solar panels

solar panels does any one out there know were we can get some fitted in melbourne area without leaving our first born as a deposit. we are getting a new van or should we just get the dealer to arrange this your advice would be appreciated. thank's. allen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 21:51

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 21:51
Hi Vicex
Mandrake, an advertiser on here, is in Wyndham Vale. Not sure if he fits them, but he supplies them, and I'm sure he would have contacts for fitting, (if indeed he doesn't do it himself).

Click on 'Directory', type solar in the search box and have a look, all the info is there for you.

Best of luck

Cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 424823

Follow Up By: jophca - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 22:11
Just my thoughts, I do not have my solar panels fix to my camper but have stored them in the back of the patrol (over 9 years now). This means I can charge the patrol main or second battery or use it on the camper. Can park patrol or camper under the shade of a tree or two and still have the solar panels in the sun, all so can move them during the day to make the most of the sun. But having said that at the end of the day it is up to you to get the set up you need, but do not skimp on panel or wire size or it may just be a dollar sucking nightmare with more problems than answers with a flat battery and hot beer. John C
FollowupID: 695289

Follow Up By: WATTS2C - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:50

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:50
You can usually ask your caravan manufacturere to fit them - jophca has made some good points too.

Get a name brand panel - don't skimp on dollars, you will regret it later on. Use 6mm core wire minimum. Also, purchase a good quality regulator - something like Morningstar.

cheers

mh
FollowupID: 695309

Reply By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:06

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:06
Vicex ,

You could consider a portable Kit rather than glueing or screwing panels permanently to the roof - and being flat will not give you the maximum from the panels except at midday up north ..A kit can be angled at the Sun and moved if necessary ..
Depending on the amount of time you will be away from mains power and the electrical appliances you will use will determine how big a setup you require -
Don't fall for the "brand name" scenario - Nearly all solar equipment is made in China and has now become probably the most efficient equipment around ..
Any panel with an efficiency rating around the 15% mark is really good ...
If you need any further info PM , email or website as shown on my profile

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 424854

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:21

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:21
vicex,
get the caravan manufacturer to *pre-wire* the caravan for your solar system, should cost you in the visinity of $220 to $260, yes a bit of a rip-off but well worth it in the long term.

You can then just add your solar regulator to the battery compartment area and the solar panels to the roof frame and then your ready to go traveling with no house battery charging problems.

Image Could Not Be Found Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 424875

Sponsored Links