Off Road information needed

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 16:47
ThreadID: 79725 Views:2689 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I need some information on the track conditions and grade of these Northern
Territory tracks. We will be coming down the Duncan Road from Victoria Hwy to meet the Buntine Hwy. Then along that track to the Buchanan Hwy to meet the Alice/Darwin Hwy.
We will be on the tracks in the dry season possibly July 2011.
Any information will be appreciated.
Cheers
Billy (Hacka)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 17:40

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 17:40
Billy,
Like all tracks they can change on a monthly basis. What's OK today can be a shocker due to say corrigations next month. Best ask ths question in 12 months.

Regards......................Jeff
AnswerID: 422485

Follow Up By: Member - William Harold B (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:07
Thanks Jeff.
We are looking at doing the 3 tracks in April, not long after the wet. They should be in a resonable condition then.
Once done, we will hold the record for the most legal crossings of the WA border.
Cheers
Billy
FollowupID: 692888

Reply By: Joe n Mel - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:06
can you explain a bit more as to where you will be going, we lived out there for a while so may be able to help......
Where is the "Duncan" i probally know it by another name....
But again it has big changes with the wet, this year was a "dry" wet, last year we had the Vic river, on our back door step.... rise 13M overnight .... so will be a different story next year .....
AnswerID: 422498

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:09

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:09
It never floods at Yarralin...........So they say hehehehehe

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 692890

Follow Up By: Member - William Harold B (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:12

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:12
Hi Joe and Mel. The Duncan Road comes off the Victoria Hwy just over the border from Kununurra and goes south to meet the Buntine.
We are looking at doing the tracks in April next year in the hope that the wet season has flattened them out a bit.
Cheers
Billy
FollowupID: 692891

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:16
Joe and Mel,

Duncan Road is the 1st road to the south after the Amanbidji community turn off when heading west on the Victoria Highway. About 21km before the Quarantine checkpoint into WA ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 692892

Follow Up By: Joe n Mel - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:45
hahahaha never rains at Yarralin either ..... 3 blo$#y times we were on evac alert ..........
Now i know the road ....... i would not even attempt to guess what it would be like until about 1 month BEFORE you guys go .....
Never been on that one, been the back way to Halls Creek, the black soil plains are what will probally stop you, the wet wont flatten much, havent heard that one before, will bet it put some big grooves in it.....
FollowupID: 692898

Reply By: Member - Tim C (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 21:09

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 21:09
HI Hacka,
having travelled the duncan more than once, just so we could go back and over, each time the road has been in good condition. By this I mean we were able to easily travel around the 90km mark. There were a few corro's but seriously, tell me a road which doesn't. The views were fantastic, with some very good campling along the way each time. Dont stress over conditions, just expect a few bumps and then respectfully let your tyres down.
The Buchanan is an amazing trip!!! lots to check out, dont go to fast or you will miss it all. speeds can go up to 110km if your not careful.make sure you stop at the top of the rises from the plains........ I say no more.
Enjoy the peace and isolation ..
Travel well
Toolman
AnswerID: 422515

Follow Up By: Member - William Harold B (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 21:22
Onya Toolman.
The bride and I have done 27 tracks by ourselves. We have no fear of conditions as we always allow time and drive to those conditions.
We were just looking for something to do while we had the Van parked at Kununurra. We will do Kulumburu while we are at it.
Thanks for the info on the scenery. We do take a lot of photography when we can.
Cheers
Hacka
FollowupID: 692912

Sponsored Links