camp sites and novice 4x4 tracks in the flinders rangers

hi, we are heading to the Flinders rangers for 2-3 weeks and am after any informations on nice camping spots, either caravan parks or bush type settings, and novice 4x4 driving tracks.
firstly is there any recommendation of nice spots to camp, we have a poptop van in tow, and are thinking of leaving the shower and it's tent at home this time to keep some weight down, but we can alway wash without the shower. and as we are not experienced in 4x4ing is there tracks that are suitable for us novices, we have a gq patrol, i would rather ask than think oh that track should be alright and findout we are not experienced enough.
thanks from chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:15

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:15
There is lots of choice Chris.
Good commercial camping areas which have tracks to explore include Willow Springs, the Argadells north of Quorn and Rawnsley Park. None of the tracks will be too tough.
Brachina Gorge (NP) is a great area too for camping without facilities.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 422357

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:08

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:08
Chris
The Flinders Ranges - an Adventurer's Guide by Ron and Viv Moon is, IMHO, very good value. Tracks to explore, PARs, background info including history, places to stay including bush camping, station stays, caravan parks, etc. Plenty of maps and track notes - it's got it all. We have been going to the Flinders for 50+ years and find it useful as a reference and to keep up to date.
Regards
Andrew
AnswerID: 422359

Reply By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:08

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:08
Gday gonebush

Just spent a couple of days at Arkaroola, very good with a couple of nice drives around the place.

Cheers
AnswerID: 422360

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:57

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:57
Hi Chris
If this is your first visit, then you are in for a real surprise-they are just unreal.
To where you stay will be a matter of choice, but we usually stay in Wilpena, with all the benefits of bush camping and hot showers and toilets as a bonus. If you want to bush camp, there are many great locations to choose from, including Brachina Gorge, Aroona Valley no name just two. If you want a good and easy drive, Skytrek is great and will get you into the swing of low range driving, just take your time and you will have no problems. The Glasses Gorge road is great and then head out to Nuccaleena Mine site, easy but well worth it(I have a number of Trek notes here on EO, check them out)

Below are a few pictures of what you are in for.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422415

Reply By: Member - Allen T (NSW) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 21:56

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 21:56
Gidday Chris, One of my favourite places to visit. I also camp in Aroona Valley, just north of Wilpena. I prefer the isolation that caravan parks don't offer. You will find that as you do the many day trips you will see yourself passing Wilpena about every second day. What we did was on those days, called into the caravan park and grabbed a shower. It is a National Park run van park, so as long as you have paid your fees to be in the Flinders you can also use the van park ammenities. All the roads and tracks and very accessible, ideal for the first time four wheeler, obviously take care but you should be fine. Having a few weeks will be great, you can venture into the northern Flinders around Arkaroola, Gammon Ranges another grreat spot and a vast contrast in country compared to the area around Wilpena.

Enjoy.

Cheer Al
AnswerID: 422420

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:51

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:51
Parachlina Gorge is another nice spot to camp,it's a little further up than being at the Pound,thats were we normaly camp we get sleepers from just out side Parachlina for our fire wood and if the ladies want a shower they can go into Parachlina and have one at the OverFlow Accomadation for a small charge.enjoy the Flinder it'd beutiful were ever you decide to camp.cheers GREENDOG
AnswerID: 422424

Sponsored Links