Interior light bulb replacement on 2002 Prado

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:26
ThreadID: 79598 Views:4861 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My son recently bought himself a 2002 petrol.
The only issue he's found so far (apart from a rattle of two) is that one of the lights in that double panel above the rear view mirror doesn't work. The manual he's bought doesn't show how to get at the bulbs. Either the plastic centre bit that the light shines through is supposed to pop out or the whole grey cover (with that centre bit intact) must pop off. But which and how does one do it? There's always a correct and wrong way to remove parts and we'd prefer to do it the correct way so as not to break anything.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rainman WA - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:34

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:34
The whole surround comes out. From memory you start at the top and have to pry it out with your finger tips. Its a bit tough to start as difficult to get a grip of. I had difficulty finding the right size globes as well and ended up with something not quite as bright.
AnswerID: 421950

Follow Up By: Moose - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:12

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:12
Thanks - we'll try (very carefully) from the top. The shape certainly doesn't make it easy to tug on.
FollowupID: 692334

Follow Up By: Rainman WA - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 21:42

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 21:42
Sorry Moose, I may have given you a bum steer, it looks like you pull from the front (closest to windscree). I found these instructions on another forum

I have not long ago done this and found that brute force was the only
way to go. It is really sticky. I pulled the grey surround from the back
as your looking at it, i.e. closes to the window. Then it is just a
matter of replacing the faulty bulb I went to Autopro only to find out
that you can only buy them in packs of 2 I think they were under 5
bucks. I replaced both at the same time even though the other wasn't
blown so that I didn't have to go through taking the cover off so often.
FollowupID: 692391

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:07

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:07
Hi there. If it is the same as mine, there are two separate lights (all in the one casing, of course), with separate switches, so there's no reason to assume it has to be a blown globe: it could be just a broken connection, or a faulty switch.
AnswerID: 421952

Follow Up By: Moose - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:10

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:10
True Chris - but unless we can get in there we will not know which it is. So the first step was to find out how to get inside without breaking anything!
FollowupID: 692333

Sponsored Links