Open Street Map

It is not good for the Australian bush, but you can make your own
quick maps for country towns or more important for any part of the
world. I was planning a mbike trip to the Swiss Alps and surrounds
and you can generate high res images and stitch them easily for a
complete trip map.
and a utility to download as an alternative

Taho Utility

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did not search.

have fun
gmd

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 07:43

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 07:43
For road trip planning in Europe, you can't beat Microsoft Autoroute. It is absolutely the ants pants and doesn't cost a lot, about $100 when I bought it online. It is accurate and detailed and covers everywhere in Europe and UK. If it says the time taken will be 2 hrs 15 minutes then mostly it will be right. I know Google does similar for free but this is worth the money and I am usually a bit anti Microsoft.
Switzerland.....pretty place but bring your money with you :-) and I hope you like tunnels. How can such a small place have 4 different languages?
Have a great trip. Mike
AnswerID: 422657

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:51

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:51
You don't have to use tunnels :).. I am going over the tops of the mountains not through tunnels and of course into the neighbour countries. It is not as expensive as Australia when you compare quality of food and know where to go. Travelling in Australia is expensive with low quality food at inflated prices everywhere.
You can live on chocolate for some time very cheap in Switzerland ... lol
For me it is not so much about route planning with times, it is about planning a stay in one place and then 4 -5 day trips over 3-6 mountain passes. Time does not matter. Thanks for the tip anyway.
regards
gmd
FollowupID: 693058

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 23:26

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 23:26
I'm with you on the chocolate that's for sure.
FollowupID: 693120

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 15:11

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 15:11
Hi

Mobile Atlas Creator may work for you as well. Inlcudes option to use data from OSM. Potential to use resulting maps in certain GPS units/Phones etc as well.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422687

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:22

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:22
This uses the same maps .. it's just another UI
thanks for posting
gmd
FollowupID: 693079

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:38

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 17:38
....well yes it uses OSM as mentioned ...plus a heap of other sources. The advantage is that it is possible to create a calibrated map for a variety of navigation devices from a variety of map sources ..not just OSM/Garmin.

Have fun.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 693085

Sponsored Links