*** HELP! with Amplified Rear Speakers Wiring ***

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:01
ThreadID: 7975 Views:1908 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
My Toy '92 Surf SSR-X came with an aftermarket CD Player wired to the front speakers only which the previous owner blew up.... : (
So no tunes and hence begins my journey.....

Had a look at the wiring after I pulled off the dash/glove and the previous owner must have read how to do it on the back of a CornFlakes box.
I managed to wire up new front speakers fine. I took apart the rear panels and found the rear speakers still in place. These are powered (amp'd) speakers.

Browsed the web and found some interesting stuff like you need to
connect the External Switch Amp Power line from the CD/Tape Player unit to the
rear speakers. DO NOT mistakenly connect the ANT. Power line to the amps as the amp'd rear speakers will work ONLY when the AM/FM radio is on, not CD or cassette.

Here's where i need help:

1. How do I safely test that the amp'd rear speakers work?

2. The rear speaker unitss have 5 wires. Presuming they are the Amplified Rear Speaker type, I have no wiring schematics and need some help on hooking up my sound to these amp'd rear speakers

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Pete

p.s. here is a good site for sound wiring for most vehicles www.installdr.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mudgutz - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:57

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:57
need some more info to help......do the speakers have an amp seperate somewhere in the car or do you think they are an all in one unit say like a separate powered sub woofer in a home theatre system......
AnswerID: 34581

Follow Up By: PeterS - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:05

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:05
thx for the reply
When i pulled off the rear panels, the speakers are built into its own box. In this box is also a heatsink which i guess is part of the amp. Both speakers have this.
The socket on the box has 5 pins - 2 i presume for spkr +/- inputs. Its the other 3 I am unsure about
my work number is 02 99472230
FollowupID: 24935

Reply By: PeterS - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:07

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:07
there is no amps in the vehicle except the ones in the rear speakers
AnswerID: 34583

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 13:06

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 13:06
what brand are they.....more then likely..power to amp....source to amp and ground are the other three.....
FollowupID: 24945

Reply By: PeterS - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 13:14

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 13:14
thxmudgutz
I dunno what the brand is but its stock standard stuff
Any suggestions on finding out what the 5 cables are i.e which os +/- spkr, power, gnd, other??? I have tried nearly everything except Strathfield Car Audio...... lol
AnswerID: 34591

Reply By: Mickl - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:30

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:30
It's really difficult to help with this sort of problem over the forum, even with more info (cable colours/sizes) Without checking with a test light or multimeter a certain amount of assumption would be involved...Maybe someone on here can help with a wiring diagram?? I know the full workshop manual is on the net somewhere for download (for 3lt 96 model anyway, not sure for yours. Can find out for you or try a search yourself). Remember the inputs for your amp'd speakers are going to be low level inputs... don't just hook up the speaker wires from your head unit, you'll just fry the amps ... either use the low level outputs (RCA plugs on back of head unit) or bypass the amps on the speakers. If you have a fairly decent head unit it's inbuilt amp will most likely be just as good or better than the amps on the speakers.
Another option is to replace the rears all together. If on a buget try Jaycar electronics, their 'Response' brand of speakers have excellent specs and are great value for money, the 6x9's are especially good.
AnswerID: 34629

Follow Up By: PeterS - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:02

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:02
Thx
I would really like to know the site for the full workshop manual - I did a search but came up empty !!!
I would really like to know how it was wired up initially (curious)

I will try the RCA outputs wired to the rears first as they look real neat in the box behind the panels- i dont want to hack the interior too much as I want the interior to look like stock as much as possible.

If that doesnt work out I will have to pop into Jaycar next payday
FollowupID: 25039

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:29

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:29
The wiring will most likely be speaker + - , amp + - , and remote trigger from the head unit. BUT some of the japanese issue stuff like the Carizma branded speakers also have 'disco' lights built in (love the Japanese trends !!) so without seeing it can only guess.. Best advice use an aussie spec head unit so the frequencies are correct, and buy some quality aftermarket speakers with plain looking grilles or removeable badges from the grilles.. The average quality stuff - Clarion Alpine etc is pretty cheap for the quality you get, Happy tunes BradLife is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 34689

Reply By: PeterS - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:43

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:43
OK will give it a shot
Thanks for the advice
AnswerID: 34691

Reply By: Mickl - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:18

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:18
Pete, I will get back to you with the web site for the workshop manual, I don't own the Surf, my mate does and he's away for work until friday. I will post the link when I get it from him. He only downloaded it last week and I'm sure he said it was free. At this stage don't get to excited as the only thing I know for sure is that this manual covers the 1996 model and apart from similar styling it is virtually a different vehicle (yours being similar to the oz 4 Runner... his being more like a Prado( engine, transmission chassis etc)) As I said, I'll post the link when I get it and hopefully it will be of some help to you.
AnswerID: 34728

Reply By: PeterS - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:40

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:40
Thanks mate - i look forward to it
In the mean time i'll keep on testing
AnswerID: 34734

Follow Up By: Mickl - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:25

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:25
Peter,
Here is the link:

>

Bad news is it seems to have been removed from the web ( or I just can't get it to work!!)

Good news is my mate has it on file and if you can't get the link to work either I can still Email you the manual. Let me know.

Mike.
FollowupID: 25291

Follow Up By: PeterS - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:45

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:45
Mike
No link buddy
if you could email it to peter.sinclair@jwt.com I would be grateful.
Cheers

burb! too many beers!
FollowupID: 25295

Follow Up By: Mickl - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:53

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:53
Gee, that didn't work at all... frikkin computers :)

Will Email it, however you'll have to wait again (sorry) as soon as I get it I'll forward it on to you!
FollowupID: 25298

Reply By: hoyks - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:08

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:08
get rour self a multi meter and set it to ohms. When you get 4 ohms on a circuit, that is the speaker.
Other option is to hook it up and see what happens.

What could possibly go wrong?
AnswerID: 34960

Follow Up By: PeterS - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:13

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:13
Thanks for the 4ohm tip - I totally forgot that basic rule!
If i just hook it up i risk blowing the amp as their is no fuse in the amp'd spkr circuit - dont really want to do that ; )
FollowupID: 25266

Follow Up By: Mickl - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:19

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:19
This is poor advice, the amps inputs are not going to measure the same impedance as the speaker!!! You will only be measuring the the impedance of the amps circuitry!! AND plenty of things could go wrong if you just hook it up (ie... apply 12v power to the imputs and not power supply and you're gonna cook the amp! as it will have no protection for this!)

By the way speakers also come in 2, 4 and 6 ohms... don't just as assume is 8 ohm because 8 ohm is a common type. Also a speaker coil may not measure exactly it's rated ohm's. ( for example, my "4 ohm" subwoofer coil measures 3.6 ohms across the terminals).
FollowupID: 25289

Follow Up By: PeterS - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:37

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:37
Ta Micki
Will take your previous advice ; )

Hoyks, thanks again - the more tips the better
FollowupID: 25292

Reply By: hoyks - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:22

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:22
I wired up those speakers in my Father in law's Four runner last Christmas with the help of my brother in law who repaired radios in the navy, so he knew a bit about this kind of stuff. After about 3 hours with no success, we ended up hooking up the stereo anyway.
Just turn it down and be ready to disconect if it goes wrong.
AnswerID: 34961

Follow Up By: hoyks - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:23

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:23
it still works by the way. ;-)
FollowupID: 25267

Reply By: PeterS - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 14:29

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 14:29
HAHAHAHA WHAT A CLASSIC!
I had a 4Runner before the Surf and those original speakers were great
They are loud enough and produce a nice sound - I'm not a doof-doof-doof 'er

I'll heed your advice this weekend and see how why go... thx for the advice
AnswerID: 34978

Reply By: PeterS - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 15:14

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 15:14
Successfully hooked up the speakers and have drawn up the wiring diagram for anyone who wants it email me on petersinclair@fastmail.com.au

Found two things that were wrong:
1. My ANT. POWER and CONT. POWER outputs on the unit do not work hene no power to the amp'd speakers in the rear.
2. Original cabling to rear speakers have been cut somewhere!

I re-wired the speakers along with IGNT.POWER and GND to the rear.
With the Toyota Amp'd Speakers, there are 5 inputs and they are (as Bradley pointed out) +VE, GND, SPK+, SPK-, CONT.POWER.
Since my stereo is #*&*%^%$, I wired the IGNT.POWER to the Speakers CONT.POWER input which means that they will switch on even if the stereo is off.
This is not ideal but i Have sound

THx for all the support and I have hunted down some Toyta EPC Discs if anyone is interested.
Pete
AnswerID: 35262

Sponsored Links