12 Pin Plugs for CT's and Caravans

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:00
ThreadID: 80061 Views:4673 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We will be picking the new van shortly and it has a 12 Pin Flat Plug, I got the 12 Pin Flat receiver installed today, and also had the Nissan Patrol Tail Lights, / Stop Lights fitted with bulbs instead of being blanks, most Patrol owners would know what i'm talking about,
Question, *How popular are 12 pin plugs instead of 7 pin plugs?.
*How come Nissan Patrols have blanks in the Tail Lights and only have them on the Bumper Bar?.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:34

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:34
12 pin flats are common as they are a std 7 plus the extra h/duty pins needed to take the extra items,power,charge,etc, but BEWARE I have never found a common wiring of the extra pins, The vehicle (Female) 12 pin plug can still take a standard 7 pin (Male)Trailer plug as well. The reason the lights are blanked is to meet the ADR requirements the lights are to be no more than x off the ground that's why they are fitted in the bumper in Aust, a load of crap when you compare it with a Volvo wagon who's lights are higher in the side back pillars & still in rego in Aust. also be aware that pending how big a van & type of lights & how many lights (extra car tail lights as well) with extra load can cause problems but can be easily fixed by fitting LED lights
good luck
AnswerID: 423939

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:51

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:51
The lights are fitted in the bumper because of the rear mounted spare tyre
It has nothing to do with height
It is to do with the viewing angles and the wheel blocking them.
I had to fit bumper lights in my 100 ser when I fitted a Kaymar wheel carrier

See Prados and other vehicles with them mounted in the rear pillars

100 ser tail lights are the same height as Patrols.

A LARGE 7 pin setup will take more current than a piddly little 7 or 12 pin setup

Far better to have a 7 pin large and an Anderson plug for Auxilaries.

My new van had a 12 pin and I biffed it and put the above in.

FollowupID: 694386

Follow Up By: Roach"ee" - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:52
Vince, I think the reason the tail lights are blanked out is more to do with the angle they can be viewed at from side to side. Because the Patrol has a rear-mounted spare tyre, it is not possible to see the driver's side tail light assembly (ie: the one that is now blank), from a certain angle if you are standing on the passenger's side. Probably the same thing for the opposite side too, but wouldn't be quite as bad, due to the spare tyre being on the driver's side.

Because of this, Nissan had to make special provision by altering the corner bumper bar/s so that they could fit tail/indicator lights which COULD be seen from side angles.

The silly thing is that they (Nissan) decided to save a few cents by making the original tail lights into "blanks" instead of still providing the original lights (which you can buy on ebay and retro-fit).

Take a look at a Toyota Prado, which has the same rear set-up to a Patrol. Toyota have left the original tail lights in place, but have had to also add the lower-mounted bumper bar lights to conform with our ADRs.

I agree with your comments about the 12 pin plugs. I have one on the Ultimate and only use a couple of the larger pins (extra earth plus cable to charge aux batteries.

Roachie
FollowupID: 694387

Follow Up By: Roach"ee" - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:53
Graham....SNAP.... hahaha you beat by a minute because i type too much and too slow....hahaha
FollowupID: 694388

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:58

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:58
....and me too

FollowupID: 694389

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 20:11
Hi All

The Auto Sparky told me today that number 9 pin is used for 6mm cable direct to van fridge, and number 10 pin was the large earth, the Anderson Plug goes direct to the vans batteries, he also put in an Ignition Switch Isolator.

Thanks All for your input.
FollowupID: 694391

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 20:31

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 20:31
Well my van came with a 6mm wire to supply both the fridge and the batteries HAHAHAHAHA

The van wire from the fridge to the fuse is 6 B & S.??????

So I rewired the fridge and the batteries with 8 B & S to the fridge through 1 Anderson plug all the way from the Aux battery.

They also had a piddly little normal car fuse with about 6mm wire in the middle of this wiring
It now has a 5 AG ex stereo Fuse with the large wires straight in to it.

The batteries I wired with 6 B & S through a 2nd Anderson plug and now it all works fine.
The original tiny wire now just charges the breaksafe when travelling.

Cant beat too much size when wiring that far.

Rest of stuff is through a large 7 pin.

FollowupID: 694395

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:03

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:03
To all, I agree you are properly right on the angle BUT answer this, I fitted a style sided Ute tray to one of my last 4x4 so I could keep the tray (NO SPARE on the back of a ute), it was off a Toyota dyna, I had to fit a step/bar with lights to lower them so the NSW RTA approved engineer would approve it & was told it was due to the height of the lights. It did not have any lift kit it was stock std, just one of our work hacks (& only went to the engineer as vehicle had a engine change)
FollowupID: 694403

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:08
Gidday

if the NSW examiners are like some of those in WA he was probably just making it up as he went along! There seem to be Monday rules, Friday rules, I have had a bad day so I will event some new rules ... and in one case there were rafferty's rules if you had paid enough.

rules and

Cheers
FollowupID: 694406

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:41
Could well be different fo modded vehiclesAm quoting why it was done to new vehicles.

Mods are another can of worms.

FollowupID: 694416

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:52
Gidday

I thought the Patrol had the tail lights in the bumper because of the offset spare on the back rather than the height of the standard lights. Pajeros also had the same (latest miodel with the centre spare uses original lights) and Jacks (also with an offset spare) had the originals wired but still had the lower ones.

It was explained to me that the offset spare meant that both sets of tail lights could not be seen at once from certain angles and distances so the bumper mounted lights had to be fitted. Check it out next time you see one in the car park and it is true.

Lots of cars (Prados, Discos, Volvos are just some) have head high lights but bo spare on the back to block the view

Cheers

Rocco

AnswerID: 423940

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:26

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:26
I have had a 12 pin flat plug on my GU for years now, it was recommended by the Auto Elec because it is simple to use.

Mine is only there for battery charging and works ok. It is quick and simple to use and as long as I keep the camper battery in good nick there are no problem.

However, if the battery gets really low the plug does overheat a bit. The last auto elec who looked at it reconned it was nothing to worry about but I do keep an eye on it. If ever it does get too bad I will simply move the connection across one terminal, there are plenty of spares, but so far I am still on the first one.

Duncs
AnswerID: 423960

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 14:10
With the 12 pin, and depending on what you want to run, you can double up 4 of the pins...2 for pos , 2 for neg and heating issues should disappear !!

The big pins in the 12 pin plug are rated to 35A, so most charging duties won't get that high.....but doubled up you have 70A !!!!! more than a standard anderson plug !!
FollowupID: 694446

Sponsored Links