Searching Exploreoz - Things to remember - Be helpfull

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 13:51
ThreadID: 79752 Views:3129 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I just read a thread where the first comment from a responding poster was to ask if they did a search.

Not long ago I was after some information on Camp Oven preparation. I search that exact text and a few different versions of it with bad spelling ones as well. I ended up with everything about "camp plus "oven" + "preparation". Including how to prepare a damper. I had six hundred hits at one stage. So I read about the first twenty. None of them had anything remotely like preparing a camp oven in them. Having written search algorithms for many years before retiring it really frustrates me. The search engine used here works but it cannot find anything that is not spelt correctly.

I then asked the forum how to do it. I did state in my post that I had tried. Yet I still got the "search fanatics" who told me I should search first. I got an immediate response from an excellent user who gave me the exact link I needed that cleared my issue up completely. 1.5 hours wasted searching. I printed it and stuck it to the camp ovens lib. Thanks heavens I do not have to do that search again.

Try searching for "nullabor" and "nullabore" and "nullabour". Now I ask what is the correct spelling. If you use the wrong version you will miss the article in "Rubberlegs'" blog. Fictitious choice of used id.

My point is. If you can come up with a link yourself that suits the posters request then you should give it to him. Don't attack him for not using the search function. Knowing my son, he wouldn't understand the intricacies of how to select the text to find. Let alone the need for punctuation to instigate a boolean function.

People, please be more helpful. Maybe even show the EXACT text you used in your search. Keep it friendly.

With good intent and no criticism against anyone AT ALL.

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:12

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:12
Phil,

This Blog sort of explains how to use the search function, although it doesn't allow for peoples spelling LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422584

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:24
Thanks Kev. Even though you are a Queenslander.

I am aware of that and you did exactly as I though people should say. You were both helpful and pleasant. Some respondents unfortunately do not understand the problems provided by bad spelling and grammar. And I really don't care what they type. As long as its easy to understand. Lets not go there. Okay!!! SMS Grrrrrr

I was a programmer for many years and that was the first place I went. Pretty standard. Problem is that it's incorrect spelling and grammar handling leaves a bit to be desired. Its good - But its not human. Being fed by text from the site with multiple spelling errors in it also compounds the problem.

I thank you and hope we can share a drink some time.

Phil
FollowupID: 692963

Reply By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:49
Hi Phil, Totally agree, even searching Google sometimes unless you put in exactly what you want it wont find it. Very frustrating trying every possible variance.

Damien
Love the bush

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 422588

Reply By: Pete Mac - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 15:10

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 15:10
I have posted this before...

Not criticising exploroz, but using google to search the site gives hugely more relevant results than using the internal search.

Simply go to google and append your search topic with "site:exploroz.com"

So if I were searching for info on Bridgestone D693's I would enter the following search in google;

bridgestone d693 site:Exploroz.com

Do a test - you will see the difference in the results returned....

Cheers,

Pete
AnswerID: 422590

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 15:58

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 15:58
Now your talking about a commercial search engine as opposed to a forum one.

But you may have missed my point. I was discussing the ethics of how some people should respond. Not how to find the info.

Thanks for dropping in Pete. Was it you who helped me with the Camp oven. Because I (memory shot) have a tingling in my bones that it was. If so thanks again. Interesting that you can limit Google to a site. Never tried that.

In Google you used to be able to click on an option to limit the search to Australia. That appears to have disappeared. Can it still be done? How?

Phil
FollowupID: 692975

Follow Up By: Pete Mac - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:07
ahh - I think we had a chat about mapping systems...

Yes - the search Australia option is still there but it is now in the left hand column;

'Pages from Australia'
FollowupID: 692977

Follow Up By: goddosglory - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 17:41

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 17:41
My sentiments exactly...if you dont want to answer the enquiry..dont
there is no need to belittle people for asking..thats what forums are for.
i for one appreciate the people who take the time to give their opinions
FollowupID: 692989

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:15

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:15
Agree wholeheartedly vk1dx.

Wrt Australian sites on Google - the Google option still returns many external websites, another option (which does remove some Aussie sites also) is to append 'site:.au' to your search a la Pete Mac's suggestion (like the idea of the Google Exploroz search, thanks PM).

One thing which concerns me a little with the forum is the APPARENT reliance (in a very few cases) on Exploroz advice in quasi legal issues, if you get my drift. Questioners would be well-advised to not rely totally on Exploroz replies in regard to queries such as 'what is the speed limit....', 'what towing load...' . Obviously depends on the answers given but I only hope they also search elsewhere to verify replies in such cases.
FollowupID: 693010

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:44

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:44
A bit ot but I would like to suggest that if you read those forums you will see that there is usually advice somewhere to seek the answer with the local authorities. On the other hand a lot of 4WDers don't really care if its legal or not. They just want to bung in some blocks and lift the car 7". I am not pointing at those who get it legally designed, implemented and certified. Just those who don't care about rules. Or should I say, they only select the rules that suit them.

Thanks for the tip re the "site:.au" filter. Excellent.

Phil
FollowupID: 693016

Reply By: Dasher Des - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:24
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 422614

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:59
Often suggesting people do a search (& showing them how) is the best advice that can be given as clearly many don't, either because they are lazy or unsure. The worst I've seen is asking the same question that was posted just 5 lines earlier on the same day! You must remember that some people that reply have often answered that same question 1/2 a dozen times already in one year. A case in point at the moment is the Birdsville track ferry chat where much of the same information is repeated every few days. Unfortunately this repitition seems to end up with poor replys & less followups than what we saw in the past because many no longer bother.
Being told to try a search shouldn't be seen as belittling, just suggesting another option that they may not have tried. While the seach function is a bit hit & miss on this site that's no excuse not to give it a go & if you have already just say so. It's unfortunate that the system used here see's posts dopped off after just a few days instead of being brought back to the top when further replys are added. This is the prime cause of repitition which then leads to "Do a search"
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 422621

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:32

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:32
Craig,

The forum default setting is to have the threads in numerical order.

As per this blog you can easily change the settings to allow the most current thread with a reply/follow up to the top of the list.

Up until Roachie made an enquiry about how threads were archived, all threads whether still active or not were archived after a month. Now I think the system archives a thread 1 month after the most recent reply/follow up.

Hope that Helps

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692998

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:33

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:33
Too true.

I know that thread and I wonder why you keep going back if it annoys you. I gave up ages ago. Usually after the first page all has been said anyway.

The incorrect grammar can be very belittling. And brevity can be down right insulting. Recently some clown said exactly as you typed "Do a search" to me. The twit had clearly not read the fact that I had been searching for 1.5 hours. I could have throttled him. Total ignorance.

My point is be courteous you may have to ask one day. As they say "reap as you sow". Or word to that effect.

Thanks for the opinion.

Phil
FollowupID: 692999

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:44
My post was directed at Craig. Not you Kev.

Phil
FollowupID: 693001

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:38

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:38
Thanks Kev yes I'm aware of the ability to change the settings but the default & the archiving ensures posts will always drop off quickly leaving people little choice but to repeat the topic again.

"I know that thread and I wonder why you keep going back if it annoys you."
The topic intrests me alot & the addition of new photos & updates is alway great. If it could all be kept together in one thread like a "Sticky" then we wouldn't have to wade through the repetition to find the intresting bits.
As you suggest Phil directing people to an existing thread that answers their question would be the courteous thing to do. Saves on typing too :-)
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 693014

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:23

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:23
Hi Phil,

The search function still leaves me at odds from time to time and I asked a similar question back in 2008, thread 54576.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 422624

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:47

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:47
I have to agree with you. I think there are some who do not read the question, but instantly hit their "do a search" buttonl

If you can't answer the question, butt out and leave it to those that are keen to help.

Cheers
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422627

Reply By: skulldug - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:20

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:20
VK1,

Excellent post. A forum should be interactive rather than a searchable dictionary. In recent times, this forum has censured any comment on how it works. This is disappointing and I guess its why exploroz is less useful than the wonderful resource it used to be.

Skull

AnswerID: 422636

Reply By: Charles Jenkinson - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:12

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:12
I guess the other matter is that so many Google searches do give forum results from Exploroz on 4WD matters. We must remember that the rest of the Internet reads what we write when looking for information on our wonderful pastime.

This means that we also shouldn't leave threads incomplete - for instance in a recent search I performed on Google, I was referred back to a forum thread where members discussed a topic, but the opinions and solutions were somewhat circular and off-topic. The question asked wasn't really answered, which well and truly wasted the page's usefulness.

We need to be aware that others actually accept our suggestions, and act on them. We could debate whether it should or shouldn't be, and thankfully most of the advice given on the forum is usually pretty sensible, IMHO. (The slightly more questionable suggestions are usually refuted, thankfully.) My point is that we should keep a certain amount of quality, not to mention decorum, to our responses.

It does drive me nuts when people ask questions without searching, about as much as it used to drive me nuts when people asked computer questions (before the days of the internet) without first of all trying to work it out themselves, or even pressing the F1 key. But it also drives me nuts when I get 10 Google search hits from these forums with rude responses, and referring people on hard-to-find topics to try searching.

Charles

Gracie "The Grey Ghost"
1991 Toyota Landcruiser GXL (HDJ80R)
4.2L 1HD-T Turbo Diesel
358,864 km and counting!
AnswerID: 422714

Sponsored Links