5th wheel conversion

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 17:39
ThreadID: 79997 Views:3346 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
looking at converting my van to a 5th wheeler, does anyone know of a company that does this or where i could get some info ?

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 20:50

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 20:50
Hi...that's an interesting question ..I think if you want replies, maybe say where you are and what size/make of van?. Also I'm fascinated..as to get the towing benefits of a 5th wheeler you may relocate the axles to the rear. I think my biggest query is why would you want to do it to a caravan.Are you thinking of chopping the front lower portion of the van to fit the turn table under the front of the van or are you anticipating fitting it to the existing drawbar as a gooseneck type arrangement?
Cheers G
AnswerID: 423696

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 21:28

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 21:28
I am doing something like that right now, but I have a large truck camper to start with and it has already the front section for a goose neck. I will extend the rear and it will stay a "Slide On-Camper" but not on the rear of the truck but on a goose neck flat bed trailer. The camper is then just a load and not an integrated part of the trailer as it is now just a load and not an integrated part of the truck.

I have finished my floor plan and measurements and am now modeling the chassis in Solidworks. Double box chassis with twin wheel airbag independent suspension.
I plan on having around 900-1200 kg on the bed (my tow vehicle has 2t payload) and 2.8 - 3.2 t on the 4 wheels when fully loaded. It is only 2.90 high unlike the American trailers and has a rear garage for motorbike and push bikes and other things.

The trailer will be registered as a flatbed cargo trailer. ATM is 4.2t and overall length of the trailer is 30' with 6' above the truck bed. I am not using a 5th wheel coupling (too many disadvantages). A goose neck (75mm ball) is a lot better in many ways.

I use a custom suspension which can take my 8 lug dually rims that I can use the same wheels on the truck as well as on the trailer.

The chassis is rather simple to build and registration is just as simple. Have done it before.

Let me know if you want more info.
good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 423703

Sponsored Links