Snatch Strap recall

Submitted: Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 12:13
ThreadID: 79866 Views:4105 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Anyone in Qld bought one of these from Aldi recently?

Recent Recalls

As the page suggests it is not a safety issue as such, just the instructions missing. You can either get the instructions or get a refund, your choice.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:05

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:05
I'd love to see what the safety information is. Maybe it says not to be used on a vehicle bigger then a Mini. Let alone a 3T Patrol or Toyota. I just cannot trust cheap shops to sell quality stuff.

Like they say "You get what you pay for".

Phil
AnswerID: 423078

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:22

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:22
If they comply with the relevant Aust Standards then it's good enough for me. One of the 4WD mags did a test on straps and found the old SuperCrapAuto to be better then the ARB examples.

I think the saying "You get what you pay for" is just an excuse for being ignorant as to what else is available out there.
FollowupID: 693491

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 15:13

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 15:13
Yeah That's fine if they comply. Its a free world.

I find it strange that some people purchased them without knowing if they would be suitable for their car or not. That would worry me.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 693500

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:13

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:13
In that case, it's the 'people' that are a worry, not necessarily the product

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 693503

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:28

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:28
Any Youtube is full of them

Phil
FollowupID: 693505

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:56

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:56
vk1dx

The ALDI straps complied with Australian Standards including SWL capacity, what it didn't have is the secondary labeling required in Queensland

Snatch Strap usage (click here)

Office of Best Practice Regulation Reference No. 11399. This instructs the owner on the correct usage and dangers of using a snatch strap.
This is not complusory in the other states, (yet).

By the way my brand new ARB snatch strap does not have these instructions either and technically cannot be sold in Queensland without them.

FollowupID: 693514

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 19:24

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 19:24
Hi Tony

That link on snatch strap usage just gives you a bunch of "not do's". Useless as far as how to use one.

Neither does Ironman put "how to use" instructions on theirs. I just checked my spare kit. Its too cold to check the ARB kit in the car. This only goes to show that anyone going "outback" should do a 4WD course because the kit does not have instructions on it.Well come to think of it does a shovel?? Nope.

Now don't let me loose on that topic.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 693534

Follow Up By: OREJAP - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 19:34

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 19:34
Thank goodness we are all permitted to fill our vehicles at servos,unleaded,diesel &LPG all being accessed by the untrained!!! No safety goggles, safety vests etc.....etc...Oh but you must take your Gerry Cans off the van or trailer for fear of static electricity....My comments although true are tongue in cheek
FollowupID: 693538

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 19:47

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 19:47
Orejap

Do I get the impression you are criticising my opinion that WE should all do some 4WD training. Which should include recovery and in particular snatch strap use including both practical and theory lessons.

BTW; Our club's senior 4WD trainer just got an OAM for his training.

Phil
FollowupID: 693541

Follow Up By: OREJAP - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 21:46

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 21:46
No I am not inferring that at all. My comments were a "throw away line" as to how we are not permitted to do one thing yet a blind (Govt. authority) eye is turned to other things. I have tried over the years to assist people that have been involved with incidents using 4WD's. I believe there are 3 types of people on God's earth. They are in three groups. The first group are happy & grateful for help & offer their thanks. The second group, whilst asking for assistance but do it my/our way & don't say thank you or can we pay for the equipment that broke in trying to help us. And lastly the 3rd group who just drive pass & really don't give a BLEEP. I believe we are over regulated & sadly this is the state of our world. Some people are keen to learn & wish to know all about their 4WD and join clubs to be instructed by people like your highly dedicated & decorated colleague. Some people like a good mate of mine insists he knows how his Nissan works yet constantly gets bogged & becomes frustrated because he is all bluff & Bull Bleep. Years ago I asked a group of fellow MICA Paramedics (Whilst I was lecturing on a CPR topic) how many of their wives,partners & children knew CPR. Out of about 30 one guy put his hand up he had actually taken the time to teach his partner. So in being taught how to recover a vehicle,tyre pressures,use of a s/strap & general tread lightly 4WD manners should be a priority.
FollowupID: 693566

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 22:27

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 22:27
That's fine. I wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask. Please don't take offence.

As far as helping recovery I must admit that I feel like driving right past myself some times. But . . . . I don't. I was reading a blog about the latest goings on at Gunshot and I felt for the author. They got hung up for hours helping the egotistical mugs who just "had to have a go". We will be up there soon and I fell like covering my winch or not even going near Gunshot.

Well lets see how I feel at the time.

I did enjoy in 1979 pulling an old land rover out of a bog with my Kingswood. And it was right next to the camping ground also. What a blast the bloke got. Ha.

Cheers
FollowupID: 693570

Reply By: dazren - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 21:14

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 21:14
RE - SNATCHTRAPS FROM 'ALDI'
COMING FROM A 30 YEAR BACKGROUND OF 'IMPORTED GOODS'
A LOT OF DIFFERENT PRODUCTS BEING IMPORTED IN AUSTRALIA ALL COME FROM SAME FACTORY, SAME PRODUCT, SAME QUALITY, SAME PRICE,
SOME COMPANYS BRING THEM IN AND MAKE THREE TIMES THE PRICE !!!
THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SELL THE CHEAP STUFF !!!
OTHER COMPANIES BRING THE SAME PRODUCT IN AND SELL IT FOR 10 TIMES THE PRICE, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SELL THE GOOD STUFF !!!!
but never mind you do get what you pay for !!! However what are you paying for !!!!! Regards dazren
AnswerID: 423162

Follow Up By: OREJAP - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 21:53

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 21:53
Yes you are right. Wasn't there a company (Aussie) years ago that got caught cutting off the "Made in China " labels and had made in Australia labels sown on!! Still I suppose there are vehicles like the Navara that have Nissan all over them yet are made in Thailand & Spain!!! Is it because not made in Japan they are inferior....same $$$$ no cheap stuff there for the consumer!!!
FollowupID: 693568

Sponsored Links