Western Deserts Recommended UHF Channel

Well, it is now 6 days and 17 hours before we head off on our trip that's been in the planning for 18 months. Miss Turtle is ready as are we but i have 1 final question.

I gather from Internet searching that UHF channels 10 and 12 are what i should be monitoring whilst on Kidson Track/GJR/SBJ but which channel should i broadcast on if needs be?

Cheers in advance,
Tony.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:49

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:49
Hi Tony,

Haven't been on those tracks so don't know which are the appropriate channels to use. Note that although there may be an "agreed" channel for particular tracks, in our experience very few users conform with it. It's not mandatory, just good practice to conform.

But looking at your question from a more general point of view - if you are listening for transmissions on any given channel, then that is the channel on which you should transmit to reach other users on that channel. If you want others to hear you and they are using the recommended channels, then you need to transmit on those same channels.

In practice, we've found few people conform to the local "standard". Sometimes, especially in sand dune country, it's desirable to routinely transmit periodically to alert others to your presence. Some don't bother to reply, so you don't know that they are there - but at least they know you are which may help avoid a headon on top of a dune.

So I would be adopting the "standard" for the track you're on, whatever it is. It won't guarantee communication, but it does improve your chances. Good idea to run the radio on scan to have a better chance of hearing others, but for general use, the standard channel is recommended.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422177

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:02

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:02
John and Val, once again thanks very much for the input, looking at it logically, you are quite right. I hadn't even thought of setting scan to be honest (i blame everything else i am trying to think of at the last minute lol) It makes perfect sense.

Thankyou,

Tony.
FollowupID: 692559

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:52

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:52
It's generally 10, but you just can't rely on that for all the reasons John and Val give.
AnswerID: 422188

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:03

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:03
Cheers mate, i was thinking 10 but wanted confirmation but J and V's response makes perfect sense.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 692560

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:26

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:26
We also scan all channels while out there. The Simpson recommend 10 and also at Chamber Piller. The Canning is 40. If you are with another vehicle we used hand helds to communicate to them while scanning for others.

The best thing though is a great big sand flag
AnswerID: 422210

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:22

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:22
Cheers S & V, didn't realise the CSR would be channel 40 truck/call channel. Makes sense actually being a common call channel. Absolutely right about the Sand Flag, got it covered ;-)

Tony
FollowupID: 692614

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 08:14

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 08:14
Tony

When we did the CSR and Kimberley, last year we just used 40, but there were 3 vehicles, and we just "yakked" our way, everywhere. One thing is for sure, every one heard us, but isn't that what safety in dune country is about, !

Apparently we stepped on a few toes, as apparently UHF 40 is " SACRED"..
Bugger that ! safety first, and making other travellers aware that there are vehicle(s) in the area, is good, not drivinig around too scared to use UHF 40 is a load of "carp"
For what it's worth.
SAFETY FIRST
Being heard is safe, in sand dune country, and in the outback.
We call forward on UHF 40, as it is the recognised "call up channel" Australia wide.

We, or someone in our group, will also run in scan mode.

Cheers and safe driving
Bucky... and my grammer is being corrected by my "big sister" Viv

AnswerID: 422238

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:31

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:31
Couldnt agree more about safety. 40 sacred?? I personally know a few truck drivers that would disagree with that.

I am carrying to hand helds as well so the plan is to have the dash unit scanning and use the handheld to monitor specific channels (40, 10).

Thanks bucky. Thanks big sis for the assistance lol.
FollowupID: 692615

Sponsored Links