Flight over Lake Eyre and Cooper Creek

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 19:55
ThreadID: 79783 Views:5273 Replies:6 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Here is an attempt to put up a couple of pictures of the Lake Eyre Area, we took a flight with Wrights Air from Maree and the flight was worth every cent.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Hope you enjoy, we will be heading back out in a few weeks or so . . .

Cheers

Ray

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:20

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:20
Hi Ray
Thanks for that and I can relate very much to the Cooper pictures. The water level has risen since we were there in early June. In your third picture, which was taken from the northern section of the Birdsville Track heading south, here is the same section of road just before the water has broken through, leaving that last section cut off.

We are back up there again in around 6 weeks and will be spending at least a week there as well as other out of the way locations on Etadunna Station.

Thanks again for those great pictures.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422716

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:03

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:03
Hi Stephen, won't the road be boggie and dug up from all the traffic soon?

Cheers

Deanna in a panic again.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 693113

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 23:13

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 23:13
Hi Deanna
When we were there, there were 4 separate grader teams working in the area and the roads were in very good condition. They will only become boggy from local rain if they get any.

We head off in 4 weeks via the Simpson, so it will be a further 2 weeks after that until we get back an relax by the Cooper.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 693119

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 00:05

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 00:05
Hi again Stephen, Gee I'm a panic merchant LOL. I really don't want to miss it this time, we have never been in a position whereby we could just pack up and head out there before. We leave Perth in 7 weeks time, and won't be down the Birdsville til well after the races. Ruth mentioned that the fish weren't biting so well, I told our friend who is a mad fisherman, Ray said he really didn't care if the fish were biting or not he will still enjoy trying, so not sure on times for our return trip.

Will you be putting up a post or something about the Simpson trip, would be interested on how you find it out there. We are going the Frenchline, (isn't that the chicken run over the Simpson?LOL) into Birdsville getting there about the 30th and looking forward to catching up with Ruth & Ian, sounds like a great time to be had.

Thanks again so much for your ever reasurring replies, they do stop the panic.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 693121

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:55

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:55
Hey D, stop fussing! Just enjoy the journey - it's going to be GREAT. Make sure you keep your eyes open so you don't miss anything. LOL.
FollowupID: 693125

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 08:04

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 08:04
Hi Deanna
You are in for a real treat and Ian and Ruth are down to earth, fantastic company.
I will do a report for you when we get back. From our previous Simpson trips, which been very many times, there is one very important rule for an easy trip across......TYRE PRESSURE.

What makes me laugh is people saying how hard the tracks are and they are blown over, you get the drift what I am talking about. The hardest Simpson trip that we have undertaken was our GEO Simpson Trip, pure cross country with no tracks to follow for over 400 kilometres, that is what you call hard.

If the sand is soft, do not muck around with pressure. I would go straight to 14psi and gauge it from there. You will only be travelling slow and you will have less strain on your vehicle. As for Big Red, there have been times when we have dropped to 10psi and just glide up, while all the people with high tyre pressure get stuck every time and cut the tracks up.

It is not a race over the Simpson, take your time with low tyre pressure and you will get through with not problems at all.

All the best and have a great trip, and lots of big fish, not unless Ian has caught them all first..LOL

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 693126

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 12:26

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 12:26
Hi Everyone

It was a great trip and will be doing it again sooner rather than later, thanks to Stephen for all the info posted re conditions prior to my trip, great and thanks again.

I just have to work out a system for storing and cataloguing photo's, filled a 2 gig card every day . . lol

Cheers

Ray

FollowupID: 693158

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:40

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:40
Hi Ray
Yes now you can see why we are going back again in August, just so unreal..

Now the best and cheapest way of storing data from your computer would be to get a mini USB portable hard drive. The prices of them have dropped over the last couple of years and you can now get a 500 GB one for under $130. In that way you can back up all your computer contents and know that they are safe. Just make your folders as you would usually do and that way you can keep a record of where you have filed various information, including photos for easy access. If you are travelling without a computer, most good quality 2GB SD cards are around $15 and 4GB SD Cards are around $24 so you could buy extra cards so you do not run out of memory. One thing that I would strongly advise is always take your photos on your maximum quality, as I have seen people that are running low of storage downgrade the image quality just to get extra pictures on a card.

Once again, thank you for your great pictures, it looked unreal from the air.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 693173

Follow Up By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:23

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:23
Hi Stephen

I have a 500 gig passport storage for backup, computer tech said I needed one, but that stays at home.

I travelled with 2 x 2 gig cards, but will get a couple more and was travelling with a Eee PC for downloading the cards.

Image Could Not Be Found

Set up seems to work ok, my camera is a Panasonic Lumix 10 meg, 12x, with a 35-420 lens, I don't play with the settings, take the max, good for playing in photoshop, seems to be just about the handiest camera since the old Pentax Spotmatics I had years ago, just have to learn to drive this one.

Cheers and have a great weekend.

FollowupID: 693186

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 20:13

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 20:13
Hi Ruth, will take your advice on board LOL, yes I will keep my eyes open, I don't like missing anything when we are out in those places. I think the big attraction for me is we were lucky enough to see the landscape in it's normal state and now we have the opotunity to see it in flood. How fantastic is that?

Thanks again for information Stephen, have taken note of tyre pressures, We have done Big Red before but I realise that each year is a different year. The fish, well the longer we wait maybe the bigger the fish (that's if Ian leaves enough) LOL.

Cheers

Deanna waiting very patiently now LOL

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 693219

Reply By: PradoMad - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:31

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:31
awesome pictures, thank you for sharing.
Doing the Darling River Run next week, hopefully we some water too!
JS
AnswerID: 422719

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:01

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:01
Thanks for the pics Lotzi, great, still waiting to get out there.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 422726

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:56

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:56
Good one, Lotzi - good fun,eh?
AnswerID: 422741

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 12:30

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 12:30
Hi Ruth

Yep, big mobs of fun, will have to catch up when I am in Birdsville again.

Was that you and the better half taking the chocolate pups and the 4 legged feline for a walk the other morning ( I couldn't get out of the toasty warm swag to find out)?

Cheers

Ray

FollowupID: 693159

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 13:09

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 13:09
Ray was it two weeks ago? Probably was us - dunno anyone else who has such a menagerie (the feline thinks he's another chocolate pup). Ruth
FollowupID: 693162

Follow Up By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 13:46

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 13:46
Hi Ruth

Yep two weeks ago, morning after the State of Origin, the pups look great and the feline has attitude, looked like it was showing you the way back to the food bowl . . lol

All the best, Cheers

FollowupID: 693165

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 15:29

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 15:29
Ray, were you down the bottom near us - Troopie? Motorbikes? Why didn't you come and say hello - I'm not that scary ( don't say anything DD or others).
FollowupID: 693177

Follow Up By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:04

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:04
Hi Ruth

We were on the non power terrace with water views, ok, I'll drop in next time out there.

Cheers
FollowupID: 693181

Reply By: ChrisK - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:42

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:42
Hi Ray,

Fantastic pictures. My wife & I are heading that way in about 4 weeks. We are hoping to do a flight out of Maree also. How long was your flight and how much? We rekon that you've just got to do it and get out there. See you on the track one day.

ChrisK
AnswerID: 422755

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 12:21

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 12:21
Hi Chris

Just must do the flight . . . !!

The flight from Marree was a 2.5 hour flight for $250 pp, but we seemed to take of at 1100am and landed at 1400pm, value, not saying that every flight will be the same.

Yep, you may see me on the track, perhaps lost, perhaps confused, but having a great time.

Cheers

Ray
FollowupID: 693157

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 21:28

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 21:28
Those are interesting dollar figures Ray.

Only yesterday we decided not to go to William Creek for a WrightsAir flight because their website had a 60 minute flight listed at $440 per person.

I figured I could look at the photos, like yours, on EO and save $880.

Or use that money for a return flight to Bali with a week in a hotel.

$440 per person is just too much. If it is actually less than that, then they are losing business because of the figures on their website.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 693230

Follow Up By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 21:50

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 21:50
Hi Gonebush

Yep, we were pretty happy with the price and the flight, booked at the General Store/Bakery in Marree, just had a look at their website, I can see what your saying about price from William Creek, perhaps they have put price up to take advantage of holiday times . .

Cheers

FollowupID: 693233

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:57

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:57
Great pic's mate,we were up there with Stephen and Fiona just before the June long week end and just could'nt believe the amount of water that was there.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 422756

Follow Up By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 13:48

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 13:48
Hi Greendog

Yep, special, just awsome.

Cheers

FollowupID: 693166

Sponsored Links