Simpson Desert

All packed ready to go.
Our first big trip and into the desert
Going in convoy of 6 cars, 12 adults & 6 kids
3 weeks exploring the interior, have not been past Nyngan before and never more than 3 days camping.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:57

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:57
Have a great time and enjoy the experience. Look forward to reading your posts/blog when you return.

Happy Travels Dave
AnswerID: 422035

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:07

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:07
It might be a bit late, but if you get a chance, pick up a copy of The Australian from last weekend and have a read of the article in the Magazine section on Leichardt, Dick Kimber and the Simpson desert. You will be seeing some of the places mentioned here on the trip.
AnswerID: 422072

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:46

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:46
Dick Kimber is a living legend.

We spent 2 weeks away with him and his wife 6wks ago and found them both interesting people.

We had Dick explain his version of Leichardt around the camp fire on morning for about a hour.

Their is not much Dick doesn't know when it comes to explorers, the Aboriginals and the deserts.

We hope to do a few more trips with them in the near future.
FollowupID: 692430

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:28

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:28
Olcoolone. He sure is. We got to know him and Marg over a number of years while we lived in Alice. We talked about all sorts of things over the years, but I never knew of his work on Leichardt. I envy you that discussion. The local indigenous communities regard him as a lawman for the depth of his knowledge on their culture as well.
By the way, look at the shot of him in the desert in the Australian. I reckon it is faked. I'll be seeing him in September(if he's in town) and will check that out.
FollowupID: 692436

Sponsored Links