OTT - Cape York

Well, hubby and I have just got back from the Cape. Had a great and relaxing 3 weeks. We did the OTT but must say we were dissappointed. we expected a harder terrain and drive. We are now thinking that maybe it is because of previous experience as we have done a lot of bush driving as we lived on many cattle stations. We thought that it was like driving on a station road. We enjoyed the fact of seeing parts of Australia that we hadn't been to before. The history and interesting facts. So the next big thing for us is the Simpson as this is different terrain to what we are used too.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kemp family 28yrs 3- Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 21:05

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 21:05
Hi guys we are heading up there in our 96 pajero over the next few weeks..
+ we have our 3 kids..

Is it a trip we can do by our self or do we need to go with others...

can you get up to the top we heard reports of roads not being open
AnswerID: 423514

Follow Up By: CJ - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 21:21

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 21:21
Kemp

I am not having a go at you but I can't believe how gullable people can be with reports that roads are closed. It is a bloody highway up there, yet every year its the same BS story.

Back to your question, I assume you are asking about the OTT. If you have some 4wd experience, common sense and walk all creeks you will be fine. If you get to a creek that you have doubt, wait for another car to see what they are doing and cross with them so they can help you if need be. This is only at three crossings - Palm, Gunshot (don't attempt alone) and Nolans. The rest is ok

I guarentee your kids will enjoy the adventure. Done it with ours and they want more.

Cheers

CJ
FollowupID: 693972

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 22:05

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 22:05
"do we need to go with others..."???

Don't worry, you will be with others ..... lots of OTHERS!!! At this time it is like Bourke Street.

As CJ says above, at the crossings just watch others and follow their path and heed their advice.

But you can get into serious trouble at Gunshot. My advice is to approach it to watch the mad egoists but then bypass it.

We got back a week ago and all roads were open then except the CREB track.

Check current road reports here. and have a great trip.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 693978

Follow Up By: seven - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 07:43

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 07:43
Folks,
go and have a great time with your family, okay the roads may not be macho for some but when the roads are good its a great chance to see the best parts of Australia, as in other threads be careful on the rivers, take your time and you and your vehicle will have no problem

enjoy Seven
FollowupID: 693995

Follow Up By: becboo68 - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:01

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:01
Yes Kemp family, ENJOY!!! Consider it as an adventure. The good the bad the lot!

We do this with our 8yr old son so as to get him out of the town stuff. We don't take any electronic gadgets for him at all. We take a pack of cards and books. He gets to use the video camera and has a ball. We always have a good laugh at the end as there are invariably the funnies.

The OTT is easier if you go South to North. We went north to south. There are camping spots along it and some you can swim at. A good spot to stop at the northern end is Nolans brook. Fantastic for big and little kids and the water tastes sweet! We stayed there for a few days.

Like I said before, Enjoy it as it is the adventure that counts. And your kids will remember it. We have a 22yr and a 20 yr daughters as well which we did similar things with and they remember the trips and the highlights. They have grown up into very competent women. So enjoy your time up there
FollowupID: 694213

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 22:03

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 22:03
"we were dissappointed. we expected a harder terrain"
I've always said if you joined all the sections together that really needed 4 wheel drive engaged to get to the Cape via the OTT, it would be lucky to be over 1 km long. Mostly it's just a long rough road & the fact stock Subaru's and even Mini Mokes have done the trip says something about how difficult it really is.
If you were dissapointed with the tracks then I can only suggest you failed to take the many side trips to the coast which is where we often found the more challenging driving.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 423520

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 08:27

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 08:27
The OTL is what people make of it, and in many cases it is an experience that is boosted by a little ego and/or testosterone. Speaking with several women on the rougher sections, they didn't want to be there and the trip was a "boys trip" with their mates. This is not to say that this is the case for everyone, however you can see it when driving.

The vehicle numbers heading north, and many probably attempting parts of the OTL has been increasing at a large rate. Information given to me indicates that 3600 vehicles travelled north in June alone, up from 400 in previous years. Yearly numbers are of an altime high i believe. This has been happening for some time now with the increases likely to change the legend of the trip :)

I'm sure that the story and legend of an area gets larger the further South one heads LOL Not knocking the trip, just that it is what we make of it. Some days it may seem easy, yet others with a bit of rain or early in the season it may be more of a challenge.

We enjoyed the trip for many reasons inparticular the side trips, with the kids loving the whole trip.

The dissapointing aspect for our family (2 Adults, 2 kids 4+6) was the lack of aboriginal culture/history/experience found in this area and to the north, however that is for another thread ;)

Andrew
AnswerID: 423541

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:07

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:07
Slideshow '09.

Video clip, Gunshot.

Video clip Cockatoo Creek.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 423595

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:09

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:09
Whoops, wrong first one..........
Here is the slide show..........

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 694066

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:17

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:17
Peter,

Dare you to do the same line in Gunshot again LOL (BTW that's a pretty steep wall at the end after the swim). Amazing how much erosion happens in a short period of time.

Andrew
FollowupID: 694068

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 17:46

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 17:46
Yes Andrew, you are quite right........it is clear that many of these entries and exits change quite dramatically from year to year and if people who make enquiries (or give advise) just understand that much it will be a good thing.
The best advise is always "go and have a look for yourself".

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 694137

Sponsored Links