The current hotmail idiot

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:05
ThreadID: 8007 Views:1540 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone have you seen the posts from the Explore Aus Team latley here is the email account at hotmail exploreausteamdavid@hotmail.com - Some people have way to much time on there hands.

I have baned this address no doubt the peron concerned will come back as someone else - please keep your eyes out and let me know. This is actually the next instance of rubbish from hotmail accounts that I had previously thought about banning hotmail accounts. Still holding out on that one at the moment.

BTW: For all the people who thought the pussy/cat in the bush post deletion was not the right thing to do, I suspect that this rubbish is from the same persons. I guess we took to right action and deleted it when we did. Sorry if you think we were wrong but guess what we have been doing this for a few years now and we know the indicators of idiots and we took the action based on our experience. As I have said before - if you are not happy with our rules here do not post.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:18

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:18
Thank you to all of the people that alerted me to the post appear at 8005 I have emailed you all personally - Thanks again and please just let me know.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 34744

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:19

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:19
G'day David and Michelle,

I have no issue with you deleting posts or banning addresses. Your site is definitely the best 4x4 forum there is as I have been on a few but have left as there were too many idiot posts on them.

We have had some lively discussions here on EO in the past but 99.9% of the time readers and posters show a degree of respect for one another and different points of view.

I have actually met some EO forumites in person and in Victoria there are a number who go out on trips together.

Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged by negative comments on the removal of posts.

Cheers,

WillieWillie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 34746

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:23

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:23
Thanks Willie,

I am not discouraged just disappointed that I have to waste so much time on this. I want to write new things for users and members (in the limited time I have) not have to sit and watch the forum for idiots.

Thanks for the support. Glad you guys are getting together and having a good time that is after all what is is about.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25080

Reply By: Brad - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:47

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:47
Hear, hear Willie,
This is a great 4wd site - keep up the good work ExplorOz.
I'm wondering whether you have problems with other web based addresses (like my yahoo address). I have 3 other commercial email adresses, but sooner publish my free (and therefore easily changed) yahoo address.
Regards,
Brad
AnswerID: 34748

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:59

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:59
Brad,
I understand why people use these addresses that is why I have not yet banned them. Problem is they are just to easy to register and start using so you end up with rubbish such as this. I see hotmail as the worst and if I look in my banned list 99.9% are hotmail. Mind you in 3 years my banned list contains less than 10 entires - not bad really but most are hotmail.

I know that we are a travel site and travellers use hotmail all the time. However my patience will only last so long. I will just see how long it is till the next incident. Mind you this post may even be enough to start someone off.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25083

Follow Up By: KG - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:49

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:49
If you block @hotmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc etc.
where do you stop?
you can't cater to every dodgy webmail svc on the net....
so all you end up doing is blocking legitimate users and the trolls just find yet another dodgy webmail to register with.

having said all that I'm registered with an @hotmail.com addy currently... I did this because when I registered I didn't know exploroz from a bar of soap and didnt want to hand over my real address for circulation to 101 spam lists. If you change the policy i'll re-register with my "normal" addy because I find this forum valuable (love the archive search) and because I now feel confident that exploroz would not sell addresses, send self promoting spam, etc. New users may not be so trusting (no reflection on exploroz just net users healthy mistrust).
my 2cents anyway....

cheers,

KG
FollowupID: 25095

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:48

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:48
It's your site David, so you run it the way you choose.

I'm a happy member, get heaps of good hints and tips, visit it pretty well daily, enjoy the banter from so many of the participants, but acknowledge that there is a "lunatic fringe" who like to try and spoil a good thing. They are everywhere .. on the 'Net, in normal life, and even in Government.

Its your call - and keep up the good work. It is an invaluable site for me.

Jack
No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message. However a
great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 34760

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:55

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:55
Why not ban free email places like bleep mail and Yahoo (except for mine :D)?? Other forums do it.

its too easy to register an account in 10 mins just to annoy......
AnswerID: 34762

Reply By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:02

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:02
Please dont tell me that it is school holiday time again,,,sorry to be cynical but it seems to be the same sort of problem time and time again, Perhaps the solution is to BAN the " freebie " hotmail ect; and only accept posts from previously registered legit addresses,,,, Our Truckster is a bit of a computer wiz, surely he has some thoughts and a possible solution to this ,,,???????
AnswerID: 34763

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:44

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:44
Ah yes but Truckster uses a hotmail address as his primary registered address. The answers to this are not easy. Travellers register hotmail because it is easy and convienent whilst travelling, I do not want to stop this BUT, I am sick of wasting time.

Mrs lyn - Came up with one idea that I am thinking about. We will see what happens.

I was thinking it must be school holidays, however I do not think it is. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25136

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:30

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:30
David,
Your call my man, your site, your choice, great site, enjoy all the goings on, hints and tips etc etc. It would be a pity to loose such a valuable tool. The mutal respect shown for each other and all having a common interest is something great in this day and age. I don't know how Bruce manages to contribute so much to so many forums, on ya Bruce. LolKeep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 34766

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:32

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:32
P.S. the menu on my page is still blank but the link still works so that's good. My work laptop works a treat, can't understand, do you???????Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 25091

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:59

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:59
David And Michelle I find this site very entertaning and informative . But as usual theres a small minority that has be a pain in the ars- . I read that thread and thought what a tosser and just treated it as that and paid no real attention to it.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 34779

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:22

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:22
dont accuse or blame all who dont neccessarily agree with you David.
I might question your methods/rights/factual relevence etc ..up front but I for one wont try and ridicule/abuse via the back door.Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 34783

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:51

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:51
ESKIMO??????? Didn't take you long to change over when the screen tag changes were made.You'l have to change the picture now. Saw a photo of a very cute young girl today that I wouldn't be surprised to see on their Member's page. No prizes for guessing who though.
Perhaps your photo could be of an air-conditioner inside your igloo LOLne cede malis
FollowupID: 25126

Reply By: Hellbelly - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:45

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:45
I'm a member of a fantastic fishing site here in SA. Early on we had problems with idiots and there free accounts and after a few months these accounts were banned....Now having to have a paid account makes it virtually impossible for them (the idiots) to post. If they get another addy its so easy to ban their new one. We've had very few to no problems since. Check out FishSA if your interested. (Am I allowed to do that?)
AnswerID: 34815

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:49

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:49
Yes - I have thought about this however I really do not want to restrict the access to travellers and people who are concerned about us selling the email list or SPAM. We get so much SPAM and crap ourselves that I am I nervous posting my address on various sites. So I try to accept these address and manage the issues that this brings. I am not sure I want to keep doing this however I will again put this issue into the wait and see category.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25139

Reply By: Glenos - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:10

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:10
My suggestion is that David gets a sainthood, he must have the patience of a saint to put up with the morons.

As a side, I too was concerned about spam, so I used an alias email attached to my paid account. That way if I get spammed I can kill the address.

Allso most ISPs allow web-mail access to POP accounts, TPG and bigpond do evan a small bloke in Whyalla SA does. I still check my account from there even after being out of Why-allah for a year. I prefer to use web-mail access to POP rather then hotmail so I don't need to remeber too many passwords.

Glenos
AnswerID: 34840

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:23

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:23
I think David must be a closet Land Rover owner he's so patient. Not because Land Rovers are trying, but because of some of the nutters we have to put up with on forums (not on Exploroz of course!) and on the roads.
Keep up the good work David....... ban everything abusive about Landies, sexually explicit or suggestive, racist or just down right ignorant about anything else.
FollowupID: 25163

Reply By: Member - David - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:36

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:36
Exploroz Team,
I have just paid my membership fees for the second year running.
Why? Because this is THE BEST site. I encourage you to keep on keeping on.
Cheers David S
AnswerID: 34859

Sponsored Links