Nallan Lake via Cue

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 00:20
ThreadID: 80181 Views:6129 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundG'day all
The inevitable has come at Nallan Lake, the powers to be have placed these signs on the road accessing what was once a nice place to stop and take a break on the road trip between Newman and Perth, along the Great Northern Highway.

This signage comes on top of the physical barriers ( drainage channels ) ploughed deep into the ground, to prevent access to the back reaches of the lake, this was where the " Free Campers " who chose to stay as it was far enough from the highway for what may have been a restful break.

The caravan park in Cue was chocka block with caravaners/campers, but the land within the north boundary of the van park is being made level, for possible future caravan sites?

Sadly for everyone who actually did the right thing, whilst staying there overnight or just a few hours, the minority who left their garbage and crap/crap paper laying around have stuffed it up ~ for everyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muntoo - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 00:58

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 00:58
Morons, that is a great place. Have always wanted to spend the night there too.
AnswerID: 424570

Follow Up By: lizard - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:06

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:06
Well , one way of displaying displeasure is NOT to purchase anything in Cue - and let the businesses in Cue know as you pass by .... simply stop , say hello , say how unfriendly your shire is and you will purchase your supplies at another town.
FollowupID: 695022

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:03

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:03
It is a great place, but it is a nature reserve, and these generally exclude campers, particular those who have in the passed left a mess at this bird sanctuary. We enjoyed our overnight on the lake.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 695091

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:01
Hi Joe F, we loved camping at Nallan Lake, one of my most unforgettable night views was there. It was a cold crisp night, still as could be, the moon set about 2am and I was awake listening to the sounds of the waterbirds on the lake, I decided to get up and go and stand by the lake for a moment, the stars were so bright you could actually see around you, they were reflecting in the water which was like glass, there were two black swans swimming by. It was the most serene and lovely sight. So I did what every good little wife would do, raced back into the caravan and shook my husband until he woke up and told him to have a look. He hasn't forgiven me yet and that was a few years ago. We stood out there for some time just taking in the shear beauty of the moment. A sight we will never forget. Unfortunately now we are unable to repeat the scene. There is not going to be too many bush camps left at the rate things are going. What a shame the minority can't see the trees for the forest. Or is it just that the caravan Parks want the business. I for one won't stay in Cue CP.

Thanks for the heads up Joe.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 424572

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 04:22

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 04:22
I think the outrage aimed at the Cue caravan park might ot be fully justified or at least not totally

nearby Nallan station i think has camping type accomadation options

I might suggest its more likely where the council lobbying came from
AnswerID: 424574

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 14:27
Didn't know that Nallan Station had accomadation getoutmore, you could be right.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695081

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:01
Hi Deanna

We stayed overnight a Nallan Station in 2003, lured in by a cute Cow Mailbox (owner said it used to have a calf with the cow, but people kept pinching it).Camp area was very quaint. We were the only campers there, and the primitive bathroom was very much into the Cow theme. I think they also did farm stay accommodation. It is a small station and the proprietor was at the time we were there working on the mines, as well as providing farm stay and camping. I think the fee we paid was pretty cheap, and power was available at the price although we didn't need it. There was also a swimming pool fully enclosed in mosquito proof shade cloth, but i don't know if that was available for guests, or just for the family. Furniture around the homestead was made from natural look logs from somewhere near where i live in the SW, which added to the rustic appeal of the whole place.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695090

Reply By: Member - Cozzie Toodyay (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 08:32
The shire of Cue have gone all out on the sign no expense spared.
AnswerID: 424580

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:39
Hi Joe

We were there on the way back from the gathering a couple of weeks ago. Although the sign was there we didn't think it was an official Shire sign.

People we were with knew of some one who had checked with the Shire and they had told them it was okay to camp there, and that the sign had been erected mainly move some long staying people on.

While we were there another 4 cars pulled in for the night. It all very well for those going south as Cue is only about 15 k's further on. But if you are heading North, left Perth in the morning it is a convenient stop, and there isn't anywhere else to stop until well further.

Alan
AnswerID: 424589

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:09

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:09
G'day Alan and all interested Forum members, I apologize if my post came across as blaming the Cue Shire or the caravan park in Cue, it wasn't meant as being anti Shire/caravan park or Nallan Station Stay.

The Shire of Mount Magnate also have had painted ~ non official looking signage at the Granites, which is another beautiful place rapidly being excluded because of morons acting irresponsibly.

I was just trying to highlight the absolute fact that places that once were quite accessable and nice places to stop and spend time at, are rapidly being shut down mainly because of irresponsible actions by "People" who just don't give an utter rats arse about what their actions may well cause once they have dissapeared into the distance.

A point of example in the Newman area ~ the free to use gas barbecue facilities on the shores of the Ophthalmia Dam have since they were put in place by BHP Billiton and the East Pilbara Shire ~ been used for target practice, they have been shot up - plain and simple vandalism - WHY !!!

BHPBilliton are a very generous corporate citizen in the region, but they don't just throw their funding away, the mindless morons who vandalize community and private property are going to bring this generousity to a stop and even the travelling public ~ YOU ~ will possibly be affected to a point.

The image included with this rant is a perfect example of stupidity to the fullest.Image Could Not Be Found
This bicycle is one of a large fleet that were donated by BHPB to be used by the "Fly in Fly out" workers housed at various accomodation villages as transport around town, I know the funding for this "Fleet of bikes" was in excess of $15,000 ~ a generous gesture repaid by stupidity.
FollowupID: 695060

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:24

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:24
We had a pleasant couple of nights stop over at Nallan Station on our last wildflower trip through those parts. Great spot to escape to and they catered for campers, vanners and provide facilities for stopovers also at the shearers quarters and 'the big house' for those inclined.

Great experience, great hosts - realy country folk.

Regards - Phil & Jill
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 424595

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:53

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:53
Does this apply to the rest area alongside the highway as well?

When we camped there overnight in June last year, we drove into the middle 'semi island' peninsular area which we had to ourselves; access was not the easiest. There were campers who had driven almost around to the rear of the lake from the north side, and some caravanners who had also got a bit away from the highway on the south side. A few late comers stopped in the rest area by the highway.

While we were there next morning, contractors came to block off the peninsular, explaining that it was to protect fauna from careless campers. They said where the caravans were on the south side was an appalling mess with rubbish. I think they said that there were bins provided there for campers in addition to those in the roadside rest area, but they were left overflowing. They were at that stage only isolating the peninsular.

It seems again that the few thoughtless people have spoilt it for the rest of us, and i do not blame the Shire Council in any way.

It was a lovely overnight camping spot, but it is a nature reserve, and usually that excludes camping. It should not however exclude stopping overnight in the roadside rest area.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 424606

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 14:37

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 14:37
Hi Motherhen, It was the roadside area that we stayed in when we were there, in the early evening we could hear the generators running from the back of the lake and at the time we did comment that being a reserve they are lucky to be able to go that far in.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695084

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 19:21
Hi Joe So it's finally happened. I worked at Big Bell Mine for about 10 yrs until it closed in 2003 and we used to go to Lake Nallen quite often for BBQues on our shift change days, and even back then we noticed the degredation that was occuring. The "sorbent bush" was always in bloom and the increasing number of disposable nappies were vividly obvious, we started to clean it up but found we were fighting a loosing battle. Sorry its come to this it was a great spot.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 424639

Sponsored Links