dome or tourer tent

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:44
ThreadID: 79586 Views:5894 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
g'day all,
we look like selling our old jayco camper van shortly,so until we find the right replacement,our next few trips could be back to the good old tent's.We had an old dome tent that served the purpose until the kids came along,then we went to a large canvas cabin type tent that we sold and went to the old jaydove.So I'm looking at getting another tent , i have looked at the oztrail 9 plus ,i just wondered is there plenty of room for two adults and two kids in the tourers compared to the domes, i don't want to spend a fortune because when another van comes along, the tent will only get used occasionally again.I like the idea of a quick set up of the tourer.any opinions will be much appreciated.
Cheers John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garbage - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:09

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:09
I camp regularly with a 3m x 3m canvas tourer (COI Leisure) and we fit 2 adults and 2 kids (4 and 1) comfortably. A tourer of this size can fit 4 single self inflating mattresses side by side with space to store luggage near the door. The Oztrail 9 would be of a similar size.Check out the thickness of the floors of the tent as the cheaper ones tend to be a thin plastic and this is the most prone section for tears and leaks.
AnswerID: 421915

Follow Up By: john&thejayco - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 07:15

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 07:15
g'day garbage,
thanks for the heads up, on the floor thickness.I knew the canvas would be a bit lighter in the cheaper brands but i didn't give the floor much thought .
Cheers.
FollowupID: 692306

Follow Up By: garbage - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:15

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:15
I couldn't think of the terminology for it at the time, but one of the replies to your thread have mentioned the heavy duty PVC floors. When I was looking a few years ago, the Oztrails had a PVC floor version and another version with a cheap tarp like material.
FollowupID: 692336

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:32
Also consider weather the size / weight of the packed tent will be an issue. The one thing that really turned me off the touring type tents when we were looking around was how bulky and heavy they all were.

In the end we went to two 3 man hiking type tents (one for us and one for the kids who are 5 & 7). They are reasonably quick to set up (two poles each and a bunch of pegs) and pack up to a sleeping bag size. The only downside is you can't stand up in them and of course there is no awning / shelter to sit under and cook unless you set up something separate or a tarp between them.

But you know the small dome type tents can be had relatively cheap, ideally I'd love to get a touring tent to fit us all as well, for that quick set up when all you want to do is put the tent up and sleep for the night before moving on again.
AnswerID: 421920

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 07:41

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 07:41
Hi
We just bought a new tent, i think it is a Primus Sundowner, 4m x 4m.
Is all mesh with with a fly over the top, this way if the weather is hot you don't need to put the fly on and will get great air flow. Cost, $200 for tent $100 for the fly. The zips look pretty cheap but if you take a little care and don't expect it to last forever it will do fine.
This tent stood up to a thrashing by cyclone Paul at Roper Bar this year and despite the high winds and VERY high rainfall didn't leak a drop!
If you think this is the way you wish to go, let me know and I will double check the brand/name.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421935

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:20

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:20
Hello John,

My wife and I have had a few canvas type tents of various sizes - one a monster - and a 3m X3m dome tent as well.

We currently have a 3m X 3m COI Tourer Tent - made in NZ - with the optional side pole kit. While it is supposed to accommodate 4 beds, we find it has enough space for two, the stowage of our clothing bags and sufficient space to move around in as we dress. In the event the weather is inclement, we stack the bedding up and pile our bags on top to make room for a table and two chairs. It is easily accommodated in or on top of the 4WD; it usually travels on the roof rack and comes into use when our camper trailer can't be taken into a remote location.

We opted for the COI product because of
a) its robustness: strong middleweight cotton canvas roof and walls, strong flyscreens, heavyweight zippers and solid PVC floor.
b) its weight: around 18kg with the side pole kit.
c) its compactness: approx. 600mm square and 100mm thick in its travel bag. d) its price: cost approx. $400 with the side poles and an awning.
e) its ease of use. It's up and down in next to no time !

Would we buy the tourer tent for a family of 4 people ? That would depend on the age and mindset of our children. If they were of an age where each could confidently manage sleeping in his/her own tent, then we would buy the 3m X 3m tourer tent and a couple of small dome tents as well.

The 3m X 3m dome tent we had a decade ago was fine for us - it slept 3 in comfort. Our boys slept out in their pup tents from 9 years of age. A couple of things we didn't like with the dome tent were
a) its tendency to be blown flat in a strong wind - however, this happened infrequently - and,
b) the need to work harder to protect it from damage.

From our extensive camping experience, a canvas tent is more robust than most dome tents. That's why we see many more of them on our outback travels !

Given that you plan to buy another camper trailer, I suggest you think seriously about buying a good quality compact canvas tent and complement it with a couple of cheaper dome tents. Maybe you can find secondhand tents in good condition !

Cheers,
Netnut

AnswerID: 421945

Follow Up By: garbage - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:16

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:16
Well said! We must be the only people with COI Leisure tents! Never seen another one in all my travels!
FollowupID: 692337

Reply By: Curlynan - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 14:09

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 14:09
We have a Coleman Dome (6 person) tent, it was purchased in Feb 2004. Now it has only ever been used by the two of us (No Children).
We have experienced very very hot, very very cold -2', high winds and very heavy rain, and I can tell you it has stood up to it all.
These trips have not been for just the odd long weekend.
In 2004 it was used for 5 nights on Fraser Island (rained every night). We also went on a 13 week trip from Melb - Oodnadatta track, Uluru/Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, Tanamia Trk. Bungles, Gibb River Rd and up to Mitchell Falls, Broome, Cape Leveque, Back to Darwin then up to Cobourg Pen for 1 week, back to Darwin, Lawn Hill NP, Mt Isa, Birdsville Trk then back to Melbourne. That took 13 weeks and I can tell you that tent was put up an down in excess of 30 times. It had all the elements you could throw at it.
In 2006 another trip this time only 9 weeks. Melbourne - Flinders Ranges, Tibooburra, Oodnadatta Trk, Alice, Buchanan H'Way, Kununurra, Broome, 80 mile beach, Marble bar, Tom Price, Karajini NP, Kalbarri, down to Perth, accross the Nullabor and back to Melbourne. The tent was up and down again many times.
In 2007, 7weeks away, Melbourne - Lightning Ridge, Carnarvon NP, Cairns, Cooktown, Lakefield NP, Weipa, Cape York Pen, To the TIP, back to Cairns, Atherton, Croydon, Normanton, Burketown, Longreach, Bourke, back to Melbourne. The tent was up & down heaps of times again.
In 2008 we spent five weeks touring around Tassie in the same tent.
On top of those trips there have also been a few long weekends away as well in it. They are light, easy to put up or take down, Weather proof under a 5 year warranty and I highly recommend the dome tents, If they get wet it doesn't take much to dry them out.
Now in saying that we has in the past 12 months purchased a 25' caravan with the intention of hitting the road for a few years, however the tent will be with us, cos to get to the off road places we need our old trustworthy tent.
This may sound a bit pro Coleman tent but for us the proof is it has done the job and we just can't fault it.
Good luck with your decision making and one last word, whatever you decide, have great trips away and enjoy...
AnswerID: 421971

Reply By: Plugga- Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 18:07

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 18:07
We have a Oz Trail tourer 10 plus tent. Very quick to put up and when packed up it goes up onto the roof rack. Has heaps of room for 2 adults and 2 kids,also can stand up in the front of tent.

Cheers Rob

AnswerID: 421995

Sponsored Links