Road to Innamincka ?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 13:24
ThreadID: 79702 Views:4319 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Heading back up there in 2 weeks time

I know the floods are on the retreat, but can I get in back along Cameron Corner and on the Old Strezlecki Track, or am I better off going up thru Warri Gate, and cutting back from Nappa Marrie ?

Cheers
Bucky

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 14:09

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 14:09
Hi Bucky
The road to Cameron Corner is reported as being just graded and in first class condition. As for the Old Strezelecki Track, I was told it is still out and will be so for some time. We are also up that same area, but not for another 4 weeks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422371

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 14:51

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 14:51
We are heading up that way this weekend, from NSW. I will try and post an update after we have been through. I was hoping to travel the Bore Track but it is still closed and I suspect will be until after we are through.
FollowupID: 692734

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:30

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:30
Hi Geoff,
We leave on Friday too we will have to keep an eye out for each other. We are going to come into Inamincka from Thargomindah and then the Strezlecki to Cameron' orner that is the plan at this stage
barb
FollowupID: 692787

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:30
Hi Barb,

Okay - we'll do. We are in a blue Pajero towing a Kimberly Kamper.
Our route will takes us via relatives in Wellington and then Zoo at Dubbo, so we don't expect to be in Innamincka until early next week.

cheers, Geoff.
FollowupID: 692818

Reply By: Paul G K (vic) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 15:57

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 15:57
Hi Bucky
Just got back from Innamincka was there on the 18th June. Came in from Thargomindah on the Adventure Way about 370kms all good bituman except for about 100kms of good gravel road. We then went to Tibooburra about 375km on the Strezlecki Track past Moomba to Cameron Corner via Merty Merty (turn left just past Moomba) all on good dirt and gravel roads very undulating road almost like a big dipper ride in places.Look out for the odd sand drift. We travelled at about 80 to 90 km/h. Very pleasant trip lovely green growth and lots of water in water holes and creeks. Crossing the Cooper Creek flood plain was amazing 15km of lush green growth

The Old Strezlecki was closed and I think the road through Warri Gate is all so closed

Regards Paul
AnswerID: 422382

Reply By: Farquo - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 19:38

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 19:38
Hi Bucky,
Got back yesterday. Great trip.
We wanted to go from Merty Merty north up the Old Strzelecki Track but there was a sign at Merty Merty indicating that it was impassable at the Strzelecki Creek crossing. We returned to the main track and by the look of what we saw, I think that the sign was accurate. Cameron Corner to Merty Merty open. Road open out through Nappa Merrie.
We went Innamincka, Della, Epsilon, Omicron, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra. Conditions good. Lots of road works. Authorities doing a great job.
Only closed roads were Old Strzelecki Track, Walkers Crossing and access to Gidgealpa. A few local tracks closed too.
Keep an eye on the SA roads report.
Take care and drive to the conditions. Enjoy
AnswerID: 422401

Reply By: murrayman - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:12

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:12
hi, I came through there last Thursday. Left Innamincka after 4 days fishing and travelled back down the strz to merty merty and then on to Cameron's corner. talked to a road train driver at the old strez junction and he said it was impassable at the top end and merty people were to busy to keep pulling stranded tourists out.the road to Cameron's is quite passable but not a graded highway. I have a l/c td 100series and we averaged about 70kph. Also notices in c/c store advising people not to travell old strez. From c/c to tibbooburra was also ok but lots of road works happening. Lots of sandy stretches and some large blow outs. Be careful crossing some of the large hills as they are very peaked and the road veers off one way or the other at the top. Drive sensible and its a good trip. Cheers and stay safe, mark. ps. first post, hope its ok.
AnswerID: 422408

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 08:50

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 08:50
Murrayman,
Interesting in your trip. We are heading up to Tibboburra from Melbourne in 4 weeks & then across to Innaminka for a spot of camping. Noticed you mentioned you were fishing. How did it go as I was hoping to wet a line while we were in the area. What was biting and what did you find they were biting on?
FollowupID: 692815

Follow Up By: Member - David C2 (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:25

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:25
Hi Chris I am heading the same way about 7 weeks so I will look forward to hearing how you went. Don't catch them all. ;-)

Happy Travels Dave
FollowupID: 692840

Follow Up By: murrayman - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 18:03
hi chrisK, We caught 1/2 dozen nice yellabelly and 8 grunter, both lovely table fish.yella were mainly caught after dark, grunters whenever. We stopped at a bore on the way up an caught about 40 yabbies which we kept alive by chilling em down, puts em to sleep. When we ran out we went out to napper merie bridge and spent a couple of hours out there and got another 40 shrimp and a couple of grunters. best bait is local bait. Store keeps prawn as back up, there alright but live bait is best. We camped down western end of town common. quick tip, iff you have your own portable shower set up use epson salts to settle the clay out over night. Ends up like rain water. cheers mark
FollowupID: 692881

Sponsored Links