Supplies along the Anne Beadell & Connie Sue Highways

Submitted: Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 21:28
ThreadID: 79712 Views:3488 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

later this year a group of us will be traversing the Anne Beadell & Connie Sue Highways from Coober Pedy. We are currently applying for the various permits.

Various sources suggest that supplies are available at Ilkurlka Roadhouse. One of our party has tried to contact the roadhouse without success. Does anyone know what level of provisions we could expect? Frozen meat? Frozen bread? UHT milk? What about 'fresh' fruit & veg? or is this a bit too optimistic? What is their water like - can we trust it or should we cart our own?

Regards

Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry 2 - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 22:50

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 22:50
Hi Graeme
My wife and I traveled the same tracks you intend to traverse in 2007, we had a great time, if you take your time and smell the " Desert Flowers" so to speak it is a great adventure. We also had trouble contacting the Ilkurlka Roadhouse we left messages and Fax's eventually they returned our calls and were very friendly once we explained our plans to them they informed us they would leave a message on the notice board informing other Roadhouse staff of our travel plans. Depending on what happens around the area there may not be always someone in attendance.
When we did arrive we had a great experience.
Bearing in mind this was '07 there was a small camping area across the track from roadhouse which had a "donkey" fired hot water system for showers.
Provisions available were limited like all out back outposts.Depending on what was delivered that week/month and how many travelers have passed through as to what is left.From my experiences of traveling extensively throughout our fantastic outback once you leave the blacktop and head "OUTBACK" forget about fresh fruit/veg and be self sufficient and anything you come across to replenish the pantry accept as a bonus.Fuel was available diesel/ULP in overhead tanks.
Fresh water unsure of availability but again a good philosophy traveling outback is to be self sufficient,only use other peoples experiences as a guide only because things can and do change very quickly in the "OUTBACK".
Hope this has been of some assistance to you and good luck with your travels.

Safe Travels
Bazza
AnswerID: 422421

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:05

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:05
Graeme,
I forgot to mention once we left the Ilkurlka roadhouse and turned onto the Connie Sue track at Neale Junction there is nothing till you reach Warburton.
Also we struck a few mining vehicles towards Neale Junction talking to one of the drivers there is a sizable mine out in the desert. He was running a shuttle service between the mine and Perth transporting people and supplies.

Cheers
Bazza
FollowupID: 692806

Follow Up By: Tbreak - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 19:58

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 19:58
Thanks Bazza.

I wasn't really expecting there to be much in the way of provisions at Ilkurlka given its remoteness, but it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

As advised, we will be looking to be largely self sufficient.

Thanks again.

Graeme
FollowupID: 693103

Reply By: Steve63 - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:45

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:45
Hi,
There is not much out there.
On the Anne Beadell you are on your own until Ilkurlka. The roadhouse is run by the community and tends to stock healthy options. I think I remember some frozen meat but no fresh veg. That does not mean that they dont have any, just there was not any when I was there. The biggest problem you will have is that it will be luck of the draw about what they will actually have. Transport costs are high and they tend to wait until they need a full truck load. They did have UTH milk and plenty of canned goods. Keep ringing you will get through eventually.

There are any number of bores and shed tanks on both roads particularly on the WA side. Many are not marked on the maps. I believe the community keeps many of them topped up. Don't count on any of these to have water or be working though. We tend to seperate drinking water and water for washing up etc. We refill the secondary water every chance we get. Obviously we would drink it if we had to though would boil it first.

You didn't mention your route and as the Anne Beadell and Connie Sue cross at right angles you must be doing a loop somewhere or only doing part of each road. By the way there is a shed tank at the camp area 200m west of the intersection of the two tracks. Warberton and Laverton both have good supplies. Warberton usually has fresh fruit and veg in the fridges as well as frozen meat and a well stocked supermarket.

When you get to Rawlina at the southern end of the Connie Sue the track to Cocklebiddy is no longer clearly marked. You may want to check with the station if you were planning to go that way. Also note that if you are planning to go east on the track next to the railway it is closed between Haig and somewhere in SA. Info is on the Hema map. I believe the fine is now huge.

We were on the Connie Sue in May and it is pretty overgrown in areas. The The spinifex stalks in the middle of the track were over five feet high so watch for it blocking the radiator and catching under the vehicle.

Steve
AnswerID: 422776

Follow Up By: Tbreak - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:28

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:28
Thanks Steve,

sorry - I should have indicated that we will be crossing from Coober Pedy to as far as Neale Jct and then heading to Warburton.

Good info on the spinifex along the Connie Sue - the group has discussed the need for some sort of radiator shield and regular checks underneath vehicles.

Our intention is to carry plenty of drinking water, but it would be good to be able to pick up water for other requirements where we can.

It looks like we will have to carry enough food supplies to get us through to Warburton. If Ilkurlka has supplies when we get there we can do our bit by making some purchases.

Graeme
FollowupID: 693246

Sponsored Links