Garmin nav vs iGO8 & winCE all confusing to me

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:13
ThreadID: 80128 Views:8660 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
After a recomendation from Doug T some time back I purchased a nuvi 760...very happy and always found it accuarte and sensible in route planning.

When we purchased the LC 2 years ago I wanted an indash unit that did it all, GPS city navigation, Oziexplorer, radio, CD, ipod etc.

Was recomended the Kenwood DDX7034BT..told not to grt the one with the GPS option because the city nav (garmin?) was not compatible with Oziexplorer. So I was sold a seperate GPS system that displayed on the Kenwood

This is a HiTV . My issue is that all works fine as intended but the city navigator is iGO8 that when compared to my Garmin is very second rate...

amongst the issues when compared to the Garmin are ETA is out by about 50% at the start of a journey..and only correct when you are 5 mins away as it adjusts!....The garmin has always been incredibly accurate ETA regardless of distance of that journey.other examples have been incredibily stupid navigation suggestions in the city and country that being a local i just laughed and ignored....

put the Garmin on the windscreen and ask them both to plan the same journey and they seldom agree (and yes they have the same route instructions, shortest, quickest etc).the Garmin always makes sense

I hate igo8 (probably would not have known any better had I not had the Garmin )

So the dealer informs me I cant have the Garmin on the SD card because of compatibilty issues with either Ozixplorer or winCe (I am not sure which)

I am out of my depth here....can someone please explain what is compatible and what is not

thanks
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:28

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:28
The problem is with the "engine" or operating system your Kenwood uses, or more precisely with the Garmin application that doesn't run on the same system.

Many GPS units and smart phones run an operating system such as Windows 5 mobile that is compatible with apps like OziExplorer. Other units, like the Garmin, are more proprietary and its applications only run on an "in-house" operating system.

There is nothing wrong with the Garmin product, as long as you don't want to run non-Garmin applications, or applications that have been specifically design to run on the Garmin OS.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424305

Reply By: age - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:45

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:45
Bungarra

Bit hard to tell not knowing your base device here, but I think the dealer is telling you everything. Certainly the Garmin maps are proprietary format and will only run on Garmin hardware/software but there is a version of the Garmin product called Garmin XT especially for WinCe devices. I have a WinCe device running Ozi, Garmin, Destinator and IGO all side by side as well as a couple of Windows Mobile 6 mobile phones running Garmin XT. Took some configuring but certainly doable. I have never been successful though of running Garmnin Xt directly from the Sd card as some of the program had to be written to the device Flash memory via ActiveSync. This will mean you will have to unlock your WinCe device to get to the base Windows program to install Garmin XT

Plenty of stuff/info on the web out there on this

That said, Garmin XT is not bad, very similar to the Nuvi setup in look and feel and you can use all the Garmin maps you own.

Cheers

A
AnswerID: 424307

Follow Up By: age - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:47

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:47
ARRGGHH

Edit - but I think the dealer IS NOT telling you everything
FollowupID: 694706

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:11

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:11
age,

I know the dealer. He installed my system. It was my recommendation to Bungarra about the Kenwood.

The dealer is very good and would have gone through all the options.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 694720

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:16

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:16
See Thread 70729:

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 694723

Follow Up By: age - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 16:23

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 16:23
Thanks Gone Bush

Looks like the HiTV is a standalone (WinCe) ? plugin device for the Kenwood. Think it still would be able to run Garmin XT , but not sure what interface it has and can understand why the dealer may not want to access/alter it in this manner

Just an option

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 694733

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 13:02

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 13:02
Bungarra - msg sent
AnswerID: 424310

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 19:16

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 19:16
nick at octa-pc in midland may be able to help
AnswerID: 424332