gu vibration

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:58
ThreadID: 7989 Views:1325 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Left a post here a couple of weeks ago about 2 vibrations in my GU 3.0 td. Been to Nissan and was told that the diff needed new oil [valvaline 140] because it should be chanded every 40.000 ks and mine has done 79.000ks its due. Also if you dont do much off road stuff then oil dose not get into the areas of the diff that it needs to because your not working it. Fair enough problem solved.The other problem with the engine/pedal vibration was not solved. He said he has had other 3.0 tds come in with the same vibration and they have tried to locate it but with no luck. He reckons that it maybe exhaust resination? Any experts out there willing to explain this? Also i have driven newer patrols like mine with the same vibration but not as bad.I would like to here from other 3.0 td owners that maybe have this problem. Its like someone holding a vibrator against the pedal mainly when your going slow. Its not there when its under load. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:17

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:17
'Also if you dont do much off road stuff then oil dose not get into the areas of the diff that it needs to because your not working it.'

john...I find that statement hard to believe. I that what Nissan told you?

If the oil does not get to all places in the diff then there is something drastically wrong with the system. I can believe that the oil loses viscosity and hence the vibration. At least you have solved that problem.

Cheers,
Willie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 34647

Follow Up By: Foss - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:56

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:56
Yup, I agree

If oil wasn't getting into all those places you wouldn't have to worry about the vibration at all because you would have a new diff to replace the blown up one.

If the service manager really said this you should take your patrol somewhere else to get it serviced from now on.

Had a 3ltr GU for two years. Can't say I know what the pedal vibration is, sorry I can't help there.

good luck.

Foss.
FollowupID: 25015

Reply By: David N. - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:23

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:23
Couldn't agree more...
You pull enough G's (acceleration, braking & cornering) to get the oil everywhere, and besides, a large percentage of 4WDs never go off road. If someone is stupid enough to make such a suggestion then I would treat everything he says with GREAT suspicion. IMHO
Sorry, though, know of a number of GUs that have no such problems with the vibration (or anything else!!!) so can't help you there. Not helpful I know. Cheers
AnswerID: 34681

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:08

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:08
Hmmm, had a similar problem with our new work ute V6 rodeo (one of many problems!!) it had a chronic diff shudder and was basically operating as a fully locked diff most of the time, numerous dealer visits later, still no joy. So i took a wander down the warehouse here at work and grabbed some fully synthetic 75 / 140 lsd oil and changed it myself. Well at 8900 km the diff oil was filthy black with heaps of iron and brass content visible. Drove the ute about 10km and hey presto problem solved, now smooth as, and quiet as a mouse. As a matter of interest i submitted a sample of the old oil to our lab for anaylasis and they found that as well as the high contamination present, they couldn't identify the viscosity of the oil, their best guess was that it a blend of two or more types and grades of oil. I have asked the manufacturer of said vehicle to please explain why the oil fitted was not as per the service schedule and specs.. Still Waiting (surprise surprise)

Lesson one do not take their word for the quality of the lubes they use. and change diff oils at 40 / 50 km .

As for the vibe, if it is the exhaust pulsing with the torque of the engine, get down to a good exhaust shop and get a high quality flex joint fitted as far forward in the pipe as you can. and check the condition of the hangar rubbers.. cheers Brad.Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 34688

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:35

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:35
John

Have you had the automatic belt pre-tensioner checked??? This could be your problem at low revs if its not working properly.

Has been a known problem and will be fixed under warranty.

cheers
AnswerID: 34790

Sponsored Links