Spare tyre no.

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 09:56
ThreadID: 79969 Views:2852 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,i'm planing a trip in September. Adelaide,Birdsville,Inaminka,Adelaide. Towing a tandem poptop. Car and caravan have same rims and tyres 32x11.5x15. How many spares would you recomend? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skippype - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:39

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:39
2 absolute minimum.
AnswerID: 423558

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:01

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:01
X2 what Skippype said, plus a tyre plug repair kit and learn how to use it (it's quite easy really).
we just returned from out that way and had one vehicle get 2 punctures in one day (i suspect tyre pressure was to blame though) aswell as another get one flat on The Old Ghan Line, though this vehicle was running some fairly worn tyres also.
i and the other 5 vehicles completed the trip without a tyre drama, though we all had 2 spares each with us just incase.
FollowupID: 694010

Follow Up By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:07

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:07
Gday Hoffy

As above, would ensure that you have light truck spec, tyre pressures, watch your speed, read the road (watch for sharp gibbers pointing up) and all should be good.

If going via Cooper Creek, refer to previous posts by StephenL from Claire re the punt.

Cheers

FollowupID: 694012

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:34

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:34
Agree with the 2 pares and repair kit, also make sure that you leave home with newish tyres from one of the major brands. I have had a good run out of Bridgestone Light Truck tyres.
Regards
Geoff
FollowupID: 694018

Reply By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 12:02

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 12:02
G'day, a couple of tubes the right size are good, takes up little room, can be a lifesaver
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 423564

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 14:02

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 14:02
As you have interchangeable wheels and tyres between your vehicle and van, you already have two spares and shouldn't need any more.

If the existing wheels are tubeless, a plug style repair kit is an invaluable investment and will allow you to repair most punctures without taking the tyre off the rim.

A tube of the right size is a further form of "protection".

I carry a Tyreplyers kit, a plug repair kit and a tube that will fit inside the tubeless tyre if necessary.
The only "puncture" I have experienced was a completely destroyed tyre with large holes in the sidewall that no plug kit or tube would fix.
Anyway, if you have the basics as identified above, you won't need anything:-)
It's all a matter of Murphy's Law.

One other piece of advice I will offer and it has nothing to do with punctures.
Ensure you have very good stoneguard protection when towing. A tiny stone flicked up and bouncing off the A-frame of the poptop can destroy your rear windscreen and put a dampener on your enjoyable trip. You may also experience major stone chips to the front of your van unless you prepare.

A stoneguard mounted on the A-frame of the van with flaps underneath will help protect the van and limit the chance of damage to the rear window.
To best protect the rear window, a rear screen saver, or even taping up the rear window with cardboard is a very wise form of protection.

There is a section on the northern part of the Birdsville track that begs you to try your luck without this type of preparation. (I know cause it's happened to me)

I now have a stoneguard on the A-frame of my camper and also mount an exaggerated mudflap on the vehicle behind the wheels, to restrict stones, etc., from being spat out the back.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 423574

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 17:56

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 17:56
Hi Hoffy, if you opt for a tyre plug repair kit be aware that you will also need to carry a means to re-inflate the tyre. Either a compressor or a hand or foot pump if you like exercise.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 694060

Sponsored Links