annandale ruins

Hey does anybody know anything about the history of Annandale ruins in the Simpson desert I can't find out anything other than 2 kids were killed by there mother. there might be a book or something please help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kurd - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 18:06

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 18:06
In his book "Another Country" Nicolas Rothwell references the story in a chapter titled The Angels Of Annandale.

The book is well worth a read, focussing as it does on northern and central Australia.

Rothwell is the northern correspondent for The Australian and has brought out another book since this one.
AnswerID: 422486

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 23:35

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 23:35
As well as the tragic deaths of the two children, here’s what I’ve found out from various sources:

In 1845 charles sturt gave up his search for the inland sea near Annandale.
In 1848 Ludwig Leichart most probably passed near there on his “final” expedition.
In 1876 Patrick Drinan took up Annandale Station
Birdsville and Bedourie developed in the late 1870s/early 1880s to service
The development of the Kidman empire in Queensland stems from Kidman Brothers' acquisition of Annandale in 1896.
David Brooks’s grandfather managed Annandale Station for Kidman in the early 1900’s.
Annandale Station was abandoned because of drought in 1916.
Cecil Madigan passed annandale ruins on 3rd july 1939. You can read his account including his opinions of Kidman in his book “crossing the dead heart”
AnswerID: 422532

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 13:40
Hi mrt,
My Grandparents worked on Annandale for Syd Kidman in the 1800s.I think it was after the mother killed her 2 children because the waterhole went dry and the men were all away mustering and they had no water at the house. She killed her children to save them from perishing to death as far as I know.
The men returned soon after (sadly) & found the mother wandering senselessly through the sand dunes
My grandmother spoke of Annandale occasionally but she went senile before I became interested enough to find out more.
She spoke of the sanddunes blowing into the house and the never ending battle to keep the sand out and of course she spoke of the lonelyness.
We visited the Ruins when the waterhole there was full and we loved it except for the hawds of flies which I can remember Nanna speaking of.
There is also another book called " No roads go bye" by a female with the surname White I think. Not 100% sure it's about Annandale but I think it is.
Annandale is now included in the property owned by Brooks.
AnswerID: 422578

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 15:45

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 15:45
Back again mrt,
I just googled The Angels of Annandale & found the story and photos by a journalist. My grandparents were there in the late 1800s this tragedy appears to have occurred in the 1900s.
My grandmother was suffering Altzheimers by the time I really started to listen and I've never known that it was a sheep station at all.
I really wish that I knew that I was going to have an interest in Annandale at an earlier age.
Now, how I wish I'd really spoken to her about her life in more detail before the Altlzheimers began. One of lifes' lessons learnt too late.
Take care keep safe.
Regards Ma.
FollowupID: 692973

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:55

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:55
But wait, there's more!!!
Have just read the section in the book by Rothwell. It is in the article written by the journalist Glen Cambell on google. There are tow headings, it is the second further over in page 2 for The Angels of Annandale. It seems that the sheep thing was wrong and that the place was cattle at the time, but it's authenticity is still a bit of a mystery.
Thankyou mrt for asking this question and a big thankyou to you, who suggested the book by Rothwell. I've just found that my cousins have part of my family history! Now, just to find out if these books were ever published!
I haven't seen Bev for about 15 yrs. Funny the things that turn up on this site!
Take care, safe travels.
With best wishes, Ma.
FollowupID: 692983

Sponsored Links