New Hilux SR5 HArd Ute lid and Fridge Space

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:43
ThreadID: 79655 Views:14816 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi There,

I am looking for advice on 2 things.

Firstly I am trying t choose between an ARB sports lid and the genuine Toyota hard Tonneau cover for a dual cab.

I have hear that the new toyota ones are made by EGR and now have 1 central lock as opposed to 2 locks in the past? The ARB is supposed to open higher for better access but I have been unable to see both lids to compare.

Secondly I am not sure which fridges will fit under the lids?

Does anyone have a similar set up and can you offer the height measurements available in the ute with the lid closed??

Cheers

Dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 18:42

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 18:42
Not a very good idea expecting a fridge to operate in an enclosed space as there would be insufficient airflow and the fridge would cook especially in hot weather.
We found that even in an enclosed canopy without ventilation the fridge struggled.
At least with a conpy you can leave windows open and install vents.
AnswerID: 422216

Follow Up By: aeiou - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 18:52

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 18:52
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback.

I should have mentioned I am looking at a powered fan ventilation option, but the biggest issue first is the vertical size below the lid.

Cheers

Dave
FollowupID: 692575

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:10

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:10
Hi Dave, just want to add a word of warning, make sure you have fully thought about what you are going to use your ute for, not only now but in the future.
With a hard lid you will find you will be seriously limited in what you can carry in the tub, even a soft tonneau cover will allow more under cover than the hard lid.

The reason I am advising you is, I had a hard lid fitted to my Rodeo when I first bought it, when I did my 1st trip to the Kimberley in 2007 I was really restricted in what I could take and where I could pack it.

Image Could Not Be Found

12 mths ago I had an ARB canopy fitted ready for the trip which begins 9th July 2010, I am more than happy with the extra room now available for trips etc.

Image Could Not Be Found

Whichever way you go, good luck and enjoy your ute!

Regards, John
AnswerID: 422218

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 21:31

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 21:31
I hear you brother lol. I did the same , started with a hard top and soon realised there was not enough room. I went the whole hog though and fitted a tray back with aluminium gull wing canopy. Lots more room. Heading to the Simpson on monday.

I had the hilux with hard cover and a Waeco 40 was the biggest fridge I found to fit under it.
FollowupID: 692594

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:22

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:22
we have a genuine Toyota hard cover fitted Feb this year on the current model SR5

It has two locks (one each side)
The 29L Engel of ours has a transit base on it and the bag....It does not fit under the hard cover........if you realy need to know any further I can go and measure the height of the transit base for you and see if it may fit minus that

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422219

Reply By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:34

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:34
Mate you will have a problem fitting any fridge under a hard cover, I have a SR 06 and have had to cut the frame on my Genny down to fit. From my investigation there is not a fridge that will fit under the cover. Barnray
AnswerID: 422221

Sponsored Links