To recondition or not??

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:08
ThreadID: 8008 Views:2016 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1989 Troopy which has done 320000km.

There is a small amount of rust in it and I have been quoted about $1800 to get this fixed up andpainted etc.

The engine feels a little tired althoughit doesnt blow blach moke but a little white smoke is evident on startup. I cannot see any smpke while driving nor has any been reported by friends that have been following me. The troopy is used to tow a camper and carries everything but the kitchen sink and comes in at 4300kg Aggregate weight.

The rest of the car is basically original and still has the original springs, front diff, gearbox clutch and transfer case. The rear diff was reconditioned 10000km ago and the injectors replace 50000 ago.

Should I get the engine rebuilt, the gear box and transfer re-raced and fit a new radiator and clutch? I estimate this at about $8000

Or should I tip the money into a second hand Troopy and run the risk of not knowing the history and possibly being surprised with a major repair after I have spent 15000 plus the trade inn.

Why cant I just win bloody Powerball??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:24

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:24
If ya low on cash then do the rust and keep on truckin. The white smoke on start up could simply be slightly incorrect pump timing or lazy glow plugs. If it's getting good reports from those that follow you and it's not making weird noises the it will probably do an easy 200 more if you keep changin the oil. Wait till you gotta spend big money and then trade her in. (opinions may vary)
AnswerID: 34747

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:50

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:50
Brett,

Yes that is always a posing question. I cooked my other car up in Queensland and sold it as is to a dealer and rummaged around to pick up the G60 with 350,000 on the clock. I have now done another 105,000 after spending a bit of money on the old truck like doing the engine up($900), LR fuel tank($800), new radiator core($500), new startermotor($200), rear springs reset, new front springs and shocks all round($2000). So far the truck has cost $4850 including the purchase price! I have ongoing work on the truck but I do use it offroad and tow a trailer. I am in the market for a diesel 4by but I can't get myself to sell the 'old dear'.

I think that if you want to get the rust repaired then do so. Your truck is tried and tested and should give you another 250,000 as long as you keep the good servicing up. And as the other post suggests, if you hit a majpr problem then look at updating. The more modern 4bys are nice but their build quality is not the same as the older models.
Cheers,
Willie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 34750

Sponsored Links