dual cab durability

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:18
ThreadID: 79821 Views:5025 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

how do current dual cabs( hilux and navara) handle a lot of outback touring. I have a patrol currently and was thinking a ute would be more practical with the family. i still require something reliable and durable, year after year. will they do the job?? cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:43

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:43
Faced with the same dilemma I had a dual cab conversion done on my Patrol wagon (Check out profile pics). The cost was about the same as changing over to a Hilux/Navara and I got to keep all my accessories etc. IMHO the utes are not in the same category as the Patrol in the toughness dept from what I have seen and heard but it depends what you do with it I suppose.

OBT
AnswerID: 422900

Reply By: Joe n Mel - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 19:24

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 19:24
We went through it...... started with a dual cab Mazda with 1 bubs, went to 2 kids then 3 and getting bigger.....
After looking around at every single one on the market we could not find one that had any reasonable leg and head room in the rear, we ended up getting a 96 HZJ75 with a dual cab conversion, our girl (8) could stand up in the back and head not hit the roof, room for 3 adults in the back seat and it also has a drop side tray ...... but still a very rugged reliable off road ute ...
The "Dual cab" is aimed at the MID range market and is built as such, it is not as strong as the bigger units like the Patrol and none offer any decent room in the rear seats, 2 kids at a max and under 7-8y olds only .....
Some nice 80's and 100's converted out there...
AnswerID: 422910

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 19:33

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 19:33
I'll third the recommendation of getting your wagon chopped :))

There is plenty of them out there now so don't be shy. The amount of room you will lose by going to a Factory dual cab will be huge.

I am glad I did it and I am sure you will be as well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422912

Reply By: Madfisher - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 09:56

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 09:56
I would also be worried about getting crook fuel in a common rail motor. One of our work d4ds is up for a $10000 repair due to water and algae problems.
The older diesels are much better in this regard.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 422958

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 14:28

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 14:28
I wonder if some of you folks have done a close up and personal with a modern dual cab in so far as space is concerned. I went from a GU wagon to a D40 Navara dual cab. Not only does the D40 have a bigger footprint than my GU (ie it takes up more room in my garage), it also has more room in the cabin. I use the back seat when I have the grand kids along but when it's just me and the bride these seats are folded up flat against the back wall giving us even more storage. I've built out the back with a storage unit, 70ltr water tank and 2x aux batteries.....and this too gives me much more room than I had in the GU.

I did consider chopping the GU...but then >$10K later I'd still have a 10 year old car.

Methinks also that people worry too much about such things as getting water in the fuel and this devasting a common rail engine....I've seen a number of old banger technology diesels end up in the graveyard with water contamination problems. I think the only real solution for both older diesels and more modern variants is to install a quality water trap upstream of the engine fuel filter.

My thoughts only.
AnswerID: 422984

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 17:04

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 17:04
G'day Patrol22,

I had a good look at a D40 and they are a good option but the rear seat is the problem if you have teenagers coming out of a Patrol. In order to get the most out of these conversions you also need to do a chassis stretch, mine was 600MM and I have a 2Mx2M tray. I can assure you, the footprint of this rig will put the D40 in the shade no worries!

I'm not sure I would have invested the money in a 10 year old vehicle either, mine was 4 years old owned by me since new, I plan to keep it until it is 10 and reckon I will get at least 1/2 my conversion cost back after that time. I have seen them done from new but I'm not sure who covers the warranty on that one!

Capability/ruggedness of what you end up with is a different story too but that depends of course on what your needs are.

Agree with you on the fuel issue too.

OBT

FollowupID: 693402

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 17:22

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 17:22
Yeah another 600mm would've improved the old GU footprint all right but probably wouldn't fitted in my garage either :-) I can see what you mean with teenagers....I don't have that to worry about any more. I've also invested in a fair amount of aftermarket stuff so the D40 is a comfortable tourer for me and herself. If you have a few spare minutes you can see what I've done at this link: Patrol 22's D40
FollowupID: 693405

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 17:45

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 17:45
Nice rig and great action shots. Whos' is that remote head CB you have there (I assume that is what it is), looking for something like that for my new Disco?

OBT
FollowupID: 693413

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 18:58

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 18:58
OBT - the CB is an iCom 440 - works good for me without additional speakers and I wear hearing aids.
FollowupID: 693425

Follow Up By: molzy - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:38

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:38
nice rig patrol 22. what would your average consumption be on a trip loaded. do you find it more comfortable but less capable than the patrol. cheers
FollowupID: 693509

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 19:34

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 19:34
Molzy - the D40 is potentially less capable than my old GU but I don't tend to do too much extreme stuff and as yet I haven't noticed too much difference in that regard. Fuel consumption varies but a good indicator is an almost 20,000km trip I did this time last year - Canberra-Perth (and the SW of WA) via the Nullarbor then up to Steep Point and across into the Pilbara before heading to Exmouth and then tracking east via Mable Bar, Carawine Gorge, Punmu, Well 33, down the Gary, Gunbarrel and Heather Highways, then the Great Central Road to Alice. A weeks rest and then across the Simpson and a visit to the Corner Country before heading to Cape Byron and then up to Hervey Bay and back to Canberra. On this trip fully laden with all the gear for a 10 week trip it returned 14.4 ltrs/100km. The vehicle is auto and carries a lot of extra weight with full underbody plates, steel bar, winch, 160ltr fuel tank, etc etc etc.
I was pretty happy with that return and I certainly didn't drive like Miss Daisy. I travelled in the company of a 105 cruiser and a Holden Frontera for all of the trip and a 120 Prado joined us for the Simpson. I didn't notice that I was less capable on this journey than any of the others. The surprise package was the Frontera.....I will never rubbish one of these little beast again - an excellent performer in my view.
FollowupID: 693693

Sponsored Links