Old Eyers Hwy - Nullabor to Border Village

Hi,

Anybody got any recent info on the Old Eyre Hwy between Nullabor Roadhouse & Border Village. Having travelled the bitumen many times I am looking for something a bit different. Had a look at Trek Notes but nothing in there about it.
Mainly interested conditions & access from either end. Hema shows a few features along the way.
Have been to Koonalda Cave may years ago but only up from the bitumen. Can't remember much about it though.

Thanks............... PMK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Whitey1 - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 16:25

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 16:25
Hi there PMK,
We travelled that stretch in May just to get off the highway. Its in pretty good nick still and we sat on about 50 - 60kmh a lot of the way(towing a camper). Called into Koonalda homestead and cave for a look. Not a lot to see along there except wombat holes and old tanks. But then theres not much to see on the main highway either. About 10km before you get to border village turn north off the old highway up a track that goes past Warbla Cave and you will bypass the checkpoint and come into Eucla from the NW past Weebubbie Cave which is well worth a look(its huge!) That track is called The Old Coach Road but I'm not sure why(the one running E W). Another good track runs from Madura S to Eyre. There is a good book on the Nullabor by Ron Moon that shows a lot of tracks and camping spots.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 423479

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 18:14

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 18:14
Thanks for the reply,
Sounds all good to me I like "wombat holes & old Tanks" I have been to Weebubbie cave before also but I came up from Eucla. Thier the sort of things I like to see on these trips.
Sounds like the road is okj then so decisions made to go that way.
If time allows I'll have a look at the Madura stretch on the way also.
Once again thatnks for the input.
PMK
FollowupID: 693938

Reply By: wilco318 - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 14:34

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 14:34
Hi

I am also interested in this section of the eye hwy. Can someone provide a bit more information about it. And also a bit of info about Kooalda would be great.
AnswerID: 423576

Follow Up By: Whitey1 - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 09:21

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 09:21
Have a look at this. Really good book
www.exploroz.com/Shop/Books/Moon/Across_the_Bight_and_Nullarbor.aspx
FollowupID: 694196

Sponsored Links