Sailing/Boating on Lake Eyre

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 17:12
ThreadID: 80093 Views:4378 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have seen and heard news stories of people taking their sailing boats and tinnies onto Lake Eyre. Does anyone have any idea where they are putting them in?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 17:31

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 17:31
Peter,
We were in Marree the day before the regatta started. Because of the difficulties of launching into Lake Eyre itself, the regatta is deld in a large lake just downstream from the Cooper Ck ferry site. The club had graded a trailer ramp into the water just near the ferry. Certainly, getting a boat in at Halligan Bay would require some effort. Also, the lake is very shallow and this causes problems with the keelboards.
Jon W
AnswerID: 424133

Follow Up By: Member - Peter S (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 17:42

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 17:42
I assume you mean on the Birdsville Track south of Mungerannie which is a long way from Lake Eyre. Did they actually make it to Lake Eyre?

Peter S
FollowupID: 694550

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 18:50

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 18:50
Peter,
The ferry crossing is east of the track on Etadunna Station. No, they don't get to Lake Eyre because the Cooper has not yet reached the lake.
Jon W
FollowupID: 694553

Follow Up By: Teraa - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:00

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:00
That's weird we got confirmation that the water reached the lake weeks ago.
Wouldn't think it was boatable though unless you knew where you were going and had a boat that could do very shallow water.
But it is certainly boatable on the lake where the ferry is, there is a guy there doing boat tours and takes your camper trailer over on the ferry with his quad bike for $50.
FollowupID: 694566

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:03

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:03
Hi Peter
The first ever Lake Eyre Yacht Club Regatta was held recently like mentioned above, on Lake Kopperamanna, which is just west of the actual ferry crossing.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 694567

Follow Up By: SimonW - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:41

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:41
Hello I do not wish to hijack this post at all but if possible could Teraa advise any further information on the chap that will take campers across the coopers, as we are heading up there with the family hence camper trailer in tow & would like to complete the trip down the Birdsville track witout doing a large loop down the Strez to get to the other side. Is this person locataed near the ferry?
thank you Simon.
FollowupID: 694569

Follow Up By: Teraa - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:05

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:05
Hi
All I know is what the ferry man told me that the guy doing the boat trips near the ferry will take your trailer accross with his quad for $50. I did see a quad bike there. Wondering if Steve from Clare is around wondering if he could ask Patsy from Etunndana to confirm. I didn't see him do it while I was there but he was on his boat taking people around the Lake. I am not up there until Friday next week when I can ask him myself if you can wait.
FollowupID: 694587

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:08

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:08
Hi Tess
I have to give them a call today, so I will ask Patsy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 694589

Follow Up By: Teraa - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:20

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:20
Hey Stephen
We got good rain up the track it's keeping the Warburton running increased it's level by a foot going to be a long season. We will get major wilflowers now you will have to come up again. The place is looking glorious. And we haven't had our summer rain yet nearly all of us have doubled our yearly rain fall wicked stuff. Roads are crap though. Thanks for ringing Patsy for that bloke. I reckon it was a wicked idea about time someone came up with something. If we get confirmation might make for a thread on it's own.
FollowupID: 694590

Follow Up By: SimonW - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:23

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:23
Hi Teraa & Steve, thanks for the reply, we are heading off at the end of July from Melb for 4 weeks it has been 20years since we were up that way & we have the bug to get back there for a look around after reading Steve's previous posts. So we welcome any info on options of getting the camper across.
regards Simon.
FollowupID: 694591

Follow Up By: Teraa - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:26

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 09:26
You know I was just thinking it might be secret squirel stuff and if you think about it if there are heaps waiting to go accross it might not be fesible as it would double the trafic. I don't want to send old mate down the wrong track long way to go to find out you have to go back.
FollowupID: 694593

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 13:05

Friday, Jul 16, 2010 at 13:05
Tess and Simon
I phoned them this morning and will put up a new post, but the answer is YES, the chap is camped out by the lake and for $50 will tow the camper on to the ferry. Tess, when we saw that much water when we were up there, we made a instant decision to cancel our WA trip in August and are heading up there again via a very big detour.

Patsy had left this morning to try and head south, but they think she will have to turn back, as the River Frome was rising very fast. They also confirmed that the Track should still be closed, but there was a lot of pressure to open it. Having been out there like that before, my advise for anyone wanting to still travel it is DO NOT and wait it out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 694616

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 23:23

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 23:23
I think you may be a few days late see http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/status.html

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician