Fraser Island Trip - Late November.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:01
ThreadID: 7960 Views:2033 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Hope this aint a time waster, but I'm a regular 4wd'er/Camper and my better half has got us embarked on a trip to Fraser Island in late November, as usual I figured to myself as this being a "no-problemo." After doing a bit of poking about and quizzing some people I know that have went, I have come to the conclusion its looks abit hectic. Im from Sydney, so the plan is as follows 2 days to get there, a week camping and 2 days to get back. I have myself, my Mrs and a solid best mate. Im looking to do mostly camping/relaxing, 4wd and fishing. Aside from the usual camping gear and so forth, I was wondering if there was anything else I should know/tips and if spending a solid week there is to long? Any information would greatly appreciated. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Prado Boy - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:12

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:12
Jay,
Fraser is one of my favourite spots - I could spend a month there and not run out of things to do or get bored. I suppose that depends on the type of person your are, how much you can appreciate the little things etc. Most people spending a week on Fraser are left with a list of things to see and do though.
2 Days to get there is doing it pretty cruisy too - though you need to allow about 2 hours to get to some of the camping spots on the island once on it (if you want to camp say at Central Station). Again - this depends on how you guys travel. Fraser is 4 hours north of my place - but I consider it just a hop-skip-and-a-jump.
Sounds like a great trip. Just be careful with bag limits and sizes with your fishing - I've heard that they are cracking down on that stuff. Throw the little ones back to fight another day, take only what you need for a feed and you wont have problems though.
It's a great spot - look after it and enjoy it and we'll be able to come back year after year. Hope you have a great trip. Cheers,
Prado Boy
AnswerID: 34513

Reply By: SupaMav - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:16

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:16
If you haven't already had a look, check out the Parks and Wildlife website for Fraser here.
AnswerID: 34517

Reply By: SteveA - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:57

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:57
Jay I've spent the last 4 Christmas's up there and a few things have changed in the way you do your relaxing up there. Just a couple of points to be wary of:

Don't feed the dingos (stay away from them)
Your camp site MUST be kept clean, rubbish not to be left laying around (putting into a plastic bag and disposing of every time you leave the camp site)
If you have a BBQ you must clean the surface and dispose of the fat tin.
It all sound a little to hard but once you get used to doing the right thing its comes easy.
Oh yes I forgot to put in that the rangers could fine you up to $2500 if you dont play the cleanliness game.

Apart from that you will enjoy it up there

Steve
AnswerID: 34526

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:17

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:17
Jay,

Everything Steve says is correct. For everyone's safety you must not do anything to encourage dingoes. They must not have any access to food to the point that you cannot leave the fish you have caught in a bucket on the beach while you are fishing.

The rangers may come across as a**holes but they are only doing an ever increasingly difficult job.

Remember also that there is a constant police presence on Fraser with radar and breathalyser. They also back up the rangers if required.

When you book you will be given an information kit. Those who heed the info always have a great time as I am sure you will.

Mal T.
FollowupID: 24928

Reply By: kezza - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:59

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:59
A week can be too short - you just got to let the island work its magic on you.
kes
AnswerID: 34527

Reply By: mudgutz - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:56

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:56
five days on fraser...not long enough.......two days to get there......presuming one day sydney to brissy and the other brissy to fraser..yeah...but it will take the full day
brissy to on fraser and set up camp.....remember the tickets for barge...time ....permits...time wait fir barge.....time .....trip across..time......and trip to were your gonna camp.......i dont suggest the camp grounds middle of the island as suggested by someone else.....too many bl***y backpackers.....just beach camp you will find more solitude that way......dont know about police
always being there...been there many many times only saw 1 pc plod the whole time but watch the rangers they are savage.......as suggested be clean....fraser has a major problem with rubbish etc etc......due to the large amounts of tourists
beware of the backpackers in hired 4wds and the goose who drives the garbage truck on the inland roads....most of these roads are fairly narrow one vehicle width.....and they have little or no idea of etiquette ......and take everything you want/need including water and gas.no open fires last time i went.....there are two places to get supplies but you need to be a packer or a murdoch to afford them
eg milk.....5 bucks a carton...beer.....you dont want to ask.....fuel....over 120 a litre

places not to miss......the three lakes....wabbi, birreben and mc kenzie .......the great sandy cape...coloured sands.....indian head......chapange pools
good camping at waddy point.... grassy and flat......i could gabble all day about fraser......enjoy it mate
AnswerID: 34589

Sponsored Links