mins in the dark the first time.

The protection is great from the sides - full panels - but you are not able to enclose from the from the front.
(its actually the end of the superfly that goes over the tent that has no side panels... a trap for a first time set up, when we had it the wrong way around!)
But if you are planning to use your vehicle or that purpose, then you will be right.
And the area under the superfly is not huge anyway.

And with the superfly the original tent fly becomes redundant - you can't attach both, nor would you need to.

We have found to make it functional as living / storage space, we needed to sort out some matting for under the superfly.

Otherwise we have been pretty happy with it. Everything is like the tent in terms of quality, construction, zip away guy ropes, etc..

I hope this helps some.

cheers,

Geoff.

AnswerID: 422016

Sponsored Links