"good" air pumps

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:16
ThreadID: 7971 Views:2857 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have to make a decision before next weekend which pump to buy.

I can't get the answers I need from the suppliers, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

The 2 contenders are the "Blue Tongue IV" and the "Big Red Plus".

Both of these pumps are manufactured by Thomas in the U.S. and I have managed to obtain the model number for the Blue Tongue IV (for anyone who is interested it is: 415CDC42/12-194)

Can someone who has the Big Red Plus please provide me with the model number for it.

Once I have the model numbers I will be able to download the spec sheets from www.thomaspumps.com and do a real comparison.

I have chosen to do this because each supplier reckons their pump kills the other one but are very light on actual figures that can directly compare the two.

These essential pieces of kit are not cheap and hopefully will last a long time so I want to get the one that represents the best value for money.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:42

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:42
I have a Bluetongue 3 and it is pretty good. Yes, they are expensive but should last you at least 10 years. Whether a pump can deliver more psi/kilopascals in less seconds is neither here nor there, the difference being negligible. It is up to you which brand you want to go with. Can't you find info on the web on Big Red PLus?
Cheers,
Willie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 34565

Reply By: Rhubarb - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:30

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:30
Ays sorry can't help with the model #, but you should also take a look at the Twin Blue Tongue.

Let us know how your comparison goes.

Cheers,
Rhu
AnswerID: 34580

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:36

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:36
Not sure about the current models of these two pumps, but I went for the Blue Tongue 3, because it has a fan and is rated for continuous use. I've pumped 12 tyres up consecutively and the pump's fine. Big Red used to cut out when it got too hot.
AnswerID: 34660

Reply By: Member - W.Wallace - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:30

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:30
Ays,
If you can get hold of the latest 4Wd Accessories Guide Vol 1 No.4, put out by 4WD Monthly magazine, they have quite a good comparison between different air compressors that might help you make a decision.

I think most of the better brands will all do a pretty good job, it really comes down to how much time you are willing to wait for it to pump up tyres & price.

I personally have a Blue Twin Tongue, because I have no patience. Expensive, but it"s good for me.

All the best.
AnswerID: 34671

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:43

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:43
Yeah the blue tounge and the Big red and the twin tounge are Thomas us built, I did a fair bit of searching on the net and found a site which had all the specs on all of thomases pumps, Can't remenber the adress (sorry). But i can tell you that the blue tounge is continuious rated at 100psi, the Big red at 30psi, volumetric output is about the same, Check out Truckspring.com and go to the Firestone individual components and then the compressors section. You will find the heavy duty compressor that is the thomas and the same as the Big Red for $160 us.

I have just recieved a final quote for the supply of one Heavy Duty Thomas compressor and a Airbag (Polyair) kit for my Jackaroo, $ 400 aussie dollars total delivered to my door. I basically am going to get my airbag kit for free ($350 here).
Worth a look, Just be carefull as a lot of the sites (Grainger etc) are wholesalers only, but these guys are retail and happy to help.Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 34690

Reply By: ays - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:21

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:21
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the Blue Tongue IV because it is air cooled. It is slightly less powerful than the Big Red Plus. I have obtained the specs for both of these from Thomas and I will post them on the forum
AnswerID: 34941

Reply By: srowlandson - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:19

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:19
We just bought one of these last night.
http://www.offroadshop.com.au/accessories/air-accessories/

The air up times are out of this world.

35" from 15-32 in about 32 secs

Can run Air tools etc. :D

AnswerID: 34949

Sponsored Links