Wheel bearing leaking again - why???

Submitted: Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:18
ThreadID: 79709 Views:3419 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all forum gurus. I have a 04 Hilux 4WD which I've just discovered is leaking diff oil from the drivers side rear axle bearing for the 3rd time in just over 50,000 km (two previous replacements). Unless it's incredibly bad luck, it would seem there must be some underlying reason for this, as the other side factory bearing is still going fine.

Any suggestions as to what the real problem might be? Replace the axle maybe?

Thanks, John

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:28

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:28
theres two seals on the hilux's, if you damage one of them you will get a leak. total parts cost is under $20. the only problem is you will need to buy the kit which costs roughly $50.

Also check that you didn't pinch or damage the seal when you put them in and put plenty of grease on the wear area's, also check to see if there is any pitting, scoring or grooving if the machined surface.

I just did the both back ones, i have drums, so pulling off all of the drum crap and then doing the rebuild, i screwed up the drivers side so will have to do it again, fun.

also there is a seperate large o-ring seal that if you don't put in it will leak also. if you still have problems put som good quality rtv sealant around the mating faces only.
AnswerID: 422410

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:03

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:03
bent axle is a real possability, most mechanics fit a speedy sleeve - if this has been done then yes you def have an issue, if not why do they keep replacing the seals without one

also seals should always be genuine toyota.
AnswerID: 422422

Reply By: trainslux - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:28

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:28
is the diff breather blocked??
Could also show up a leak, that otherwise would not be there.

T
AnswerID: 422439

Reply By: Clanky - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:13
1) diff breather is a good place to start
2)Too much oil in diff
3) bent diff housing
4) Try a genuine seal as there are some poor quality ones kicking around the traps
Or ring Superior for a HD axle seal as this page mentions rear ones (not sure about Hilux though)
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=10_11_13_240&products_id=3047

5) Another thing is the oring seals for the backing plate/bearing dont always seal the bestaround the flange. A lot of repair places put a bead of oil resistant silicon over the top of the oring when re-installing (I didnt like this idea either to begin with, but it certainly works). Helps stop getting water in too!

AnswerID: 422443

Follow Up By: Clanky - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:19

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:19
Forgot to mention to check the seal rubbing surface on the axle too, and that the axle is straight
FollowupID: 692825

Reply By: Member - John R (cQld) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:33

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:33
Thanks all for the suggestions. Some possible suggested causes can be ruled out, eg breather is not blocked, oil level is fine. The mechanic has suggested taking out the axle and checking that for bends, scoring etc so we'll have a look and see what eventuates.

Re the "genuine parts" debate, well the first replacement was supposedly a genuine, at a Toyo dealer under warranty, but that lasted only about 3000km before leaking, so not a good recommendation, but maybe it was the mechanics, not the parts??

I'll post back here again if anything definite shows up after the job is done.

Cheers, John

AnswerID: 422697

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 20:52

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 20:52
Followup after replacement of the seal:
The mechanic believes that there is a design fault here in the locking ring (collar) that the oil seal is meant to push over, as he showed me. In short, the ring is not wide enough for the seal to go over the ring. Instead, the seal just touches the chamfer on the ring, and does not make a tight seal, so a little wear will result in the seal leaking again. Not what you want to hear. He is still trying to track down a wider ring that might cure the problem permanently.

Must be just enough variation on the passenger's side wheel for its seal to hold so far.

FollowupID: 694675

Sponsored Links