removing paint

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 23:38
ThreadID: 8019 Views:2804 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Was attacked by the dreaded graffity artists the other night while at the flicks and was wondering if the people of this forum could supply some hints for removing the paint from my canvas canopy, without causing major damage.

Thanks in advance
Mik
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:10

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:10
Mik, do you know what type of paint was used?
Don't like your chances too much but try turps first the a laquer thinners or as a last chance, try your Dry Cleaners and see what they can suggest. Graffitti needs to be removed ASAP before it hardens off.
Good Luckne cede malis
AnswerID: 34827

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:17

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:17
Why do we keep calling these gutless vandals, "Grafitti Artists". It only encourages them to continue this mindless criminal vandalism. I don't think Mik will see much art in having to pay for repair or replacement of his canvas canopy, because of some gutless idiot with nothing better to do with his life.

Happy trail, Mike.

BTW, good luck with the clean up, Mik.
AnswerID: 34843

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 13:14

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 13:14
Goto a panel beaters, and ask them what they recommend.

Failing that, http://www.whitepages.com.au/ and search for companies that specialize in Grafitti Paint Removal...
AnswerID: 34851

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 16:15

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 16:15
Mik
dont use any chemicals it will only push the paint further into the fibres was it sprayed on or brushed if it was sprayed on you may be able to scrape it off with a razor blade scraper.but most times with canvas you will not be able to remove it.
which state are you in , if you are in perth give me a call on 9362 6005 as we sign write on canvas regularly & would be more than willing to have a look at for you and make sujestions
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 34874

Follow Up By: mik - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 15:17

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 15:17
To all, thankyou for responding to this topic. it seems that i have a major problem on my hands and no matter how i fix the problem its going to cost $$$. the responces i have had from Exploreoz and locally are all the same, bucklys and none.

ps, bruce.h i tried scraping it off the next day but was only scraping the canves off and not the paint, was applyed fairly heavy. Also concerning the sign writing is this paint designed specificly for canvas as repainting it will cost conciderably less than replacing the conopy. any replys to paint brands or some one that can paint the canopy in the central victorian area will be greatly appriciated.

Cheers Mik
FollowupID: 25279

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:10

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:10
Gday mik
you have basicly 2 options
1) die the canvas using normal clothing dies how well this works depends on the type of canvas

2) paint the canvas using a flat acrylic paint ,it has to be flat & acrylic pva or other types of paint will not work if you use anythink other than a flat paint it will creak with continued rolling ,the down side of painting it is that you thicken the canvas & make it less flexable,any true sign shop should be able to paint it for you or you can buy paint from any solver store & paint it your self,all you need is a stiff bristle brush or roller
hope this helps
Bruce
FollowupID: 25283

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:13

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 16:13
almost forgot even with painting it may still show through as you have a sectionnthat already has a seal on the canvas so all coats over the top may show differant texture, so dont be affraid to rub it down with sand paper fisrt & between coats & keep you coats to as few as posible as the more you put on the stiffer the canvas will become
FollowupID: 25284

Reply By: Matt M - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:36

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:36
Mik, from what little I know about canvas, any types of chemical cleaners will strip the canvas of the wax?? coating that seals and preserves the canvas! It will be removed and the canvas will be left as bare cloth and deteriorate very quickly! Even using a high pressure cleaner with a truckwash soln will strip it.

I agree with the last post about scraping it with a stiff nylon brush or similar to remove the most you can and then maybe see a canvas painter to cover the whole tarp, might end up in better condition and last longer???

Goodluck with a bad situation!!

Matt.
AnswerID: 34944

Sponsored Links