CapeYork

Hi all

Am currently on the Cape and have travelled from Elim Beach to Coen yesterday. Found the battle camp road through to Laura excellent. We then experienced pretty consistent (50/50) corrugations to Coen on the PDR. Travelled from Coen to Weipa today and after the the first 50 Klm's the road was more than excellent. We are towing a Jayco Eagle Outback and after the first day had some real concerns!!!! No Damage apart from a cut brake cable but dont want it to "fall apart"

We have decided that we will leave the camper at Bramwell station which I have read is a common thing?

Two questions

1. Has anyone any current expereience of the "short cut" from Weipa to Batavia Downs: or should I drive the extra 100'klms that I know is good?

2. Is it at tha Bramwell roadhouse or Bramwell station that I can leave the van. (I will ring them in the morining but any knowledge would be appreciated)

Travelling with three boys 9, 6 , & 2 and having a ball!!!

Thanks

Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 22:57
1. Just went through the other day....it is better than the PDR with roadworks being completed on it. No corrugations and a nice road used by most vehicles heading north from Weipa. After the grid on the southern end, the road widens and is a great drive. You will have no problems with the van on this section even with the good dry river crossing points.

2. Probably either, but give them a ring or drop into the junction cafe and ask the owners. Damn nice toasted sandwiches!

Hope that helps.

Andrew
AnswerID: 423971

Reply By: Ozshooter - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:18

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:18
Hi I was their last week the short cut to Batavia Downs this smooth just graded.We saw 5 or so camper trailers stored at bramwell station.
AnswerID: 423981

Reply By: familyguy - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 09:05

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 09:05
Thanks Guys, Perfect
AnswerID: 423991

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:19

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:19
Hi Shane,
You will find better security for your van at Bramwell station. My opinion from two years ago.
Mike.
AnswerID: 424012

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 20:20

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 20:20
Dont know about this year but Bramwell Stn was closed to tourists when we went up last year. We took our van all the way up on the PDR no problems roads much the same from Bramwell on anyway, so unless your wanting to go via OTL seriously consider taking the van with you.
AnswerID: 424055

Reply By: Busy Bee - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:36

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:36
Went from Weipa to Bamaga a week ago via Batavia. Excellent road, best its ever been. My brother was towing a camper trailer. Most go right through as verified by the numbers at the Seisia camp area. Off road caravans included.
The bypass road is good apart from around 40 km between Capt Billy turnoff and Fruit Bat, corrugated etc. Talked to one of the road workers in Bamaga and he said the EPA wouldn't let them work that section because someone had seen cassowary tracks or something and they can't upset the environment. Easy decision to make from Canberra.
He reckoned Cook Shire which works from Capt Billy south didn't ask, just went ahead anyway but take that with a grain of salt. But the road is a superhighway south of Capt Billy, properly formed roadbase now over the sand that is underneath.
AnswerID: 424156

Reply By: Shawsie - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 15:35

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 15:35
Hi Familyguy,

Went all the way up the Tele track with 2 offroad trailers from Bramwell Junction (from Weipa) with no problems at all. The first 2 crossings look worse than what they really are so don't be put off. The rest of the Tele Track is not difficult and the crossings are easy, even Nolans brook. We even did the Frenchmans with no problems.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Andrew
AnswerID: 424208

Sponsored Links