The Cooper Creek a great Place to take the Kids for the School Holidays

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:00
ThreadID: 79587 Views:4023 Replies:5 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
It is that time of the year again when the kids are looking for somewhere to go camping and having fun. For those such families that have not made up there minds on where to go, well then the banks of the Cooper Creek along the Birdsville Track will make the perfect destination. Mum and Dad can just relax while the kids can ride, run and go exploring.

If you have not made up your minds and are looking for a great place to camp and see the country that only gets this way about every 20 years, then this will be a top spot to go and just veg out. You also have the bonus of taking a ferry ride on one of Australia's classic old ferries.

If you want to see more details, I have just put my blog on our recent weekend trip up there.

You will not regret the drive.

Cheers to All

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:18
and don't forget the Lake Eyre Yacht Clubs Sailing Regatta being held there in 2 weeks :)
AnswerID: 421890

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:22
Hi extfilm
Yes Jason has been busy grading a track to Lake Kopperamanna where it will be held, and it will be a great sight to see all those sailing vessel under full sail, in an Australian iconic location.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692269

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:05
Couldn't agree more, but don't forget to have a cooper's on the occper.
AnswerID: 421903

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:06
oops I mean Cooper
FollowupID: 692272

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:08

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:08
Hi Michael and Chris
Exactly and you do not have to go to Innamincka to do it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692273

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:22

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:22
True and while I got you have you seen any other rivers or creeks in your travels by the name of Lachlan or Cooper, we already have photos of coop at Cooper creek up on Cape Tribulation & Lachlan in NSW.Any excuse to do a trip. Lucky I didn't name my kids Murray or Darling.Cheers
FollowupID: 692276

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:49
Hi Michael and Chris,
Yes and any river away from the big crowds is great. As for the Murray, we have many favourite sport though the area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692280

Follow Up By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 00:27

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 00:27
Hi Stephen, that sounds to me like somewhere that I wouldn't mind having a look at, possibly late August. Travelling from Victoria what route would you suggest? I have not travelled into that area before so I look forward to the experience.

Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 692297

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 08:13

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 08:13
Hi David
If you have not been into that area before, there are many great places that will open your eyes.

Head up via Broken Hill, up to the Corner Country, another must visit is Innamincka and then a stay at the Cooper on the Birdsville Track. There is so much to see in that area and if you like that type of country out there, I can guarantee that it will not be your first and last visit to the area.

Have a fantastic trip to where ever you venture.

Safe Travels..

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692312

Follow Up By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:49

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:49
Thanks Stephen, I have not ventured past Silverton in that area so I am looking forward to it. I will start making my plans now for mid August. May see you out there!

Happy Travels Dave
FollowupID: 692342

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:44

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:44
Gday Michael
Now i must ask what is wrong with calling your little ones Murray?

Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 692347

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:46

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:46
Hi Dave
It is well worth the drive further north. We will be somewhere in the area during most of August. Look out for my Black Prado with Yellow Kayak on the roof. While at the Cooper we will be doing some interesting track not on your usual itinerary, so you are welcome to come along if there as well.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692354

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 04:40

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 04:40
Hi Stephen,

We (Mum, Nick, aged and Anna aged 6) are heading off Friday week, via Innamincka, down the Strez track then up to the ferry to camp by the Cooper. looking forward to it and reading your blog. Can't wait

cheers,

Geoff.
AnswerID: 421930

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 08:08

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 08:08
Hi Geoff
You and your family are in for a real treat and you will not believe your eyes. As you will have read, we were so impressed, we are going back again in August for another week up there and taking some more out of the way station tracks for good measure as well.

Have a fantastic time, as I know you will.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692310

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:10

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:10
Thanks Stephen,

It will be the first desert experience the kids will remember (they did an earlier trip when they were little), and I was lucky enough to drive across the Simpson after rains 18 years ago (5 weeks before I got married!). On that trip we tried to make it from Birdsville to Innamincka via Walkers Crossing, but more rain coming up from South Australia was turning everything to mud, and local advice was to high tail it to the black top back via Birdsville. We just made it out... a couple of hours delay would have seen us there for a week or more, which might have made things a little tense back in wedding-preparation land!!!
So although Jackie has done plenty of 4WDing in the 18 years since, it will be her first trip in this area.
So it will be memorable all around.

I notice the sea-kayak on your roof (and some of the pics!) I am a fellow sea-kayaker and try and get out onto Sydney harbour most weekends. I have a fibreglass / composite boat, so I am swapping with a friend for a wider, plastic kayak for the trip, because of the (anticipated) corrugations and the stress on my boat. How did your boat hold up?

Thanks again for your enthusiasm... it is contagious!

cheers,

Geoff.
FollowupID: 692344

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:59

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:59
Hi Geoff
No problem with the kayak, the only problem was not spending enough time in it on the water, that is why I will be taking it back again in August. We are making a very big loop, through the corner country, the Strez, Oodnadatta Track, across the Simpson, Innamincka and down to the ferry site again. We have 3 1/2 weeks away for this trip and I now into countdown.

You will have a ball on the Cooper and I am looking forward to see if the flow has settled a little, as when we were there, the water was flowing quite past, but was still great fun.

Your children and Jackie are in for a real treat and if they love a camp fire, it adds to the experience.

Have a great and safe trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692355

Follow Up By: Member - GREENDOG - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 21:02

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 21:02
Gday Geoff Mate you will have a ball by the Coopers,we where there with Stephen and Fiona on the friday night on the june long weekend and had a great time,as Stephen said you will not believe your eyes,at the amount of water there,have fun.cheers GREENDOG
FollowupID: 692387

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:10

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:10
Hi Geoff,
We are heading off the same day for the same trip so we will keep an eye out for you. 100 series ladcruiser and Tvan with an exploroz wheel cover.
Have a great time
barb
FollowupID: 692398

Follow Up By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 23:47

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 23:47
Thanks again Stephen, I will keep an eye out for you. I will have leave room on the roof rack for my Hobie Outback Kayak and put in for an extra week off work! I will also have to study some old trek notes and blogs for track information and fuel availability in the area. Looking forward to it.
Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 692408

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 06:47

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 06:47
Hi Barb,
We sure will look out for you... Blue NM Pajero towing a Kimberly Kamper... plus an orange kayak (on top of one or the other).
See you on the track and you enjoy yourselves as well.

Hi GREENDOG,
Thanks - yeah... its been ages since I've been out that way and couldn't miss this opportunity. A mate who I usually go on trips with went to Lake Eyre in 2000 and didn't invite me because I had just bought an old series IIA landy to restore, and he thought he'd spend half the trip on the side of the road waiting for me to repair it... He didn't tell me he was going until he got back!!
Anyway, I had lunch with him yesterday and showed him the trip plans... I think we are even now!

And Dave
I'll keep an eye out for the Hobie Kayak... I don't think there will be too many of them out and about on the Cooper ;)

cheers,

Geoff
FollowupID: 692417

Reply By: Fab72 - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:51

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:51
Stephen, do you know what the fishing is like up there? Are there any?

Boy 14 likes fishing, daughter 12 likes outback travel. I'm thinking about being able to kill two birds with one stone.
AnswerID: 421964

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 14:03

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 14:03
Hi Fab 72
The station girls were saying that there are lots of fish, but they are all small. Big one will follow. Your family will have a ball up there, and you will be able to sit back by the camp fire and unwind from our fast pace of life.

Have a great time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692356

Reply By: Member - Cantiva Clay (NSW) - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 16:02

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 16:02
coupla hairy smella looking fellas seemed to enjoy camping there - spose they had no choice the camel ran off and horse was lasts nights dinner
AnswerID: 422104

Sponsored Links