Great Central Road conditions - muddy?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:18
ThreadID: 80016 Views:3633 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone travelled the GCR in recent days?
I'm about to attack it on Wed, heading from the West, and it seems that there's been a bit of rain about there since EO's report (8th July).
cheers,
Gerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:05

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:05
Sorry mate cant really help much.
They were grading the NT side a couple of months back but haven't heard anything since the rain.........
I'm hopefully heading across that way soon ,so would be interested to hear how you go.......

Cheers
AnswerID: 423762

Reply By: Kanga1 - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:12

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:12
Hi Gerry, give Andrew or Susan a buzz on 9037 1108 they will know if there is anything to worry about on the GCR. Regards, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 423763

Reply By: Member - ken b (QLD) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:15

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:15
hi gerry. its two days since we arrived in alice springs,after travelling the gcr. it rained all day here in alice yesterday,but today is fine and sunny.laverton to tjukayirla roadhouse,was corrugated,in a few places.tjukayirla roadhouse to warburton was corrugatedin a few places. the road around docker river,on the n.t.side was "badly" corrugated,for the first 100 kilometres . then just rough,till you get to the start of the bituman. hope this helps you ken.
AnswerID: 423776

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:15

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:15
Hi Gerry
Last year when we travelled it, we struck rain all the way back from Warburton to Giles. Not real heavy rain, enough to make you use your wipers every few minutes and it was fine. Next morning not a cloud in the sky, but mega large puddles on the side of the road most of the way to Docker River. The same say we had light showers, Docker River had 35mm of rain.

With a little wind and fine weather, the road dries out quickly. If it was bucketing down, I would head for high ground and wait it out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 423791

Follow Up By: Mhudo - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:01

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:01
We have just come across to Queensland and were rained in on the Donohue and Plenty Highway. The WA section is deluxe from Leonora through to Warrukuna. After that over to Docker River up to Katja Tala (The Olgas), it was very corrugated. You just have to go steady. The drive was very good prior to that section we averaged 90 - 100 kmph.

Campsites along the way, the best ones we found were the main roads sites. The work crews have put in a little siding to turn around off the road. Just keep your eye out and you find them. There are no other vehicles using these. The campsites mentioned in Camps 5 are always full. We camped all the way along, lit the fire and enjoyed the silence, the dingos howling, many birds and great sunrise and sunsets.

Do not drive into the dirt especially once you get into NT and if going to Qld do not go off the track, the black is soil is a nightmare.

It was good value going over. Just allow time and it is a long drive. Mark
FollowupID: 694316

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:29

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:29
Came into Laverton on Friday off the Yarmarni White Cliff Rd. When we got into Laverton we were told that all roads east out of Laverton were closed until further notice. if the GCR was anything like the White cliff Rd you will be in for a very wet, slippery and boggy time.

Give the Laverton Shire a call on 9031 1202.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 423793

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:16

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:16
Just spoke to Laverton Shire & the GCR is currently open again.
Apparently when it rained the road was closed to prevent any damage.
So at this stage it's open & in good nick........ But it depends on the weather, so who knows.
I will be that way Wednesday Week so hope it's all ok then too!
PMK
FollowupID: 694234

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:20

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:20
Thanks all, esp for the contacts! There's been no rain for a couple of days up till this morning - here's hoping it stays that way, and dries out by Wed!
Now if I can just cope with those freezing nights out there...
cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 423801

Sponsored Links