Aussie Truck Mirrors on LC200

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:23
ThreadID: 80129 Views:3107 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We're busy getting our new Landcruiser VX ready for our 4 month trip across the North and West of this fine country. I've just tried to fit my Aussie Truck Mirrors (which worked really well on our Patrol) and am a bit concerned about how they sit.

As the strap is tightened, it appears that the two clips which slide into the window slot do not sit well, and the mirror arm actually rocks fore and aft. If I look into the window slot there appears to be one or maybe two layers that sit on the outside of the glass, and these finsih just below the outer rubber window seal. I think these do not allow the clips to bed down the way they used to in the Patrol.

As I tightened the strap further to minimise this rocking, the clips sink into the slot better, but there is still a small amount of rocking, and the outer window seal begins to get very distorted.

I don't want to damage anything - we've only had the beast for a week!

Has anyone else had this issue with ATM towing mirrors? And if so how did you overcome the problem so that the mirrors are held firmly?

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:00

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:00
They do that in my 100 as well so i just put the window right down and slide them down in the glass hole. Pays to pull them outwards while winding window up though.

They shouldnt hurt the rubbers. Mine have come through over a years worth of putting on and taknig off the mirrors OK.

Just one word I have Auger weathershields and when I put the mirrors on they were too far back from the normal mirrors.

Went to a plastics guy who cut the shields back to nearly nothing on the sill and now the mirrors sit in line with the car mirrors.

If you have the gold plated Toyota shields (LOL) that dont come right down you will be OK

Cheers.
AnswerID: 424318

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:01

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:01
Winding the wnidow up firms them up as well.

FollowupID: 694719

Reply By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 17:34

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 17:34
Graham,

Thanks for your responses. I do have the Toyota weathershields and as far as I'm concerned they are hopeless. We had Nissan weathershields on our Patrol and they were very good - they were quite wide and came right down to the windowsill. You could drive all day with the window wound down without uncomfortable drafts in the car.

The Toyota ones are not so wide - a bit like the narrow ones that Nissan sell - and they only come down to just under the top of the wing mirror. Anything more than about 2 inches of open window generates signficant drafts and discomfort for front seat passengers - very disappointing! And I'm not sure how they'd deal with a decent downpour?

I had a look for the name of your weathershields but couldn't find them - can you give me a few clues please?

Regards
LES
AnswerID: 424628

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:08
Woops didnt proof read it AUNGER shields

We cut hem with a fine jigsaw so that they are only and inch along the window sill and that allows the truck mirrirs to be just outborad of the car mirrors.
Heres the pics of them

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

MMme if you want on how to cut them with a template

FollowupID: 695140

Sponsored Links