Simpson desert trip

All packed ready to leave at 6am 3/07/2010 for 2 trip to Simpson Desert I will update you all when I return.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 23:28

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 23:28
i just got back from there late this arvo. it was all very easy going and looks nothing like a desert at all out there.
AnswerID: 422841

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:06

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:06
Hi rumpig
Which tracks did you take over the desert and what about the detours around Big Red? There have been a few pictures lately and Big Red seems to be surrounded by water. You will have to give a full run down and some pictures.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 693244

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 15:28

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 15:28
coming from the west to the east , we took the French Line until we turned right into Colsons Track. followed that and turned right onto the WAA line before turning left onto the Rig Road. Rig Road was alot slower going then previous tracks but not hard, just alot more humps and bumps to have to drive over, so alot slower going. out to The Lonely Gum Tree (which doesn't look lonely with all that vegetation out there) before heading straight up to the French Line again (will need to look up that tracks name sorry, runs parrallel with Knolls but to the west of it). wanted to do Knolls track but we were behind schedule time wise and needed to make up some time. French Line to Poeppel Cnr where the salt pan on the west side still has water in it and looks spectacular, can cross without a detour though which is good. plenty of water also on eastern salt pan at Poepple Cnr, follow along side that till you get onto QAA line and onto Eyre Creek bypass. Northern bypass tracks were very good condition either side of creek and water was lucky to be 400mm deep and an easy crossing.
Big Red still has water either side and has detours. western side will be a couple weeks and probably be dried up and crossable i reckon. i walked 3/4 of the way across the water and most was ankle deep, one section 3/4 of way up to my knee. detour left or right sides are short to get around that water.
eastern side has alot of water still and there will be detour for quite a while yet. detour track is slow going and bumpy, but not hard to do. adds about 1/2 hr to an hour to your trip depending on how fast you wanted to drive it and how much oncoming traffic you encounter.
li'd ove to post pics but have no memory left on our computer at the moment. i haven't even downloaded and looked at the pics on our camera yet myself, when i do i'll post some up.
cheers
RP
FollowupID: 693298

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 18:08

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 18:08
Hi RP
Thanks for that, sounds like you had a great time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 693322

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 03:22

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 03:22
Vernp
have a safe trip

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 422847

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:13

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:13
Hi Vernp
I have probably missed you, but gave a great trip and see the desert that is not seen on your usual trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 422850

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 21:00

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 21:00
Thanks for the post, helps us with our planning for 23rd July departure.

Was a bit worried about eyre creek especially as we have Suzi with us and not a lot of clearance.

Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422921

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:35

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:35
a few pics from about 4 or 5 days ago... hope this works...lol

Eyre creek on the QAA Line...Northern bypass used to detour this

Crossing Eyre Creek at Northern Bypass... a mates Hilux with 2" lift pictured

Looking East towards Big Red

Looking East from ontop of Little Red

Looking West from ontop of Big Red

Looking East from ontop of Big Red

AnswerID: 422962

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:37

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:37
woops put wrong pic up for Little Red shot...both arer same from ontop of Big Red
FollowupID: 693358

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:39

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:39
this should have been the Little Red pic...

AnswerID: 422964

Sponsored Links